Eleanor: Make Me Love It Or Dislike It

[name_m]Just[/name_m] like the title say, make me like the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or dislike it. I just never got the hype of it. What’s significant about [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], why is it so commonly love, or popular? Am I missing something? What are the pros/cons of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]? TIA!

It’s gorgeous, it’s classic, and it’s a literary love! Lots of spellings, well-loved in lots of countries, and oh so charming.

3 Likes

I was never a fan before The Haunting of [name_m]Hill[/name_m] House and The Good Place. I just didn’t care for it. Now I feel like it has so many nicknames that make it very diverse and appealing to so many (Ella, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], etc) which makes it less boring to me. It’s still not my favourite, but I do really like it now. Maybe seeing different characters wear it differently helped too.

3 Likes

so so so gorgeous! classic but not old, so many nickname possibilities, and a gorgeous and interesting sound!

2 Likes

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] has such elegance and strength and has so many cool nicknames!!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]!

Pros:

• It’s such a solid, strong name that still holds elegance and style
  • It’s unbelievably timeless but still has a hint of its medieval history
  • It’s rich in history, with many notable namesakes, and has ties to literature especially with the [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] spelling
  • It has an array of alternate spellings, often giving the name a whole new feel (Elinor is my favourite)
  • It has multiple nicknames, from [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] to [name_f]Leni[/name_f] to [name_f]Nell[/name_f]

Cons:

• [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is still pretty much the ‘default’ nickname (and a super common one)
  • It’s steadily rising in popularity all over the world
3 Likes

oh, eleanor has to be one of my absolute favorite names! the elegant sound, the vintage chic, just everything.

2 Likes

love love love love it (literally one of my favourites of all time - especially with the nn nora :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Pros:
• It has a lot of nickname options (Ella, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_f]Nelle[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], etc.)
• [name_m]Classic[/name_m]
• Nearly everyone has heard of it

Cons:
• Dated
• [name_u]Will[/name_u] be misspelled often

This has always been a name that I feel kind of “meh” towards. It’s not my favorite or my least favorite. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I used to dislike the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. But now I love it! I thought that it was clunky & dark. Then one day I over heard a little [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] at the children’s museum. She was playful & spunky & best of all had a brother named [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. I’ve always loved [name_u]Finn[/name_u], & hearing them as a pair made me love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. It turned from clunky & dark to bright & adventurous & smart & bold & feminine w/out being frilly. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandma was named [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], so the fact that it has the nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] is an extra bonus for me personally.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve always loved lacey southern names but with European flair, and Eleanor Fits both vibes perfectly for me. Before I was fully aware of naming trends, Eleanor & Agatha were old names that I was excited for, little did I know how popular Eleanor was becoming :joy:

My favorite nicknames would be Ella & Nellie!

2 Likes

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is gorgeous :white_heart:

Such a beautiful classic with a rich history and a range of wonderful nicknames.

2 Likes

I think it’s mostly the literary thing for me, it’s very [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] and so has a timeless and elegant quality to it. It’s one of those names I never really used to understand when I was younger, but nowadays is definitely up there on my list. [name_f]My[/name_f] tastes have changed a lot over the years though!

3 Likes

Pros:

• It’s timeless, so it won’t feel dated
  • It has many useable nicknames (Ella, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], Nora)
  • It’s easily wearable
  • It’s not super popular, but still recognize able
  • It’s easy to pronounce
2 Likes

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is timeless, pretty and elegant.

2 Likes

eleanor is just sparkles for me :sparkles:

i first fell in love with her as an honor name for my great grandma, now i think I’d name my baby eleanor either way!

to me, it’s the perfect balance between beautiful and strong, and just so darling with nicknames nell & nora.

3 Likes

For me [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is Sense and Sensibility (Elinor in fact) and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] of [name_f]Aquitaine[/name_f]. I love nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f] in particular, and there are lots of other nn options. But it also works as the full name and doesn’t need shortening. The sounds are elegant and a touch ethereal. Up till now it hasn’t been over exposed, but that could change.

2 Likes

There’s something about the -nor ending that makes me not love the name. I think, for me, it ends too abruptly. I like [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], though. It sounds lighter and more feminine.

1 Like

I never liked the name. It always sounded really strained to me.