Edith or Beatrice?

I know these names are stylistically very similar, but what do you think are the differences? [name_m]How[/name_m] do you picture each?

Incidentally, it’s very very very early (too early to share with family, for instance) but there is a reason for asking… :slight_smile:

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Edith[/name_f] with the sister names. [name_f]Edith[/name_f] appeals to me because it strikes me as serious and a bit bookish.

Congrats!

I absolutely adore [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. I agree with @erin beth that she feels bookish and smart, but also super sweet and sassy! [name_m]Just[/name_m] lovely :slight_smile: Easy to pronounce and spell, unexpected yet recognizable, sophisticated yet spunky. And [name_f]Edith[/name_f] works SO well with the sibling names, too!

While I do see the appeal of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], I have never fallen for her the same way. [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is an really cute nn, but [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] in full feels a bit fussy/frilly.

Good luck :slight_smile:

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] is a little more serious to me, I think because of the -th ending. [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is more flowery with its happy meaning and the [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection. The pronunciation of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] trips me up, though, and I prefer [name_f]Edie[/name_f] to [name_f]Bea[/name_f] in terms of nicknames.

I like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] more.

I think [name_f]Edith[/name_f] is better with the siblings :slight_smile:

Although I like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] I prefer [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. It seems easier to wear to me, roles off the tongue better, and includes the lovely nn of [name_f]Edie[/name_f].

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Edith[/name_f]! [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is cute too, but she’s a little sharp sounding to me. [name_f]Edith[/name_f] has a mellow, rounded warmth to her that’s a perfect match for [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_f]Anne[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. ^^

I adore [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]! She’s just so musical to say!
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] is nice too, but I think [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] just as so much more style to her.

I love both names, but I think [name_f]Edith[/name_f] works better with your other children.
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]) seem to be names everyone on nameberry loves right now, so it feels a bit more modern than [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. Also, to me [name_f]Edith[/name_f] is a bit more of a quiet bookworm than [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] though both have pretty much the same vibe

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] seems super sweet to me! [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is one of the few old-fashioned names I’ve never really liked. It seems a little stuffy and prim in my opinion.
Also, literature/film wise, I think of the little girl [name_f]Edith[/name_f] from Despicable Me, and with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], I think of the big sister from [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and Beezus.
I think they both flow well with your others though! :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. It has a prettier nn as well.

[name_f]Edith[/name_f]! I like both but I’d be more likely to use [name_f]Edith[/name_f] over [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like most prefer [name_f]Edith[/name_f], and I’m leaning that way as well.

Both are lovely names, though I like the way [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] fits with your other names best, and I like the nickname options for it more as well.

Ooh, congratulations! :slight_smile:

Both are very pretty, sophisticated choices. [name_f]Edith[/name_f] is solid, serious and strong; [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is a bit sweeter, daintier and frillier. I think [name_f]Edith[/name_f] works slightly better with your other girls’ strong classic names, but both are beautiful.

I prefer [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I prefer the style of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and the sound.