Eily Sage What do y'all think?

When we were looking for names for our first kiddo, my husband and I both loved the name Eily [name]Sage[/name] (pronounced EYE-lee). We had a boy ([name]Everett[/name] [name]Callan[/name]) but we still love Eily if we have a girl next. I found it when I was looking for Eilonwy. She is our favorite female literary character from the Prydain chronicles by [name]Lloyd[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. It turns out Eilonwy is just a name he made up for his book, but I did find Eily (meaning light) on a different website. We both loved it, and still do, but I want to know how it would be received by others. [name]Sage[/name] is just something I came up with in the mountains one time. I love sage brush and I thought that would satisfy my crazy nature name loving side :slight_smile: What do y’all think of the name? I would love your honest opinions. I promise you won’t hurt my feelings if you hate it :wink: Thank you!

I think you’re going to have some spelling/pronunciation issues, especially with non name nerds who would probably hear it and think that it was absurd. On the bright side I think [name]Isla[/name] nn Eily would be adorable and funnily enough [name]Isla[/name] [name]Sage[/name] is on my own list!

I have considered [name]Eilah[/name] nn Eily, but the spelling issue is the same. I live in a predominately hispanic and largely spanish speaking area in [name]Texas[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] would always be pronounced eesla. In fact, that is how I thought everyone pronounced it till I saw a pronunciation key for it. Otherwise, I really liked the name, and if I moved somewhere north it would be fine. Thank you!

I didn’t have any trouble with the pronunciation although others might. I think it is very unique but not in a bad way. It isn’t my style but I still think it is cute!

I also guessed the prn you want. The website probably had it as a variant of some form of [name]Helen[/name].

My reaction: I like the sound, for sure, don’t love the spelling - seems destined for trouble - but not sure what is better. A few thoughts:

[name]Aili[/name] is a Finnish spelling of a name, same prn as what you have for Eily, and some websites also give it as a [name]Helen[/name] variant. [name]Aili[/name] probably has its own prn issues, although people might get it right (might try it to rhyme with [name]Kaylee[/name], but probably figure no one’s name would start with “ail”). To me, it looks more “right”, but, I have Finnish heritage so that might be why.

I notice Eily kind of looks like [name]Elly[/name]. Eilie maybe is a little clearer (even though [name]Ellie[/name] exists) because the first i kind of brings out the next one?

I think Eily is OK if you’re willing to deal with the trouble.

Besides [name]Aili[/name]…personally, I find [name]Eileen[/name] lovely (also [name]Aileen[/name]), and Eily will probably be heard as [name]Eileen[/name] sometimes. [name]Eileen[/name] [name]Sage[/name] nn Eily looks and feels much more life-long wearable, to me.

There’s also the Hebrew [name]Ayelet[/name], which is pronounced a lot like Eyelet…you could also just do Eyelet, nn Eyely, Eyelie, Eyelee…?

Thanks Jesba! I’m putting your suggestions into consideration. [name]One[/name] more question for everyone: [name]Do[/name] you think Eily works ok as an adult name? Or would it be better to go with [name]Eila[/name]/[name]Eilah[/name] nn Eily? My concern is with [name]Eila[/name] being so close to [name]Isla[/name], which is becoming so popular.

I think the name is beautiful! Maybe to clear up the pronounciation issue you could spell it Eileigh.

I would maybe consider [name]Eila[/name], because it sounds a lot more sophisticated on your resumee and stuff. I still prefer [name]Isla[/name], though, and think you’d probably have equal pronunciation issues with Eily and [name]Isla[/name]. I actually read the topic name as [name]Elly[/name] first, so I agree with the previous poster about that.

My first guess was that Eily might be a variation of the newly-coined name “Ily,” which stands for “I love you.” I actually really like the idea of using Eilonwy as a full name, perhaps with Eily as a nickname. Eilonwy goes even better than Eily with the middle name [name]Sage[/name], and I think it would be great to have a name taken from classic literature.

This name is cute, and personally, I think of the girls name Eisley when I see it–and I do enjoy Eisley (the meaning = cheerful)! :slight_smile:

I teach an Eily, pronounced as you wish, in an Australian high school. Couldn’t tell you if it’s short for anything. She doesn’t seem to have any troubles with it, though we are all familiar with the name by now.

[name]Love[/name] the sound of Eily, love [name]Sage[/name] too.
Second pp thoughts about spelling/prn issues.

emiliaj

yeah it’s a super cute name and great take on [name]Ellie[/name] and the other more popular names. I really love the suggestion of Eileigh…gives it a little more umph then just a bunch of vowels and it’s easy(ier) to read and pronounce…I like it with [name]Everett[/name] too…

Eily kind of looks like a chopped-up [name]Riley[/name]. I like it as a nicknames, but not a given one. I do like Eilonwy though, especially if it comes from classic literature. [name]How[/name] is it pronounced?

I like [name]Isla[/name] w a nn Eily…I do think it is hard to figure out how to say when you see it initially. If that doesn’t bother you, then go for it!

I like it. I think it fits with name trends right now, and I don’t think it’s weird. I knew a boy “Ily” way-back-when.

Might be some pronunciation issues, but no more than [name]Eva[/name] as “Ay-va” or “e-va.” I think Eily [name]Sage[/name] is so pretty!

Thanks everyone! Y’all have given me a lot to think about. Eilonwy is pronounced eye-LAWN-wee. We heard an introduction from the author (done a long time ago) and that is how he pronounced it. I have also heard people use EYE-lawn-wy. We love the full name, but we were afraid it would be a bit of a mouthful.

She will have a lifetime of pronouncing/spelling her name.

I would automatically think this was a misspelling of [name]Eilidh[/name] (AY-lee or EYE-lee) which is pretty common in the UK.

[name]Eilish[/name] would also be an option, nn Eily?

I love the name [name]Eilidh[/name], but it would be impossible for people here in [name]Texas[/name] to pronounce correctly :wink: [name]Eilish[/name] isn’t bad, but it kinda reminds me of [name]Alisha[/name], which I don’t like at all. I do worry about her always having to spell her name, but I thought if it was only 4 letters, maybe it wouldn’t be too bad. She will have to spell her last name all the time anyways. It isn’t a strange last name, there are just two ways it can be spelled, and people usually pick the wrong one :slight_smile: I don’t know if my logic makes sense or if I’m just making excuses because I love the name so much. Thank you so much everyone for your input! :slight_smile: