Edward nn Theo.Could it work??

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] !

I have a minor problem. I really love the nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u] but I can’t use it as a nn for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ( family member) . So I was thinking about using it as a nn for [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. Originally I would have use Dare as a nn for [name_m]Edward[/name_m] but I think I like [name_u]Theo[/name_u] better.

What do you think?

It’s too much of a stretch?

If so could use suggest me other names besides [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] that I can use [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as a nn??

Thanks in advance.

I love both [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] equally, however it is a big stretch I don’t see how [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is a nn for [name_m]Edward[/name_m].
[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as the first name? :slight_smile:
Good luck! :smiley:

It’s not even a stretch, it’s skipping ropes. [name_m]Ted[/name_m] from [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is fine because of the similar -ed, but [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] have one letter in common, and it’s not even pronounced the same way.

[name_m]Theron[/name_m]
Theodred
Theodosius
Theodric

@ brynie :Thanks :slight_smile:
I also think it’s a bit of a stretch but I can’t get [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] from [name_m]Edward[/name_m] so I was thinking if [name_u]Theo[/name_u] could work too. I have thought about [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as a stand alone but I think I like it more on a girl. I don’t really know.

[name_m]Theon[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Edward[/name_m]?

@ [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] : Thanks :slight_smile: I definitely understand your point. I just wondering. I love your suggestions especially [name_m]Theron[/name_m].

@millienow2011 : Thanks :slight_smile: . I kind like [name_m]Theon[/name_m] but I think I prefer [name_m]Theron[/name_m].

Too much of a stretch I think. I am always unsure of “picking” out the nn - I think they should evolve naturally.
[name_m]Theron[/name_m] is nice.
I think though if your heart is set on [name_u]Theo[/name_u] then just call him [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. X

As a mum of a [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] from a long line of [name_m]Edward[/name_m]'s and [name_m]Ted[/name_m]'s… you can not get [name_u]Theo[/name_u] from [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u] is a great name in its own right. [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] is nice too and similar

I would go with [name_u]Theo[/name_u] … It is every bit as substantial as [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. Also the feminine version is [name_f]Thea[/name_f].

Thanks @suzywoo :slight_smile:

@becboo : thanks :slight_smile: [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] is lovely but I like [name_m]Edward[/name_m] more.
@paw : thanks :slight_smile: I don’t know why but I can’t bring myself to like [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. Its lovely & very similar to [name_u]Theo[/name_u] but for me something is missing. I must sound very crazy right now :stuck_out_tongue:

haha! This is great!

I agree that [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is too much of a stretch for [name_m]Edward[/name_m].

If you like [name_u]Theo[/name_u], just use [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. Like a pp said, it doesn’t need a full name.

Yes, it’s too much of a stretch. You’re thinking of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ted[/name_m]/[name_u]Teddy[/name_u], like the late [name_f]Sen[/name_f]. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] “[name_m]Ted/name_m” [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]. You could just use [name_u]Theo[/name_u] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] as a full name, since people are beginning to use [name_u]Theo[/name_u] on its own.

I’m with [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] here. It’s just too much of a stretch. It’s like when I tried to get [name_f]Posy[/name_f] out of [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]–I’ve heard [name_u]Josie[/name_u] as a nn for [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] occasionally, to avoid just [name_u]Jo[/name_u], and I skipped [name_u]Jo[/name_u], even the out-there [name_u]Josie[/name_u], and went straight to [name_f]Posy[/name_f]. I mean, it works for me, but literally NOBODY else. There’s just no tie between [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] at all. The only other suggestion I can think of is Theoden. I like [name_m]Theron[/name_m] as well, though.

And please don’t use just [name_u]Theo[/name_u] for a girl. I can’t even comprehend it. I don’t even like it for a boy, but I really don’t like it for a girl. I can’t even imagine the headache it would be to be a girl [name_u]Theo[/name_u] in a world where [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] are mega-hits (not just in the US, but internationally. I’m pretty sure they’re huge in the UK and other English-speaking countries). I usually try and avoid the whole unisex/boys-names-on-girls arguments (even though I’m fully against both), but [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is just taking it too far. [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] or [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f], nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u], wouldn’t be that bad. But not just [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

Thanks @ casilda & @ hermione_vader :slight_smile:

@ashthedreamer : thanks :slight_smile: . I consider [name_u]Theo[/name_u] on a girl since I read on web a fanfiction about a girl named [name_u]Theo[/name_u] who fall in love with a werewolf but I doubt I would ever use it. PS : I like [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] nn [name_f]Posy[/name_f] :wink:

I’m usually all about the “any nickname is fine with a reason behind it” but I don’t think that just because you like the name [name_u]Theo[/name_u], it can be a nickname for another name you like. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_u]Theo[/name_u] could be the full combination though, and you could call him by his middle name?

Thanks @ ciottolo :slight_smile: I kind like [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_u]Theo[/name_u] but I don’t feel comfortable to call him by his middle.

I guess its to much of a stretch. If I use [name_m]Edward[/name_m] I would probably use the nn Dare or the full name.

…just name him [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

Thanks @ southern.maple :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t use [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as a stand alone name on a boy. I will add [name_m]Theron[/name_m] nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u] on my list. I love [name_m]Edward[/name_m] too much to let him go :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] nicknamed Dare is very cool - much cooler than [name_u]Theo[/name_u], I think!