Effie

I had a student named [name]Effie[/name] years ago and always thought it was cute; today I was reading the obits (great for name hunters, no?) and it popped up again. I am infatuated; it falls squarely in to my old-lady-name fixation.

[name]Effie[/name] as a stand-alone doesn’t really work for me, though. Any ideas on some “official” names that could render [name]Effie[/name] as nn?

I clicked on “search for names” over to the left. You go to “supersearch”. Then be where it says starts with, put in “ef” first and then after seeing those name choices, look up “eph”. You will see many choices!

Thanks, [name]Susan[/name]! I did as you suggested but none of those names inspired me. Sigh…

[name]Effie[/name] really is adorable. I named a doll [name]Effie[/name] when I was little :slight_smile: I agree that it doesn’t really work as a standalone name though. I have absolutely no idea for a full name, but I wish I did!! I’m gonna keep thinking about this one

[name]Josephine[/name] was the first thing that came to mind. I like [name]Effie[/name]!

I will see if I can think of some names with eph or ef in the middle. Wasn’t [name]Effie[/name] the name of one of the Supremes?

[name]Don[/name]'t know where I got this, but I always thought it was a nickname for [name]Euphenia[/name].

My only experience with the name is an EE Cummings poem: “Here lies little [name]Effie[/name]'s head/whose brains are made of gingerbread” or something like that.

Regarding names and Mr. Cummings, by the way, the middle E is for Estlin.

[name]Effie[/name] is adorable. Traditionally it’s the nickname for [name]Euphemia[/name], which certainly would shock people, but it’s kinda cool. [name]Josephine[/name] is also a great suggestion! What about [name]Serafina[/name]/[name]Seraphina[/name]/[name]Seraphine[/name]?

[name]Susan[/name], not sure about the Supremes, but [name]Effie[/name] was the name of [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Hudson[/name]'s character in “[name]Dream[/name] Girls.”

You ladies are coming up with some interesting ideas… just like I knew you would!!

I’ve always known [name]Effie[/name] as the nickname for [name]Euphemia[/name] - which is rather a mouthful. I reckon [name]Effie[/name] could also work as a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name] (or [name]Elisabeth[/name]/[name]Elspeth[/name] etc.) though then you have to decide if you like it more than any of the other [name]Elizabeth[/name] nicknames eg [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Lizzie[/name], [name]Libby[/name], [name]Beth[/name] etc. You could also use it for [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Judith[/name] or [name]Meredith[/name].

Could it work as a nickname for a first name beginning with “E” and a middle beginning with “F”? For example [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Frances[/name]? That would give you many more options.

[name]Effie[/name] could be a nickname for any name that starts with an “F” like [name]Flora[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Faye[/name],and [name]Faith[/name]. Is that too much of a reach?

Good idea [name]Susan[/name]! I could see it as a nickname for any name starting with an F. Good idea about the EF initials too! Hmmm the door is opening for [name]Effie[/name], I like it!

Sort of along the line of K.C. = [name]Casey[/name].

That’s do-able. I like [name]Frances[/name] as a middle, now to settle on an E: [name]Evelyn[/name]? [name]Edith[/name]? [name]Evangeline[/name]? (I’m open to suggestions, these were just the first to come to mind.)

Possible EF combinations:

[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Fawn[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Fern[/name] (for [name]Susan[/name]!)
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Flair[/name] (roller derby name!)
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Flora[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Frederique[/name]

Thoughts? Suggestions? Creative ideas? Go wild…

[name]Estelle[/name] [name]Faith[/name] -[name]Faith[/name] is one of my favorite middle names that starts with “F”.
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Faith[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Flaviana[/name]-great rhythm!
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Flaviere[/name]-ditto
[name]Eugenie[/name] [name]Frances[/name]-so vintage
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Frances[/name]-sounds so hipster
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Fern[/name]-reminds me of a little fairy.
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Faye[/name]-so pretty, so old lady cool.
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Freya[/name]-love [name]Freya[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]-French!
[name]Eudora[/name] [name]Francine[/name]-love
[name]Estrella[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name] [name]Fern[/name]-pretty!
[name]Eleni[/name] [name]Fern[/name]-Greek!
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Flora[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]-French!

[name]Fern[/name] is the “F” version of [name]Jane[/name]! I just love it.

[name]Esme[/name] is way too cute to cover up with [name]Effie[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eloise[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] is just too pretty. Hmm, maybe [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Esme[/name] could be sisters…

[name]Faith[/name] is beautiful doesn’t work at all for us; being French, my fiance is laughably bad at the “th” sound. I have a friend named [name]Faith[/name], which he alternately butchers as “fate” and “face.” Cracks me up.

[name]Eugenie[/name] [name]Frances[/name]-- yum
I prefer [name]Eulalie[/name] to [name]Eulalia[/name], but with both I hear “ukelele.”

[name]Eleni[/name] is another lovely one; I heard it for the first time a few months ago, and it stuck with me.

[name]Love[/name] your suggestions. They all bring [name]Effie[/name] that much more attainable.

I’m glad you liked my suggestions, [name]Melissa[/name]! I saw under the old lady names that you lived down the street from [name]Eudora[/name] Welty-[name]Lucky[/name]! She is one of my favorite writers! I bet she was a wonderful person.
[name]Eulalia[/name] makes me think of really big flat leaves on bushes that are being slightly rained on so they’re barely shaking and a little water is dripping off of them. Thankfully the ukelele comparison didn’t ruin [name]Eulalia[/name] for me because I am not in love with that name. I just really like it a lot. But [name]Jill[/name] said that [name]Sylvia[/name] sounds like Saliva and now I don’t like it anymore! :^( Boo hoo! And [name]Lola[/name] ruined [name]Charlotte[/name] by saying it has harlot in it. [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] were two of my faves. Okay, everybody, don’t ruin [name]Anna[/name] or I will cry. :frowning: [name]Don[/name]'t ruin [name]Philip[/name] either. Those are my very faves.

What about [name]Effie[/name] from [name]JosEPHine[/name]? It makes a lot of sense.

There is a very famous [name]German[/name] novel from the end of the 19th century which is called “[name]Effi[/name] Briest” and I’m pretty sure it stands for Elfriede there, although I realize that Elfriede is not a very fashionable name anywhere (I guess).