Eliana or Aviva

We are stuck between [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]. We both think [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] maybe slightly edges out [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], but we keep hearing that all of the “el” names are SO popular. On the other hand, many people we know seem to not know how to pronounce [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] (and we have also heard it is a big insurance company, though not in the US, where we live). Several people seem to think it is pronounced A-vive-a. We do not want her to have to correct her whole life, but growing up as a [name_f]Sara[/name_f], I’m not too keen on a very popular name. Any thoughts? Last name is one syllable . . .

Thanks!

I love both of your choices so you really can’t go wrong. I’m having a difficult time deciding so just based on the fact that [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] may default to [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a nickname which is much too common for my taste, I would choose [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]. I wouldn’t be too concerned with pronounciation issues and I agree that they may come up, but people just have to be told once and then they know, not a big deal.

I love both

I think I prefer [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], and I don’t think [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is on same level of popularity as [name_f]Sara[/name_f]

But I agree [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is probably a little more unique, and I don’t think it is difficult to pronounce

I like [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] more than [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] as a name, I think [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] has a character of its own

I prefer [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]'s spunky character. If there are pronunciation issues, it only takes a simple correction.

I like [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] best. It’s sweet and elegant. I may be a bit biased against [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] though as I do think of the insurance company (obviously not a problem for you though)

I prefer [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]! I’m European and I’ve never heard of any company, though I don’t live in the UK/[name_f]Ireland[/name_f] so I wouldn’t know about how well known it is in other European English-speaking countries.
Anyway, like another poster said, it’s not that hard to correct someone, even though I think most people would pronounce [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] the right way. It’s a very pretty, unique and lively name with cute nicknames. I like [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] too but I think she’d end up going by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] which is a very popular nickname right now, something that I’d avoid if I were you

I like both names, and know girls (one in her late teens, the other in her early 20s) with both.

However, I think [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] has more character than [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is certainly pretty, but doesn’t feel as vibrant or striking to me as [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] does. I also share your concerns about getting lost in a sea of [name_f]El[/name_f]- names.

I agree with pp that if people can’t pronounce [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], all it takes is a simple correction. Seems to me like there are only two ways to pronounce it, after all.

I met the [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] I know in a summer camp setting and no one there seemed to have problems with her name. I think it made her stand out in a good way.

I prefer the spunk of [name_f]Aviva[/name_f].

I prefer the lyrical, elegant [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]! But maybe [name_f]Liana[/name_f] would work better for you, in order to avoid [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and general [name_f]El[/name_f]- confusion?

Good luck :slight_smile:

Ooh, [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is so spunky, pretty, and full of life. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is nice but I would find it hard to pass up [name_f]Aviva[/name_f].