Ellen vs Elinor

Hello!

We are now between [name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Elinor[/name] for [name]Mary[/name]'s middle name: [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Rose[/name] vs [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. Which do you prefer and why?

The boys will be [name]Edward[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] [name]William[/name]. Our older children are [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] (14), [name]Peter[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] (7), [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] (5) and [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (2). Surname is [name]Rose[/name].

Thanks, [name]Elinor[/name] x

I think I prefer [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name]. I don’t like how the “-or” in [name]Elinor[/name] blends in with the “R-” in [name]Rose[/name]. I think [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] has good flow and is very cute!

As I posted previously I love [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] but you have hit the jackpot with surname [name]Rose[/name]. What a great name [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]! I also believe her full first name could be [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] I love that combo.

best wishes

rollo

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]! Such a lovely name! There’s nothing really wrong with [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name], but it’s extremely dated, and I’d be really surprised to see one above the age of 50. I think it’s boring and indistinctive.

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Rose[/name] in honour of YOU for all of the dedication you have shown in finding her a beautiful name. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] just seems tired and outdated to me. Best of luck to you!

I tend to agree with @irisrose that [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] feels a little dated at this point - the only [name]Maryellen[/name] I know is pushing fifty - and, even if you don’t intend to use [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] as a double name, [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] not only has the added benefit of honoring you (who most certainly deserves it!), it also feels just that much fresher. I do agree with the poster who said that the flow of [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is slightly less than spectacular, but that doesn’t make it bad by any means - honoring you trumps less-than-ideal flow for me!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Elinor[/name] to [name]Ellen[/name], and I like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] better than [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name], but I don’t like the way the r’s blend with [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. So I’m ever so slightly going to say [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or [name]Mary[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Elinor[/name].

While I like [name]Mary[/name], and I’m not opposed to [name]Ellen[/name], together than make each other feel very dated as someone else said. I would go with [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name].

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]!

I don’t understand the dated comments my 6 year old g.d. is named [name]Ellen[/name] (mn) I think it has lots of pizzazz and freshness and is hands down a lot nicer than a lot of the other vintage names.

If you were considering [name]Mary[/name] [name]Lou[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] [name]May[/name] I could understand the dated comment and seeing as nameberries are keen on names not being popular then [name]Ellen[/name] must have an edge over [name]Elinor[/name].

As I said before I love the idea of honoring mother (and you deserve it) but I still prefer [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name].

[name]Just[/name] give her the name that you love the most.

rollo :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comments everyone - so hard to choose! Maybe I should let the kids decide?? I know [name]Elliot[/name] wants to use my name… I thought [name]Ellen[/name] was a good compromise as it sounds the same as the first 2 syllables of my name and was on our list for first name for a while. Other option I suppose would be to go for [name]Mary[/name] [name]Emma[/name] ([name]Emma[/name] being our other top girl name…). What do you think?

daisy451 - our surname is [name]Rose[/name] - so we can’t swap that around!
We aren’t going to use double name or a nickname: she will be called [name]Mary[/name] (None of our kids have nicknames - although when I’m calling all of them I do tend to just shout the first syllables!)

[name]Elinor[/name] x

Another vote for [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]!

I vote for [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]. Since you’re not going to use a double name, I don’t think the double “r” is a big deal at all.

If it was a first name, I prefer [name]Ellen[/name].

But I think [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Rose[/name] flows better and is “prettier”.

[name]Ellen[/name], [name]Ellen[/name], [name]Ellen[/name]!! Plus, [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] is GORGEOUS! :smiley:

([name]Elinor[/name] is nice as well.)

Oops! Probably should’ve read closer! In that case I’d vote for [name]Elinor[/name]. I do really like it better.