Eliana vs Oriana

I am having the hardest time deciding on a name for our first baby girl!

We have two sons - [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u], if that helps. [name_m]Jax[/name_m] and EJ for nicknames.

What are your thoughts on [name_f]Oriana[/name_f]? What about [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]?

[name_f]Oriana[/name_f] - means golden/sunrise. Ri could be a nickname.
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] - means God has answered. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] could be a nickname.

Both are older and fairly uncommon names.

Middle names we are considering: [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] or [name_f]Faye[/name_f]

Open to other suggestions as well but would really like opinions between these two! Thanks so much! :two_hearts:

I prefer [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], because it gives you a new initial in the sibling set, rather than an [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] matching with [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and leaving [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] out.

But I would caution against using it with the middle name [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] and opt for [name_f]Faye[/name_f] instead. [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] might sound close to “orally”.

5 Likes

Both are lovely names. I like that [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] has a different initial to your boys, but I think [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is a more similar vibe to [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u].

For both names, I prefer the middle name [name_f]Faye[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] is quite repetitive with the two “lee” sounds, and while it isn’t as matchy for [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], you still have a strong “ee” sound in both names.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Oriana[/name_f]! It’s unique and gorgeous. I’m not sure where you are from but [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is very common in the US right now, ranking at #53 in popularity. That being said it is pretty too.

Some other ideas that give me the same feel…
[name_f]Aliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aviana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aubriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
Juliana/Giuliana
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Viviana[/name_f]
[name_f]Luciana[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you! Both very good points! We have been leaning towards [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] but I just can’t make a final decision for some reason. I keep overthinking everything. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and my mom both like [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] better but I’m with you, [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] feels too much and I can definitely see it being close to “orally” and being a problem. I really wanted to give her my middle name (Leigh) but I’m also content with [name_f]Faye[/name_f] as it’s my late grandmother’s name.

1 Like

Thank you! I thought about the initial part as well. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband as a J initial so I guess in the big picture, I’d be the one left out if anything. Also, good point on [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] being too much for the names. Before we narrowed down to a list of names we like, I was set on wanting to give her my middle name (Leigh) but it doesn’t feel right with these names even though that’s the combo my husband prefers. I am content with [name_f]Faye[/name_f] as well though because it’s my late grandmother’s name. I’m not sure why I’m having such a hard time with this! The boys were much easier.

1 Like

Thank you! I think that what has me most intrigued by [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], how rare but also beautiful it is. We are in the US and I didn’t realize [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] was that high on the list! I never checked because I just don’t know anyone with that name so I assumed (that’s what I get for assuming, haha).

I also love some of the names you mentioned as well and will run a few by my husband to get his thoughts. He’s pretty set on [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] and even talks to my stomach using the name, but for some reason I just can’t bring myself to making a final decision. It’s possibly because this is intended to be our last child? Who knows, but the struggle is real.

1 Like

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f] is so sweet! I want to get into [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] but I like Ariana/Arianne and [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] more myself, even [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]. I adore [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], but she is getting pretty popular… she’s getting close to the top 50 nationally, but if that doesn’t bother you, I think it’s a lovely name! I’m not a huge [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] fan myself, but would love having a little [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Annie[/name_f] or even [name_f]Lia[/name_f]. :heart:

1 Like

I love sweet, pretty Eliana!! [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] sounds sort of rough to me. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is #53 in the US, but I disagree with the previous poster who said that that’s really popular. (You don’t have to read the next part if stats bore you, lol.) Because I enjoy stats, I added up the number of girls with a variety of [name_f]Ell[/name_f]- names born in the US in 2020 (various spellings of [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_f]Elina[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], and Elaine). The total comes to 43,344, or about 2.5% of baby girls born in 2020. 5 for every 200. It’s very possible that [name_f]Ell[/name_f]- names are more popular in your region, though. Take this as you wish. If you feel like you’re overwhelmed by, say, baby Charlottes, who accounted for only .7% of baby girls in the US last year, perhaps [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] might end up too popular for you after all.

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] for you!!!

1 Like

As others have said, [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is actually quite popular in the US (it’s my youngest sister’s name but she was born in 2007), and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is even more so. If popularity bothers you, [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] would be your best bet. I also like that it would add a different initial to your set.

2 Likes

Agree entirely. [name_u]Will[/name_u] add beautiful meaning of [name_f]Oriana[/name_f].

1 Like

I love [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] nn [name_u]Ori[/name_u]!

1 Like

If you are leaning to [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] I say got with it. I agree that using [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] as a middle name would be a bit “orally” reminiscent.

Auriana could be a good alternative, Au stands for gold on the periodic table so still can have the same meaning? stretch? lol

2 Likes

Thank you!!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband is very anti [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] because of a certain celebrity. He says he doesn’t want any association with that being why we chose - which isn’t the reason I suggested that name at all. She’s really a generation behind myself and my husband. But he won’t budge on that name being a no.

I feel like my boys would struggle to say [name_f]Lilliana[/name_f] but that is a really pretty name. And I like [name_f]Lia[/name_f] a lot for a nickname for [name_f]Eliana[/name_f].

1 Like

I enjoy stats so your response is appreciated! I do agree it probably depends on the region we are in. But my husband is actually in the military so we move pretty consistently, so picking based on our current region won’t really help in our situation.

And it’s funny you mention the small % of Charlottes. But I personally know 4 people with kids named [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] so I guess it really does show popularity is hard to measure from person to person.

That’s interesting you say [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] is rough to you, rough isn’t a word that has come to mind. I’m genuinely curious what about it feels rough? I love getting all these opinions and feedback, it’s so fascinating hearing other points of view.

1 Like

Thank you! If it’s up to my husband, that’s her name. I don’t know why I’m struggling so hard to decide one way or the other. What are your thoughts on middle name?

Popularity doesn’t totally bother me but I don’t want it to be an insanely common name for her age either, if that makes sense. We actually just ran into an issue where our son [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] had another [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] in his class - the school and teacher had them mixed up the first two months of school. Documenting bad behavior of the other child on my son’s records and all. I know that doesn’t happen often but it scarred me a little, haha.

1 Like

Thank you for your input!

Thank you!! I don’t know how I feel about [name_u]Ori[/name_u] as a nickname. It’s possible it’s only because I know a guy named Orri though. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_u]Ori[/name_u] better than Ri?

1 Like