Eliza (and Elizabeth as well)

I always thought [name]Eliza[/name] was said with a definite long E as in [name]Eve[/name]. But, from 'berries regarding [name]Aliza[/name] as the same name, it seems most people turn the E into a schwa. Now that I think about it, I also say [name]Elizabeth[/name] with the long E, and that one I’m familiar with people saying a schwa. And I’ve always regarded that as an underenunciated form.

I’m just hoping for confirmation that long E is valid for both these names, and the schwa is simply a consequence of not stressing the first syllable.

Yes! There are many different pronunciations for [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name], and all are totally valid. I think it is just a matter of accent, for the most part. In fact, I think I sometimes switch between two of them. Here are some I’ve heard…

1. uh-LIE-zuh
  2. elle-I-zuh
  3. EE-lie-zuh
  4. ih-LIE-zuh

I think I predominately use the first two, or more like a blended version of those two, when saying [name]Eliza[/name] (or [name]Elizabeth[/name]). Actually, maybe #4 is a bit like what I say, but the “ih” is a mix of “ih” and “eh.”

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name]…you are so helpful! [name]Do[/name] you have kids yet? If so, what are their names?

I say pronouce it like #2…but I have heard all the variations…I always listen to how the mother says it and that is how I try to. My friend just named her baby [name]Arianna[/name]…some people say [name]AIR[/name]-E-[name]ANNA[/name] and some say ARE-E-[name]ANNA[/name]. It is driving her crazy.

I’m an [name]Eliza[/name] and I say it with a strong E and correct people, I personally don’t like variations with my name!! hahah LOL

EE-lie-zuh is how I pn it.

Ha! No, I don’t have kids yet. I’m actually in college, and I’m 19, and it just isn’t a good time for me to have children…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: