Elle as a full name

The poll about favorite “[name_f]Elle[/name_f]” names has me wondering how many feel [name_f]Elle[/name_f] could be used as a full name.

Meh. I like [name_f]Ella[/name_f] (and [name_f]Bella[/name_f], and [name_f]Belle[/name_f]) more than just [name_f]Elle[/name_f], but [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is sweet and rather unexpected. It’s a nice balance between sweet, adorable little girl and fashionable and super-modely (probably thanks to [name_f]Elle[/name_f] magazine). It’s chic. I probably wouldn’t use it alone, but I’ve seen some combos I REALLY love with just [name_f]Elle[/name_f] ([name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]). I love so many more elaborate names that I feel like either [name_f]Elle[/name_f] would be shortchanged, or I would miss out using some of my favorite [name_f]Elle[/name_f] names. Like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. And [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. and [name_f]Eliora[/name_f]. And [name_f]Arielle[/name_f]/[name_f]Ariella[/name_f] and [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] and… well, you see. :slight_smile:

[name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f]. My favorite combo is [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]. Nickname could be [name_f]Elfie[/name_f], too. I like [name_f]Elle[/name_f] on its own. It feels so…free. Like they aren’t bound to any specific personality or image.

I’d use it as a nickname. I tend to see one-syllable names as more middle-name material. [name_f]Elle[/name_f] has a lovely sound, though, and would be great in either spot.

I think [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is understated and gorgeous as a standalone first name.

I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] but I’m in the same dilemma. I think I’m going to use it with a more sophisticated name and just use [name_f]Elle[/name_f] as a nn. My options so far are;

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

[name_f]Love[/name_f] it so much! Super feminine, but not frilly, underused, easy to spell…lovely!

I actually really like it. It’s short and sweet and a palindrome, which makes it fun. [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is the one who needs only a simple white frock to be the most beautiful girl at the ball. All the Isabellas and Arabellas and Elianas may strut around with diamonds and colored shadow and glittery ball-gowns, but [name_f]Elle[/name_f] walks through the door and they look like gilded butterflies hovering around a single, radiant jasmine flower.

Also makes me think of “[name_f]El[/name_f]” (short for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]) on White Collar. She is a great character, pretty much my role model for womanhood.

I don’t really like the fact that [name_m]French[/name_m] people will just hear the pronoun “she.” (Doesn’t [name_m]Guy[/name_m] feel a little silly to our ears? [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is the same for them.) [name_f]Nor[/name_f] do I like the lack of clear meaning. If I realllly loved it, though, I’d ignore those things and tell my little [name_f]Elle[/name_f] that she can pick from all the meanings in all the other -elle names; whatever suits her best.

I agree it’s wonderful with more elaborate middle names. [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Noemie[/name_f]… endless possibilities! Maybe best to avoid word names though, or it sounds kind of like the start of a Spanish phrase.

1 Like

I love it. Sleek, and elegant, and beautiful. I love [name_f]Elle[/name_f] both as a stand alone name or as a nickname.

I think its lovely as a full name. Would you pronounce it as L or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]?

I pronounce it L.

Thank you, everyone. It is such a short, simple name but I feel packed with power. I have never met an [name_f]Elle[/name_f] but feel the name would fit in almost anywhere.

shujayra, meaning of names is rather important to me and all I saw was that it meant “she”, yes, not a big fan. I can always make sure the middle has a wonderful meaning and/or honoring. Off hand without researching I really like [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and that would take care of honoring and having a nice meaning.

[name_f]Elle[/name_f] is short, sweet and to the point. Totally is a standalone name.

Thank you, flamingo.

My daughter’s name is [name_f]Elle[/name_f] and I love it. It is simple but feminine and sophisticated at the same time. We get a ton of compliments on it. We’ve had a few people ask if it is short for something, but other than that, it’s been received positively. Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.