Elegant name with cute nickname (Mollie)

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries!

This is my first time posting on the forum - ever! - so I’m really looking forward to putting our name-crazy minds together. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

My husband and I are expecting our first baby, a girl (!!!), and we are just starting to put together a prospective name list. I love classic names like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (our absolute favourite right now but we’re discouraged by how popular it and “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” are :frowning: ) and [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], and those a little “cooler” like [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] and [name_u]Harper[/name_u]. I think we will end up choosing a classic name that has a cute nick name. For example, [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] for [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] etc.

I love the nickname [name_f]Mollie[/name_f] but cannot think of anything besides [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as first names that would warrant [name_f]Mollie[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] but my husband doesn’t. We would love to hear classic names that have nicknames like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] too - and maybe a nickname for [name_f]Harriette[/name_f] that is not [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f]!

To give you a guideline, our last name is monosyllabic and starts with S. Thanks so much!

Have you considered [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]? It’s pronounced ah-[name_f]MOLL[/name_f]-ee-ah, and the nn [name_f]Mollie[/name_f] makes perfect sense for it, in my mind! I think [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] S[wan] (for example!) sounds very sweet and dignified. While I don’t adore [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], personally, I think [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]'s gorgeous, and [name_f]Mollie[/name_f]'s adorable for it. That’s really the only thing I can think of, besides the perennial [name_f]Mary[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (or even [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]!).

NNs for [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]: [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_f]Hetty[/name_f]?

I’m not sure about a full name for [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], but I think [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] would be an adorable full name for the spunky, adorable [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]!

Hmm, classic, with cute/spunky nicknames. What about:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] “[name_f]Posy[/name_f]”
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] “[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]”
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]”
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] “[name_f]Nell[/name_f]/[name_u]Norrie[/name_u]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f]”
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] “[name_u]Piper[/name_u]/[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]/[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]/[name_f]Nell[/name_f]/[name_f]Lola[/name_f]”
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] “[name_f]Lola[/name_f]” (absolutely love [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] for this, as well!)
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] “[name_u]Caro[/name_u]/[name_f]Cara[/name_f]/[name_f]Callie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Georgia/name_f “[name_f]Gigi[/name_f]/[name_u]Georgie[/name_u]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] “[name_f]Annie[/name_f]/[name_f]Lise[/name_f]/[name_f]Elise[/name_f]/[name_f]Nell[/name_f]”
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]/[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] “[name_f]Evie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] “[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]/[name_f]Dora[/name_f]/[name_f]Thea[/name_f]”
[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] “[name_f]Via[/name_f]/[name_f]Etta[/name_f]/[name_f]Lettie[/name_f]”
Beatriu (rare Catalan form of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], I believe, pronounced bee-ah-troo! I love it. Maybe not quite classic enough, but inspired by a classic. Or potentially, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]? It has the spunky [name_f]Bea[/name_f] or [name_f]Trixie[/name_f]…)
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] “[name_f]Leni[/name_f]/[name_f]Nell[/name_f]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f]/[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] “[name_f]Immy[/name_f]”
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] “[name_f]Evie[/name_f]/[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]/[name_f]Niamh[/name_f]”
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] “[name_f]Emma[/name_f]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]”
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] “[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]” (or [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f], or [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]…)
[name_f]Verity[/name_f] “[name_f]Vera[/name_f]/Very”
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] “[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]/Litty/Fliss/[name_f]Flick[/name_f]/Lissy/etc.”

Good luck!

[name_f]Harriette[/name_f]

[name_f]Ria[/name_f]
[name_u]Ari[/name_u] or [name_f]Aria[/name_f]

Wow [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]! Thank you SO much! Hubby is asleep right now but I will be sure to share [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] with him tomorrow - cherry on top is that it plays off my middle name, Amilea! I also [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], so cute! Your list comprised so many names I adore - can’t wait to share them tomorrow morning and get his opinion. Thanks again!

I love [name_f]Mollie[/name_f], but can’t think of anything besides [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] for it. I do think the suggestion of [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] is pretty. Other suggestions:

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Lane[/name_u], [name_u]Laney[/name_u], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], or [name_f]Elle[/name_f])
[name_f]Katerina[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Rina[/name_f], [name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], or [name_f]Kate[/name_f])
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_u]Randi[/name_u], or [name_f]Randa[/name_f])
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Tora[/name_u], [name_f]Vika[/name_f], [name_f]Ria[/name_f], or the more common [name_f]Tori[/name_f] and [name_f]Vicky[/name_f])
[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Ria[/name_f], [name_u]Lex[/name_u], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u], [name_u]Alex[/name_u], or [name_f]Andria[/name_f])
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Emme[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], or [name_f]Emma[/name_f])
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], or the dated [name_u]Lisa[/name_u])
[name_f]Aislinn[/name_f], pronounced [name_u]Ash[/name_u]-lyn (nn [name_u]Ash[/name_u])

Of course, there’s always [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and the myriad of nicknames that go with that – [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Liza[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f], etc.

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mollie[/name_f]?

Traditionally, [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is a pet form of [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Doesn’t get more classic than that!

I was just trying to think up a long name for [name_f]Mollie[/name_f] myself! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you posted this! I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] the suggestion of [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] - never heard that before but it’s very pretty. Too bad it’s probably too matchy with my DD’s name, but I might add it to my list anyway.

Others that I’m considering, that you might also like, are:
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] nn Haddie
[name_f]Elaine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lainey[/name_f]

Our daughter is [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]!

Or:
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f], nicknamed [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is the most obvious choice.

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

What about:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ([name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_f]Posey[/name_f], Phiney, [name_u]Finn[/name_u])
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] ([name_f]Vita[/name_f], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_f]Ria[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Cori[/name_f])
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] ([name_f]Viv[/name_f], [name_f]Vienne[/name_f])

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t write off [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] – unless you don’t like [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] – which are my favorites.

I also like [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] ([name_f]Emme[/name_f]) and [name_f]Honora[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] ([name_f]Nora[/name_f]). [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] ([name_f]Nora[/name_f]) works. For [name_f]Molly[/name_f] – [name_f]Melisande[/name_f]?

Mollineau
Molinya
Mollitia
Moschatelle

I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] with the nn of [name_f]Molly[/name_f]/[name_f]Mollie[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Willa[/name_f]/[name_f]Willow[/name_f]

Another [name_f]Mollie[/name_f] suggestion might be [name_f]Marlo[/name_f]

[name_f]Theresa[/name_f]/[name_f]Teresa[/name_f] or [name_f]Therese[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or [name_f]Tessa[/name_f].

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]

Wow everyone, thanks for these excellent suggestions! Of all these, our favourites are [name_f]Marlo[/name_f] (love it! Never thought of it but it makes sense!) And [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] - sparked a hunt for a sweet combined name containing [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Thank you so much!!

I shan’t give up on [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and I still feel she will come out on top! I have discovered so many lovely names but very few have been able to make that same emotional connection with me, as [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] does. Still, I grew up always having another [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] in my classes, and it stinks! I don’t want my child to have that same situation of being referred to by last name. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is the nickname I love for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but I know my hubby will choose [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and stick with it! So, the search continues… Recently my husband and I have thought it would be lovely having a little [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] running around. Full name suggestions for that? [name_f]Merci[/name_f] beaucoup `a tout le monde!

[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] “[name_f]Molly[/name_f]”