Eilonwy / names ending in -wy??

I’ve seen Eilonwy around, and it started growing on me, until I realized I was thinking it was ELIONwy (which I was saying ell-ee-on-wee).

I don’t like Eilonwy as much, and I don’t think Elionwy is a name, so I’m wondering, do you know of any other names ending in -wy that could be used for a girl?

I love Eilonwy (eye-lon-wee). It’s darling but I can see why you wouldn’t like it after finding out you were saying it wrong. :frowning: Are you looking for the WY ending or is it the wee sound you’re wanting?

I found:

[name]Aeronwy[/name]
Chapawy
Creirwy
Myfanawy
[name]Myfanwy[/name]
Snowy :stuck_out_tongue:

In case it’s the wee sound you’re liking:

The only ones I know are [name]Aeronwy[/name], [name]Gwenfrewi[/name], and [name]Myfanwy[/name]. I’d be interested in learning more as well. :slight_smile:

All I can think of is [name]Huey[/name], [name]Dewey[/name] and [name]Louis[/name]. Sorry.

Eilonwy was made up for a book I think. The author uses Welsh sounds but doesn’t pronounce them right. He says it’s ‘eye-lon-wee’ but the correct pronunciation would be ‘AY-lon-wee’, if that makes a difference. :slight_smile:

Here is a whole shed-load of Welsh girls names and their pronunciations: Welsh Names. Eilonwy is on there.

Generally they’re spot on but I noticed they’ve forgotten that the ‘ng’ letter in Welsh contains a silent g. So like, [name]Angharad[/name] would be ‘an-ha-rad.’ Also [name]Carys[/name] is ‘KAH-riss’.

Not only that, but I couldn’t use Eilonwy if it’s (eye-lon-wee) because my cousin has a son named [name]Ilan[/name]. That’d be too similar for me, I think. I believe it’s the “wee” sound I’m interested in, as it’s not really a common sound to hear in a name.

I’m kind of intrigued by [name]Aeronwy[/name]. Though maybe as a middle name since I think where I live people’d say air-on-wee.

renrose: Thanks for the list! I’m intrigued by a lot of these, though some I wish were pronounced slightly differently, haha.