Ella vs Brooklyn

Hubby and I have finally narrowed it down to two girls names…[name]Ella[/name] [name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Brooklyn[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]. What do you like better? Please do not be too harsh if you do not like one of these names as we will be using one of them. Thank you!

They are both pretty, but I prefer [name]Brooklyn[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]. I know that you’re going to get reactions from people who don’t like city names, but I think [name]Brooklyn[/name] is one of the prettier city names. [name]Ella[/name] is becoming very popular, and I would never want to give a child a top 20 name - I feel so bad for some of my younger relations who are one of six kids with their name in their classes (even in my own classrooms they go in waves - five women named [name]Caitlin[/name] or [name]Kaitlyn[/name], and a [name]Katie[/name], all born within three or four years of each other). I also prefer [name]Michelle[/name] to [name]Mackenzie[/name], but that’s just my opinion. If you are concerned with avoiding overly common names, go with [name]Brooklyn[/name] [name]Michelle[/name].

I prefer [name]Ella[/name] [name]Mackenzie[/name]!

[name]Brooklyn[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]

I prefer [name]Ella[/name]. It is very popular, but I also find it very beautiful and timeless. Plus I don’t care how many times I hear a girl called [name]Ellie[/name], it’ll always be adorable.

[name]Ella[/name] all the way!

I prefer [name]Ella[/name]! It’s pretty popular, but still- everytime I see it I gush. Good luck!

Quickly, I much prefer [name]Ella[/name].

Longer version:
I’ll have to contradict [name]Selena[/name] here- [name]Ella[/name] is ranked #12 and [name]Brooklyn[/name] is ranked #21. Not really a huge difference, especially considering both are rising and both have many popular sound-alike names (For [name]Ella[/name], there’s [name]Bella[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], and [name]Emma[/name] and for [name]Brooklyn[/name] there’s [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Kaitlyn[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], and the other -lyn names.) [name]Both[/name] names are very common and your daughter will likely have many peers with both names.

The difference between the two is trendiness: [name]Brooklyn[/name] is really a modern invention, first in the top 1000 in 1990 and skyrocketing in popularity since, and [name]Ella[/name] has been used for a long time. This makes [name]Brooklyn[/name] far more likely to sound dated; I see [name]Brooklyn[/name] as the future [name]Amber[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name]. It skyrocketed up, it’ll plunge quickly down as well. [name]Ella[/name], on the other hand, has a long history of use (think [name]Ella[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Baker[/name]) and won’t sound quite as 2000’s as [name]Brooklyn[/name]. To compare it to names popular 100 years ago, [name]Ella[/name] is like [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Brooklyn[/name] is like [name]Mildred[/name]: one is destined to sound dated and old in the future (ever meet a baby [name]Mildred[/name]?), the other will probably go out of fashion for a while and then come back in again, as [name]Rose[/name] has.

I’ve always liked [name]Ella[/name]!

As a FN I like [name]Ella[/name] better, but combined with your MNs I like [name]Brooklyn[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]. To me, [name]Ella[/name] [name]McKenzie[/name] is a clash of name images (calm/classic/kind vs. trendy/spitfire/cutsie). [name]Brooklyn[/name] [name]Michelle[/name] is much more consistent.

[name]Ella[/name] [name]Mckenzie[/name] is adorable!!! I love the name [name]Ella[/name] is super elegant, beutyful,classy, cute,and timeless!!! Go for it!!! Good choice!!! Congratulations!!! Let us know wat you decide!!!.

Between [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Brooklyn[/name], I prefer [name]Ella[/name]. It’s much more timeless.

[name]Ella[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Ella[/name]! I am usually not a unisex fan, and I love [name]Mackenzie[/name] for a boy, but I surprisingly really like [name]Ella[/name] [name]Mackenzie[/name].

Good luck!

I prefer [name]Ella[/name] mostly because I am from [name]Brooklyn[/name] so I don’t see the appeal of [name]Brooklyn[/name] as a girl name! [name]Brook[/name] is pretty. [name]Ella[/name] [name]Brook[/name] is gorgeous.

[name]Ella[/name]! [name]Brooklyn[/name] feels so tired to me by comparison. And it’s not a huge thing, but the initials E.M. are far preferable to B.M.

I definitely prefer the name [name]Ella[/name] over [name]Brooklyn[/name], but I don’t really like [name]Mackenzie[/name] as a middle name for [name]Ella[/name]. I feel like [name]Ella[/name] needs a mn that is classic and timeless…[name]Mackenzie[/name] is a little too trendy in my opinion. But if you love it, go for it! [name]Ella[/name] is a gorgeous name!