Eliana vs Oriana

I think I’ve realized one of my struggles deciding on [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] is that I deep down really wanted to give her my middle name (Leigh) and the two don’t feel right together.

Auriana is kind of genius! Haha. But it is too close to [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], which my husband refuses. :crazy_face:

[name_f]Oriana[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f] would be my pick!!

1 Like

I know an Oriana who goes by Ori and I always thought it was great! I like both Ori and Ri. Also I like Ana haha so many options. Ria even!

Edit: on second thought maybe Ria sounds like diarrhea :laughing:

Rio would work

1 Like

Fair enough… she’s one of the reasons why I prefer [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] myself, but I love the nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u] and Ariana/Arianne’s meaning.

I guess [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] isn’t for everyone but [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] or just [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is also nice if you like the [name_f]Lily[/name_f] family!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you liked [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lia[/name_f] though! :heart:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s very interesting how popularity doesn’t seem to follow stats a lot of the time!
Concerning [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], I debated which word to use, and rough didn’t seem like a great descriptor, but it seemed like the best that came to mind. Part of it’s the strong “or” sound which I’ve never liked, but there’s really no good reason. It just doesn’t sound as warm as some other names to me, but it doesn’t sound mean either! Please don’t worry about my arbitrary impression though! There’s nothing wrong with [name_f]Oriana[/name_f]! It’s nicely uncommon, but people will still know how to spell it, it’ll age well, and it’s very feminine!

1 Like

Thanks! I just asked my 2 year old and he chose [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f] too :upside_down_face: my husband still prefers [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] but I agree with most of the comments on this thread that [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] doesn’t flow as well. I think selfishly I want [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] because it’s my middle name but if it doesn’t sound right then it doesn’t sound right. [name_f]Faye[/name_f] is my late grandmother’s name so I’m not totally unhappy either way.

1 Like

I don’t think [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] sounds bad - i just prefer [name_f]Faye[/name_f] as a name! If [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] is the one calling to you, I’d go with that!!

1 Like

Yay! Someone who knows an [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], haha. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s older sister took violin with an [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] and my husband always liked the name. When he suggested it, I had genuinely never heard it before! But after some research, it is an old name just not commonly used, which is refreshing! And that’s good to know she uses [name_u]Ori[/name_u] - that may be something that fits her personality I guess time will tell. [name_u]Rio[/name_u] makes me think of [name_u]Oreo[/name_u], haha. And now that you’ve said [name_f]Ria[/name_f] and diarrhea I can’t get that out of my head either! But [name_u]Ori[/name_u] and Ri would work! She may never use a nickname but I grew up with a very simple name (Amy) and it left no room for any nicknames stemming from my actual name so I have always considered nickname possibilities when choosing a name, as silly as that may sound.

1 Like

I personally love the name [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] as well as the meaning. So I totally agree with you on all of that. And [name_f]Lilliana[/name_f] is pretty I’m just not sure it’s for us. Thanks for your input! This has all been really helpful to get through my thought process on this name deicison. :two_hearts:

1 Like

That all makes total sense! And no opinion is going to sway me to decide one way or the other, I just appreciate hearing other’s thoughts to help me look at something in a way I may not have considered before.

I think the strong “or” might be what’s throwing me on the name too, so I totally get where you’re coming from. Possibly because I just don’t hear it often in the beginning of a name. I can’t put my finger on it. I do really like it, I’m just not sure yet if I love it. I am an over thinker though so I find myself going through really unnecessary scenarios and thoughts.

1 Like

Thanks! [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] is just something I always thought I’d give her but that’s before we went through to pick a first name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] me overthinking all of it now that I think we may have a first name decided :joy:

I think it’s good idea to consider possible nicknames when thinking about a name. [name_u]Happy[/name_u] naming! :blush:

1 Like

It may be high on the list, but it is also dependent on where you live. Some areas may have a large population of Eliana’s, but other areas may not have any. IMHO you can’t look at the country’s statistics as much as you should be looking at your area’s statistics. For example, there were 4425 Eliana’s born in 2021 across the country, but many when you look at the spread of the babies born throughout the country it will be significantly less most of the country.

I’m not sure where you are specifically in the US (and I don’t want to know for privacy reasons), but I wouldn’t count on the popularity charts to steer you toward or away from a name. Both [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] are great names and would be amazing choices.