Elle. Does it fall short? And my short list.

Dear Nameberries, What are your thoughts?

DH and I are due in 4 weeks. We had a name picked. Then, last night, DH suggested [name]Elle[/name]. We both paused and thought it might be a good option. I’m a fan of “E” names.

But, I have some concerns about [name]Elle[/name]. First, is [name]Elle[/name] just too short and more of a nickname than a real name? The name means “she” in French, which to me is not at all substantive. I am torn though, because I do think it sounds good with [name]Marguerite[/name]. Then again, in the real world, no one aside from family ever really knows or uses a person’s middle name. Also my first name begins with “L” and I wouldn’t want people thinking I named my kid after my first initial. The plus sides to [name]Elle[/name] - I think its short, elegant, classy and will grow up better than [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Isabelle[/name]. Also, it is much less trendy and around 400 or so in popularity.

What do you think of our choices?
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] (popularity bothers me as well as confusion with pronunciation of [name]Ava[/name])
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] (but this one sounds soft to me, very quiet name, also nn [name]Emi[/name] I don’t like)
[name]Milla[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] (DH doesn’t like using [name]Elle[/name] as NN for [name]Adele[/name])

Anything I missed? I’m having a hard time being objective. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and consideration.
From,
Sleepless Nameberry

I do think [name]Elle[/name] falls short. [name]Scarlett[/name] is so beautiful, and I think you should stick with that. The only other name I like from your list is [name]Eva[/name]. I have yet to meet an [name]Eva[/name] (baby or adult), so I don’t know if you should be worried about popularity.

[name]Elle[/name] is cute but definitely lacks substance for me. And I don’t know where you live, but in my area there are TONS of [name]Elle[/name]'s,[name]Ellie[/name]'s and [name]Ella[/name]'s…not to mention the abudance of sister names [name]Belle[/name] and [name]Bella[/name]. I am literally tripping over them in the under 3 crowd. They are very common nicknames, so they are much more popular than they look on a name chart. I would still lump “[name]Elle[/name]” in that popular/trendy group, but that is just me. I only mention that because popularity seems to be a concern of yours.
[name]Scarlett[/name] gets my vote for many reasons. It is feminine, strong, recognizable, but not weird at all. It is beautiful and elegant, but cute at the same time. It ages well, too. That would be a great choice – [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] is stunning!

Hello and congratulations on your upcoming daughter!

Personally, I also think “[name]Elle[/name]” lacks something to be a full, first name. And I agree that with the multitude of [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Ella[/name]'s around, she will likely end up in a class where it might be [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Bella[/name] etc.

I think [name]Scarlet[/name] is a beautiful name.
The others on your list that I really like are [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Adele[/name]. I think [name]Adele[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] is probably my favourite out of all of them. It’s soft, beautiful, classic and even if DH isn’t into using “[name]Elle[/name]” as a nickname right now, he might change his mind later. The only issue I see with [name]Adele[/name] is if she becomes “[name]Addie[/name]” she will need to compete with all the little [name]Addison[/name]'s and [name]Adelaide[/name]'s running around.

Good luck, all your name choices are lovely!

I accually really like [name]Elle[/name]! I think it’s adorable and I agree that I grows really well. I admit to hearing some Ellas and Bellas where I live, but [name]Elle[/name] has it’s own uniqueness that you don’t hear too much of. [name]Scarlett[/name]'s pretty, but it’s not my favorite since I’ve heard of it so much on Nameberry. However fellow Berries have more of a sofisticated taste, so you would be safe to the terms popularity. I also really like [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Eva[/name], but you have a great list and can’t go wrong.
So, to help you get somewhere in deciding on a name, I think you should go with [name]Scarlett[/name]. You’ve already grown attached, and just remember how pumped you were with the name! [name]Elle[/name] can always be used as a sibling name! :smiley:
Good luck!