Elisha?

Is the name [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] pronounced ‘ee-lie-sha’ or ‘ee-lee-sha’? And do you like this name for a boy?

For a boy the pronunciation is ee-lie-sha. I think I actually prefer it over [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] which seems to be more common.
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] is a great name with Biblical history, unfortunately I have heard girls with this name and that makes me dislike it.

ee-lie-sha. And it is a fantastic boy’s name! [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] is one of my all time favourite Biblical boy names! I know some people are using it for girls and pronoucing it ee-lee-sha (why not use [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]/[name_f]Alysha[/name_f]/[name_f]Alisha[/name_f]), and that drives me crazy. [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] is a handsome, strong BOYS name, and has such a remarkable Bible story.

It’s a nice name but I would definitely think it was a girl

One female B-level celebrity shouldn’t eliminate thousands of years of history for this MALE Biblical name especially one who doesn’t pronounce the name correctly. The name is “ee-LIE-shah” and it’s one of my favourite “[name_m]Eli[/name_m]” names. If [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_u]Asa[/name_u] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] are acceptable for males then why isn’t [name_u]Elisha[/name_u]? I don’t get the the double standard that it’s fine for girls to have traditional boys names but God forbid that a boy have the same name as a girl because he’ll have cooties and be scarred for life. I’m quite surprised that I hear that same lame argument even here on Nameberry. This website has a reputation for having intelligent, well-informed, thoughtful and progressive discussions regarding baby naming as well as other subjects. I’m disappointed that some Berries are encouraging the double standard.

@oliviat - if you love [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] for a boy, then I would strongly encourage you to choose it. It’s a wonderful name of depth and history.