Edward or Alfred - Votes Please!

Our baby boy is nearly here and we can’t decide!

Our daughter is [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] and we’ve narrowed it down (I think) to:

Edward, or
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]

We often call [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Harry[/name_u] or [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] and like the nicknames [name_u]Freddy[/name_u], or [name_m]Ned[/name_m]. I fear [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] may be little too ‘stuffy’ or uncool but perhaps [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is a bit ‘predictable’ and ‘safe’? So just can’t decide!

Thoughts and votes on these options would be much appreciated.

Alfred! Oh my gosh, I love that name. I’m a sucker for any “-fred” ending name. It has a fantastic meaning, is vintage yet underused, and had some great namesakes.

2 Likes

I prefer [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. I just prefer the sound and especially the nicknames – [name_m]Ned[/name_m] is great!

Alfred is a handsome name, not too stuffy, but [name_m]Fred[/name_m]/Freddie and [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] are so popular where I am ([name_f]England[/name_f]) that they’ve just lost their spark for me. [name_m]Ned[/name_m] feels way less predictable and way more interesting as a brother for [name_f]Hattie[/name_f].

I’m sure you’ve already considered and discounted, but I prefer [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] over [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], and think it would sound lovely with [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]. Plus [name_m]Wilf[/name_m] is a great nickname!

3 Likes

Edward has my vote also, for the same reasons as [name_f]Katinka[/name_f].

2 Likes

Personally I prefer [name_m]Edward[/name_m] but both are really nice

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] on its own and as a brother to [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]. So cute!

2 Likes

I love the name [name_m]Edward[/name_m]! It’s magnificent and timeless.

1 Like

Edward! I think it’s so handsome, perfect with [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], and I love the nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m].

2 Likes

Alfred !

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is too stuffy! That said, I love the nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] but I do prefer getting it from [name_m]Frederick[/name_m].
I think I’m gonna go with [name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m] with sister [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]. A very sweet sibset :blush:

2 Likes

Alfred for the win. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is overused and very snooty posh.

2 Likes

I love [name_m]Ned[/name_m], so whatever you feel gets you there. Probably [name_m]Edward[/name_m], I’m guessing.

1 Like

Hi there.

Well, they’re both great! I slightly prefer [name_m]Alfred[/name_m]. It is a bit more interesting. It’s stuffy, sure, but in a charming way. I like [name_u]Freddy[/name_u]. And I love [name_u]Alfie[/name_u]. [name_m]Ned[/name_m] is cute too, but [name_m]Fred[/name_m](dy) is even better.

This all being said, you can just give the baby the two choices & let him pick. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love both a lot, especially with [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], but I think I slightly prefer [name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m]! [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is handsome and strong, while [name_m]Ned[/name_m] is soft and cuddly. It’s so lovely! I also like nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] for [name_m]Edward[/name_m]!
However, I also think [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is wonderful! [name_u]Freddy[/name_u] is a cute nn (though I personally prefer it spelt [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]), and [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] is adorable too. You can’t go wrong with either name in my opinion!! Maybe take both with you and decide which one suits him more?
Good luck!! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I prefer [name_m]Edward[/name_m]!

1 Like

Edward! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nn [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]

1 Like

Ooh [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] all the way! Both names are stunningly handsome but I personally prefer [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] plus the nicknames [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] and [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] are adorable!

2 Likes

If you’re in the US, I’s say [name_m]Edward[/name_m].
If you’re in the UK/Commonwealth, I’d say [name_m]Alfred[/name_m].

Congrats!

1 Like

First of all, I adore [name_u]Freddy[/name_u]. [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] & [name_u]Freddy[/name_u]!! * swoon * :heart_eyes:

I think [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is just perfect with [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], honestly. It’s [name_m]Edward[/name_m] that feels a little stuffy next to bubbly, down-to-earth [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]. Besides, with nn [name_u]Freddy[/name_u], there’s no reason [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] should feel ‘uncool’. Honestly, what else can I say to convince you that [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is SO PERFECT with [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]?? :smile:

2 Likes

I’m currently crushing on the nn [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] so [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is 100% my vote!!!

2 Likes