Effie

[name]Annika[/name], I think Elfriede is kind of cute, actually. :slight_smile:

I love this thread because my great grandmother’s name was [name]Effie[/name] and I would love it if my son and daughter-in-law honored her when the name the twins (if either is a girl). Anyone else have ideas for more formal names that could use [name]Effie[/name] as a nn (I think it is a little unsubstantial by itself as a fn but maybe could be used in the middle)?

I’ve always known it as nn for [name]Euphemia[/name].

[name]Effie[/name] is the main character in a very funny novel by british author [name]Kate[/name] Atkinson called ‘Emotionally Weird’. I’d recommend a read - especially if you like the name [name]Effie[/name] :wink:

My Norwegian name book can help with this ^^
Someone mentioned [name]Elfrieda[/name], and yes, this is a [name]German[/name] name meaning ‘[name]Noble[/name] [name]Peace[/name]’
In addition you have the Old English [name]Elfreda[/name] which means ‘elf strength’
And even more, there’s the Norse Eldfrid meaning ‘fire, loved/beautiful’
Variations: [name]Eldrid[/name], Elfi, Elfri and Elfryd, all good historical choices to get the nickname [name]Effie[/name] ^^ Elfi is cute as well…

I never cared much for [name]Euphemia[/name] and sisters so I would actually choose [name]Elfreda[/name] to get to it. Mostly for the meaning… ^^
I’m most likely to use Elfi though, as I think it has more to it…

Thank you for the responses. You gave me some good ones to promote to them.

I think you could use it on it’s on. I don’t say that about a lot of nick-namy names but this one has enough to it I think. I really like it too:)

There was a character, [name]Effie[/name], in the book the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants and she was quite cool. [name]Effie[/name] on it’s on is Greek I think and it’s also a place name. There are several famous people called [name]Effie[/name] too, actresses, models, boxers, poets and novelists. It seems like a great name to me!

I have long adored [name]Effie[/name], but not so much [name]Euphemia[/name], so I was delighted when I stumbled upon this post. I especially like the idea of using it as a nn for the initials EF, and you’ve had some lovely suggestions.
A couple which I don’t think have been mentioned :
[name]Elodie[/name]
Elladora
[name]Evadne[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
Eponine.

[name]Effie[/name] is also a character in a show over here called Skins - a grittier version of Gossip Girl.
I’ll never forget the play I read at school, where [name]Effie[/name] was short for ‘that effing brat’ - but I hope that doesn’t put you off!

Good luck!

I know a (very) old lady known as [name]Effie[/name], her real name is [name]Elva[/name]. I used to think that it was a terrible name, but now I love it. It was ALMOST my goddaughter’s, to honour [name]Effie[/name]. Now, if you knew my goddaughter, you’d think a name that meant “leader of the elves” was perfect for her! She’s impish, charming, bright, funny, and definitely the leader of her little group! Her parents ended up choosing [name]Evelyn[/name], which is of course beautiful, but her mother and I both secretly wish she’d been brave enough to go with [name]Elva[/name]!

I’ve always known [name]Effy[/name] or [name]Effie[/name] to be a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name], I’m a [name]Brit[/name] in [name]America[/name].

[name]Josephine[/name] with the nickname [name]Effy[/name] is on my current list for our new little one due in the [name]Spring[/name]!

I really hate to be a wrench in the cog, but I feel I must bring up one hitch in the nickname [name]Effie[/name]…

In modern American vernacular, especially when texting/messaging/e-mailing, the “F” word is shortened to “eff” or “effing”. I truly hope this will be a phase that passes quickly (I hate that word!), but there will be a whole generation of people who will associate the name with this phrase.

I truly apologize!

[name]Edit[/name]: I forgot to add that if you don’t live in the US, this won’t be a problem at all!

Haha! [name]Just[/name] had to share the irony…

I just looked up the name [name]Effie[/name], and it means “pleasant speech”! Sometimes I wonder about us Americans! :slight_smile:

I think it’s really cute. Doesn’t it make more sense to have the initials be F.E. though? Since that actually makes the same sound? “Eff-Ee”??