Elijah for a girl?

So, [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] has always sounded more like a girls name to me, I mean it’s basically [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] with a j. I recently met a little girl named [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and I thought it was super cool. What do you think?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I loved this on a girl and asked a bunch of ppl and most did not like it. I honestly think it’s really cute for a girl. I wish it wasn’t so popular for boys though

4 Likes

I’ve met so many male Elijahs it’s only a boy name for me. Maybe [name_u]Elisha[/name_u]? It’s a biblical boy name very similar to [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and sounds similar to [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. But that’s just my 2 cents. If you like it why not! :blush:

2 Likes

I can’t picture it. Honestly, I’m not really a fan of the name on a boy. It feels weird on a girl.

1 Like

I don’t really like it on a girl, though I love it for a boy.

I would prefer [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or [name_f]Elisa[/name_f].

1 Like

how about [name_f]Alaia[/name_f]? Basically [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] without the j/zh sound?

1 Like

I’d like a girl named [name_u]Alijah[/name_u], but not as much [name_m]Elijah[/name_m].

I am not a fan at all. It’s ALL boy to me. [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] was a prophet (male - because prophets were only men) in the Bible, as was [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] (pronounced eh-lie-shuh). So, I’m not at all a fan of either for girls.

1 Like

Not a fan of [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] or [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] for a girl. Sorry! If you’re looking for something biblical that could also be unisex I’d go for [name_u]Noah[/name_u]/ [name_u]Noa[/name_u], [name_u]Azariah[/name_u], or [name_u]Micah[/name_u].

Elijah is in bible and is a name of a male. Thinking about the roots of this name it sounds very weird on a girl!

2 Likes

I love this, but with the [name_u]Alijah[/name_u] spelling. To me it looks more feminine.

Elijah, no. [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] or [name_m]Eliyah[/name_m], it might be a bit weird to some people but it could work. Assuming you’re in the US, giving a child a name that’s in the top 10 for the opposite gender is never a good idea, especially one with so much religious significance.

1 Like

It does sound pretty, but I prefer not to gender swap names. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my preference. I’d stick to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] for a little girl.

1 Like

I’m not a fan but I don’t really like BNOGs anyway. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is much nicer!

Elijah is one of the few boy names that sounds unisex to me but I can also often get past previous associations of a name and go by sound. Eg I like [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], an [name_m]Elven[/name_m] princess in LoR, on a boy. Many other people can’t seem to get pass their previous associations like this so you will unfortunately probably get a lot of disapproval. [name_u]Alijah[/name_u] is new to me but nb says it’s a unisex variation of [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]

I love [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] for a girl. I like names that bend the rules though. If I could have convinced my husband we would’ve done [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] for a girl. I just saw [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] for a girl as well which I thought was awesome.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] on a girl is necessary when [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] sounds so similar.

2 Likes

Sometimes even a small difference in sound can turn someone off. Like if the j/z was a sh sound, it will be immediatley dumped in my discard pile despite that I love the sound of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. Idk about the OP but if the OP doesn’t like z sounds like how I don’t like the sh sound, it can be a big difference despite a really small change.

Elijah is all male.

1 Like

Not a fan, sorry. I doubt that most women would want to be named [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]. I think it would be one of those names that seems trendy at the time, but then the daughter grows up hating it.

1 Like