Edward, Eddie, & Edmund

We had decided to name our second son [name]Edward[/name] (first son [name]Andrew[/name]), but after thinking about it for a couple of weeks, I opened the discussion back up again. I like the name, but felt no one would call him it; [name]Eddie[/name] is such an easy nickname, and [name]Edward[/name] so formal, that I don’t think anyone besides his parents would call him [name]Edward[/name].

[name]One[/name] of our other early options was [name]Edmund[/name] (I imagine it being pronounced quickly, like [name]Ed[/name]-mind, not like a long U [name]Ed[/name]-mund). I know it’s more old-fashioned-sounding than [name]Edward[/name], but I like it for two reasons: I wonder if the novelty would cause more people to actually call him [name]Edmund[/name] rather than [name]Ed[/name] or [name]Eddie[/name] (not all, but just marginally more than [name]Edward[/name]), and also our last name starts with an M, so I think it sounds better in combo.

So, our three questions:

1. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Edmund[/name] would be at all less prone to [name]Eddie[/name] than [name]Edward[/name]?

2. Does [name]Edmund[/name] sound better with an M- last name?

3. Or is [name]Edmund[/name] just too old & stodgy for any kid?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

I adore [name]Edmund[/name]. It is my favourite of all the [name]Ed[/name]-names, and I think it would lend itself to being used whole because its distinctive. Some people will call him just [name]Ed[/name] though I’m sure.

I must say if I had an [name]Edward[/name] I’d make people call him [name]Ward[/name], not [name]Ed[/name], at least until he’s at school and making his own friends. :wink:

I just find [name]Ward[/name] much stronger and more distinctive.

I love [name]Edmund[/name]. It’s my favorite [name]Ed[/name]- name too. Personally, I don’t shorten names unless told to do so, but I think because it’s a name that’s not heard too often, it might have less people shortening it. However, there will be people who do so you should be prepared for that.

I also really like [name]Edwin[/name], which I think has a bit less shortening potential because it’s quicker to say than [name]Edmund[/name] [name]IMO[/name].

I’m not sure if I actually prefer [name]Edmund[/name] or [name]Edward[/name], both are nice but I really don’t care for the nn [name]Eddie[/name] personally, so that would be hard to ever go with an [name]Ed[/name]- name.

However, out of all the [name]Ed[/name]- names, I think [name]Edgar[/name] is probably the least likely to get [name]Eddie[/name].

Also, I love the idea of [name]Ward[/name] as an nn for [name]Edward[/name]!

I intend on using [name]Edmund[/name] for a son eventually. It has been my favourite name since I was 8 years old, I think it’s awesome!
I’m not sure that [name]Edmund[/name] is less prone to [name]Eddie[/name], though, because usually people comment, “Are you going to call him [name]Eddie[/name]?” I’m definitely going to be one of those moms who insists on the kid going by his full name, at least before he can speak for himself, haha. It’ll be “[name]Edmund[/name]” every time with me.

I think it depends what your surname is as to which sounds better. I think if you have a preference in the first name, you shouldn’t make your choice based on the surname. Go with the one you love more.

My little brothers name is [name]Edward[/name] (honouring a family member) but I love the name! it suits him perfectly. and he does in fact go by [name]Eddie[/name].
My whole family, friends, teachers, coaches, call him [name]Eddie[/name], its great! its a nice formal name with a nice nickname.

My favorite “[name]Ed[/name]” name is [name]Edison[/name]. But between [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Edward[/name], I’d probably pick [name]Edmund[/name].

I think [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Edmund[/name] are both fine. I note that a lot of people are using [name]Edward[/name] as a middle name these days, rather than as a first name. [name]Edmund[/name] is more likely to be the only one in his class.

I think it’s probably best to assume you are not going to have that much control over nicknames.

I definitely prefer [name]Edward[/name] to [name]Edmund[/name] but better still would be [name]Edgar[/name], which I just adore but not sure I’d ever use it myself.

1. I wouldn’t call either of them [name]Eddie[/name] unless told “I’m [name]Edmund[/name], but I go by [name]Eddie[/name]/[name]Ed[/name].”

2. [name]Edmund[/name] sounds fine with a M last name.

3. Deffinetly not too old or stodgy! I love both, but [name]Edmund[/name] is on my list. It’s so handsome!

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

• [name]Athena[/name]

I like [name]Edmund[/name]. [name]Edgar[/name] is really good too. Good solid traditional names.

I like [name]Edmund[/name] slightly better than [name]Edward[/name], and I love the nns [name]Ned[/name] and [name]Ted[/name] for both-- much better than [name]Ed[/name]/[name]Eddie[/name] imho.