Eleni - what do you think of this name???

I just came across this name, and think it is so pretty! It is very similar to another name we have been considering - [name]Elaina[/name]. What do you all think of [name]Eleni[/name]? And is ee-[name]LAY[/name]-nee the correct way to pronounce it? [name]Do[/name] you think there would be a lot of pronunciation issues?
Thanks!

[name]Eleni[/name] is a Greek name. I think it is pronouced Eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nee. I knew a Greek family that pronounced it that way.

I absolutely love it! My brother and [name]SIL[/name] were going to name their second child [name]Eleni[/name]. They pronounced it like [name]Melanie[/name] without the M. It would’ve been really cute paired with older sister, [name]Aria[/name], too. But, alas! They had a BOY! [name]Aria[/name] and [name]Liam[/name] it is. I wouldn’t want it any other way though!

[name]Hi[/name]! I know two people named [name]Eleni[/name]: one is a little girl and one is a woman in her 40s or so, and both pronounce their name as eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ee. Behind the Name has the pronunciation listed as eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ee, but if you click on the comments, people pronounce it as both eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ee and eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nee, with some other pronunciations in the mix, too. Meaning, origin and history of the name Eleni - Behind the Name

I think it’s a beautiful name! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! Looks kind of like there could be some pronounciation issues here. Nameberry lists it as ee-[name]LAY[/name]-nee, but several of you suggested other pronunciations. I like the eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ee one, but I find it much easier to say EH-len-ee. :slight_smile: Too bad it’s not EH-len-ee, as that would be a perfect way to honor a family member, [name]Ellen[/name]. Hmmm… I’ll have to think about it.
Thanks agian for the input!

Greek pron. is eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ee. It is still related to [name]Ellen[/name], so it is still a good way to honor someone named [name]Ellen[/name] or any name related to [name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Helen[/name].