Elias or Jude

We’re expecting number 9, gender unknown. Middle name will be [name_m]Timothy[/name_m]. Our older kids are P@ul, Cl@re, M@rk, K@th@rine (we use her full name plus nn [name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f] at school), J@mes (full name plus nn [name_u]Jay[/name_u]), Andr3w, G@briel (full name plus nn [name_m]Gabe[/name_m]) and [name_m]Thom[/name_m]@s (full name plus nn [name_m]Tommy[/name_m], [name_m]Tom[/name_m], T). It’s been fun and wonderfully convenient for them to each have their own initial, but it’s not a deal breaker. ([name_f]Every[/name_f] name on my girl’s list is a repeat so we’re ready to let it go)

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] seem to be the 2 my husband and I both like the most if he’s a boy. I lean slightly towards [name_u]Jude[/name_u] because my other boys all have [name_u]New[/name_u] Testament names and I would like a 1 syllable name. I also like that [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is an author of a [name_u]New[/name_u] Testament book like [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m], and [name_u]James[/name_u] are.

[name_u]Elias[/name_u] is my dad’s middle name and a family name on that side of the family. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad is over 80 now and he’s been a very involved dad and grandfather its bit sad to consider that this baby might not get to know him as well as the others have. I could see using his middle name as something I’ll appreciate as the years go by. We would likely call him [name_m]Eli[/name_m] nearly all of the time as [name_u]Elias[/name_u] isn’t really my or my husband’s style. I did use my dad’s first name for one of our older boy’s middle names, but it coincidently is my dh and fil’s middle name so the honor is a bit diluted. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is a bit concerned that there are many boys with the name [name_m]Eli[/name_m] in our area. But there are also many named [name_u]James[/name_u].

I can’t figure out how to post a poll on the new forum.

1 Like

I think in general I prefer the name [name_u]Jude[/name_u], and I also like the connection to some of your other children. That being said, I like [name_u]Elias[/name_u] better with the mn [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], and I do really like [name_m]Eli[/name_m]. At least with the nn [name_m]Eli[/name_m] you would still be using a Biblical name like you wanted! It’s a bit tricky to give a final consensus, since one is a family name. I think both are sweet!

Congrats on #9!

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Elias[/name_u] anyway, but it also flows better with [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], imho. You really can’t go wrong either way, though. :slight_smile:

(Btw, to post a poll, use the options gear–the very last icon–in the bar above the text box in your post and select ‘build poll’.)

1 Like

I like [name_u]Elias[/name_u] :slight_smile:

Congratulations.

I love [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m]. It flows much better than [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], imo. It will also give him the connection to his grandpa he may not get to know as well as his siblings.

As a name on its own, I love [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. But [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] isn’t doing it for me. [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] sounds much better imo. [name_m]Eli[/name_m] is a lovely nn and I think the family connection is important in making [name_u]Elias[/name_u] even nicer.

Wow, congratulations on #9!

I really love both of your options, but it does sound to me like you both like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] quite a bit better than [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. Both sound great with the sibling names and flow nicely with the middle name, but [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] is the one jumping out at me from your post.

I understand that you want to honour your father, but having already used his first name for another son feels like a pretty solid honour to me, even if that name is coincidentally shared with other relatives.

Or… how would you feel about doing a double middle this time? [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] would be super handsome!

FYI: to add a poll, click the gear icon in the text editor and then select “Build [name_u]Poll[/name_u]” in the dropdown menu that pops up. @elanorelle already nailed it, but I thought a picture might be helpful, so here you go! :point_down:

Very best of luck! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

When I clicked on that icon, instead of seeing all those options all I saw was hide detail and blur spoiler. Not sure if I was doing it from the wrong screen. [name_f]Do[/name_f] I have to post my thread first?

EDA: I wonder if it’s because with the new forums I got a new user name and since this was my first post I bet I couldn’t post a poll yet. Ironic because I’ve been posting on nameberry for over 10 years.

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] doesn’t seem to be getting a lot of love. Maybe a different middle name is in order. [name_f]My[/name_f] previous [name_u]Jude[/name_u] combo had been [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]. I think [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] might be worth considering. I had wanted to honor my mom’s dad by using [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] and I happen to like the name a lot too.

I really like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u]!

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] would be great.
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] would be incredibly handsome.

I prefer [name_u]Elias[/name_u], but it sounds like you guys are leaning towards [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. I definitely prefer [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] to [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], fwiw. [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] is so handsome.

Both are lovely, but based on what you’ve said I think you much prefer [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and that’s pretty important. I would love [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] if that was an option.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m seriously considering [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] right now. So hard to know. [name_f]My[/name_f] older kids don’t seem too impressed by either [name_u]Elias[/name_u] or [name_u]Jude[/name_u] :wink:

1 Like

Congratulations on your ninth!!! I love your kids names!!

I prefer [name_u]Elias[/name_u], though both are wonderful.

I really love that! Are there any names that your older kids are pushing for?

So my husband’s preference is [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and 2 of my boys are very enthusiastic about that one. I really love [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and my girls and one of my boys seem inclined to agree. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest doesn’t care much. He likes [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] or anything with a [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings reference.

Since we both like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] we’ve set [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] aside for the time being. Once we find out gender I may be less willing to forgo [name_m]Henry[/name_m] :laughing:

1 Like