Eileithyia's NOTD

I absolutely love [name_f]Wendy[/name_f]! :heart_eyes: I’m thrilled to see it on your NOTD thread.

1 Like

I say it’s totally my style, not as a standalone, but as a nn for my lovely [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]. I just adore it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for this fascinating post! Your research is so well-done. * applauding *

I love this detailed write-up of [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], even though I (sorry!) really don’t like the name. It’s my mum’s name and although she is absolutely awesome, she has always hated her name and I feel like I’ve been indoctrinated into disliking it too. I love [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] though!

I say mer-SAY-dehs.

Did my [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] name disappear for anyone else? For some reason, it’s not showing up for me!

1 Like

I’m not seeing it either! :frowning:

How annoying! I don’t have a save of it anywhere else unfortunately. :frowning:

Oh well! I’ll do another name today.

R.I.P [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] post
2021-2021

9 Likes

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] / [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]

“[name_f]Em[/name_f]-riss or [name_f]Em[/name_f]-rees”

This post is kind of a double whammy. Two names in one, type of thing. I hope you enjoy it! This is my first post in 5 days. Sorry I’ve been absent over the last week! Thank you to @AdroitArtemis for the recommendation! I learned a lot during this one. It has some very confusing history so I tried to keep it as simple as possible, dividing information into sections, but if anything is unclear, please don’t hesitate to ask! I want this thread to be an open resource for as many people as possible to learn about things they otherwise would never have the time to research by themselves.

POPULARITY
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] does not currently rank in the US top 1000 baby names for boys. However, it ranked at #792 in [name_f]England[/name_f] in 2019, and #185 on Nameberry in 2020. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] seems to pop up semi-frequently on Nameberry, and its popularity in [name_f]England[/name_f] and here on Nameberry may be a sneak-peak into what we can expect [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] to rise to in the United States in the future.

ORIGIN
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is a Welsh name given to baby boys. The name means “immortal”. This refers to the Greek word ‘ambrosios’. Although very different in sound, [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is actually the Welsh variation of the more widespread name [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is of Latin origin. I’ll be going more into detail with the name [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] in this post, however, I think it is relevant to include the fact that [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is very much the older brother of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], and some consider [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] to be the same name.

PRONUNCIATION
The pronunciation of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is very much open to debate. I personally find it hard to imagine the sound of this name as anything other than ‘em-rees’, although most naming guides and Youtube videos sound the name as ‘em-riss’. Maybe it’s the similarity to the Name ‘[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]’ that provokes confusion regarding this name. In Welsh, ‘hy’ makes a long ‘E’ sound (Such as in the [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]), so perhaps the complications around pronunciations stem from here.

That being said, the most phonetically correct way to say this name IS “[name_f]Em[/name_f]-riss”, like in [name_f]Carys[/name_f]. Although you could probably get away with the other pronunciation, too.

SIGNIFICANT HISTORY
When you search the name [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], the first page that comes up is a Wikipedia page for [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] was born as [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] Ambrosios and was the bishop of [name_u]Milan[/name_u]. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] was a very significant ecclesiastical figure in the fourth century. Overall, he was known for his ideas that ‘provided a model for medieval conceptions of church-
state relations’, according to Britannica. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] could be tied to this name in one of two ways - a simple Welsh version, much like [name_f]Betrys[/name_f] is for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], or perhaps [name_m]Emyr[/name_m], meaning king in Welsh, with the -rys being a very common ending in Welsh names. The first significant figure named [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] was [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] Wledig of the fifth century, who was a successful military leader who fought off invaders of his homeland. [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] of Monmouth, a chronicler, created Myrddin [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], more commonly known as [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], a mythological figure used in retellings of traditional Welsh stories about [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. The name, Myrddin [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], combined the names of the aforementioned [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] Wledig and Myrddin Wyllt, an early Welsh prophet.

Although less commonly known, [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is also categorized as a place name. Dinas [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is an ancient hill-fort located near Beddgelert in [name_u]Gwynedd[/name_u], north-west [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. As the story goes, [name_m]King[/name_m] Vortigern initially chose this location as his fortress, however, the construction on the fortress was never completed, as every day after completing their work, the next morning they’d come back and the entire work of the day would be undone. Vortigern summons the local [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] who explains to him that a pair of dragons battle each night near the fortress site, undoing all of Vortigern’s worker’s efforts.

[details=“[name_m]Merlin[/name_m]”]
Illustration from Merlin - Wikipedia ([name_u]Artist[/name_u] [name_u]Howard[/name_u] Pyle, 1903)

[/details]

[details=“[name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]”]
Picture from St. Ambrose - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online

[/details]

[details=“[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] Wledig”]
Illustration from Ambrosius Aurelianus - Wikipedia ([name_u]Artist[/name_u] unknown)

[/details]

[details=“Dinas [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] Grynedd, [name_m]Wales[/name_m]”]
Picture from Dinas Emrys Gwynedd, Wales.
[/details]

[details=“Sources / Further [name_m]Reading[/name_m]”]

[/details]

Thank you for reading! Here is your reward: :strawberry: (Healthy reward today)

[name_u]Poll[/name_u] time!

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer ‘[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]’ or '[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]?

• [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]

0 voters

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like the name [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]?

• :heart_eyes: I love it!
  • :smile: I like it
  • :thinking_face: I’m neutral
  • :unamused: I dislike it
  • :angry: I hate it

0 voters

Which pronunciation is intuitive for you?

• [name_f]Em[/name_f]-riss
  • [name_f]Em[/name_f]-rees
  • Other (reply!)

0 voters

7 Likes

@eileithyia I’m not sure if you’re taking suggestions, but if you are, I’d love to learn about [name_f]Sura[/name_f], my newest name crush. There seems to be so many different stories behind it!!

1 Like

Thank you so much for doing this one! I’ve always wondered where such a unique name comes from! I’ve loved this name for a while and now reading this has sparked a new love of it in me. I guess I’ll just have to add it to my user card (once I finally get rid of my holiday names lol)

1 Like

These are amazing! I love how thorough all the information is. I don’t know if you’re taking suggestions right now, but if you are, I’d love to see [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] one day whenever you can!

LOVE [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] :heart: Thank you for this wonderful write-up!

2 Likes

A surprise revival for the topic! I stopped updating this thread in January, when school started back up for me. However, I have graduated and now have free time until February… Stay tuned for more Eileithyia name specials. :wink:

Alaska

“Uh - LA - skuh”

POPULARITY
Alaska does not currently rank in the US top 1000 (or anywhere else, as far as I know). However, it’s currently ranking at #913 on Nameberry, and Nameberry has been known for predicting future trends! The first time Alaska appeared on the SSA database was in 2013, when it was given to 5 baby girls. It has appeared on the database every year since then, but hasn’t cracked the top 1000. In 2020, the name was given to 38 baby girls - the highest recorded number, accounting for 0.003% of babies born in the United States last year.

ORIGIN / HISTORY
The name Alaska derives from the word “alaxsxaq” which is Aleutian for “mainland”. Or, if you want the literal meaning, “the object towards which the action of the sea is directed”. The Aleut language is incredibly fascinating, and sadly, a critically endangered language. It is thought that there are up to 100 living speakers left, mostly speaking the Pribilof dialect. This language can be found in the Aleutian Islands, which stretch from Western mainland North America to Eastern Russia. Despite how devastating it is that the language is disappearing, I am grateful that the language is somewhat immortalised in the names of the areas it was spoken.

IF YOU LOVE ALASKA, YOU MAY LOVE…
Juliska! Juliska is of Latin orgin and means “youthful; Jove’s child”. I thought this name was a very special and unique find, so I just had to share it with you all.

ALASKA POLLS

Do you like the name Alaska?

• Not for me, but for someone else.
  • Totally for me!
  • Hmm, not sure - neutral.
  • Not a fan, unfortunately.

0 voters

Do you prefer Juliska or Alaska?

• Juliska!
  • Alaska!
  • You can’t make me pick, I like them both!

0 voters

Aleutian Islands (outlined):

Scenery of the islands:

13 Likes