Eleanor

Explain to me why everyone loves the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I’m frankly bored, but I want to understand.

1 Like

It’s not for me, but I think a lot of people like it because it’s vintage with the oh-so-popular modern-vintage nickname [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. Or there’s the sweet, less common options of [name_f]Nora[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. Those seem to be giving draws right now for people, name nerds and non name nerds alike. That’s probably why, but I’m really not crazy about the name either so what do I know lol.

3 Likes

Because it’s sophisticated and has lots of nickname options. I think it might be the new [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. I always think of Eleanor Roosevelt, who was awesome, but the name seems “vintage” to me rather than classic. I’d never heard the name in the modern context before it’s spike in popularity. Ellie and Nell are darling nicknames :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I have a thing for the ‘or’ sound at the end of names; it’s why I also love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. To me [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is just so elegant and sophisticated, and has such great nicknames (the only one I dislike is [name_f]Nora[/name_f]). [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite are [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and [name_f]Leni[/name_f].

2 Likes

It’s elegant and strong with lots of nickname possibilities. It’s also my middle name so i have a soft spotfor it

1 Like

I can tell you why I love it.

1. Eleanor [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
  2. Eleanor [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
  3. Eleanor [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
  4. Eleanor of [name_f]Aquitaine[/name_f]
  5. That it is multisyllabic yet not the usual -a ending name like [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]
  6. Its solidity and strength, a result of its length, its associations, and how it looks in print
  7. Huge number of nn options
  8. The sound of it, both the soft el and or and then the n and r sounds which are strong
  9. Love the nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
  10. Finally, I am a sucker for words/names with a superfluous vowel (the a). Words like pageant (sp?), [name_m]Taos[/name_m], peony. Not like [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] though (STILL don’t know how to say that one!).
5 Likes

Sounds strong, decidedly feminine, and doesn’t have a cutesy/sweet ending. Also, a whole lot of nickname options. Short, easy to spell. Easy to pair with other names.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and I actually am not huge on any of the nicknames ([name_f]Ella[/name_f] is my favorite, but I prefer the full name), although I think the nickname potential is a plus for many parents. I personally like that it has a long, rich history and feels like it could suit any type of girl or woman in any age or time. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] could be medieval, Victorian, 20th century, or modern, and she could be a baby, a grandmother, or anywhere in between. I like traditional names because they’re versatile. Also, the sound and look of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is graceful and smooth but not frilly.

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] because the name is versatile, understated, has a long history, and I like the sound!

1 Like

I wish I liked it, because it feels light and homely like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], but there was this awful character in St. [name_u]Clare[/name_u]’s named [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], so all I think is ice queen.

1 Like

It’s a vintage name that has made its way back into popularity. I kinda like it, but I don’t know if I’ll use it.

1 Like

I honestly don’t see it. It sounds prude and boring to me, and I get why some people would like a stern and professional sounding name. I prefer names that are vibrant and give life. I think that it’s definitely because of [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], and it will fall out of fashion soon enough when [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] becomes overused.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. It’s feminine, strong, literary, and timeless (but not quite classic like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]). I think those four qualities make it the ideal name for certain parent circles — I live in a college town and I feel like all the academics just love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

I predict that it will remain popular among a certain set for quite some time. I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]’s been mainstreamed mostly based on nicknames like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], and that trend may die off sooner.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound pretty to me, so I’m totally with you on this one! I want to understand it, but I can’t! [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] has more spunk to it, so I like that a bit more!

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] I think it’s classy, has great historical references, a range of beautiful nicknames and I definitely agree could be the next [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

1 Like

Classic, feminine yet not overly frilly, formal yet has lots of nickname options, various namesakes - I think it ticks a lot of different boxes for different people, and its versatility has contributed to its popularity.

2 Likes

It’s not my favorite but I can appreciate how it’s a strong and classic girl name that doesn’t end in an -a sound and has great namesakes.

2 Likes

It’s common enough that everyone knows how to pronounce it and has [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] has nicknames which are nice

2 Likes

You know, I never liked [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but it’s actually recently been growing on me. It’s been used in a fair amount of media lately that I’ve watched/read and I think that’s why I’m liking it more than before. I also love [name_f]El[/name_f]- names although I would prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], or [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] still over [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I think it’s very accessible with so much nickname potential, has a classy modern-vintage feel, and as others have said, great namesakes. It’s not for me but I think I get it a bit more now.

2 Likes