Ellie dilemma-please help?

I want to call my daughter [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. Out of the following ways to get there, which do you like best? (I know there are more ways to get to [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], but I’m only interested in these). thanks!

1. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] by itself-I’ve considered this, but it feels too informal at times
  2. Ella-nickname [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. Is that too much of a stretch?
  3. Elle-nickname [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. I worry [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is not substantial enough since it’s pronounced like the letter L.
  4. Eleanor-nickname [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] (I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but don’t love it)
  5. Eliana-nickname [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] (Eliana feels a bit too long/frilly at times)
2 Likes

All of these seem like good ways, but the easiest route might be [name_f]Ella[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] if you don’t love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]!

2 Likes

i know several ella’s who go by ellie. it’s totally not a stretch!

2 Likes

I’d just use [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. I’ve met a number of just Ellies

1 Like

I think [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] by itself is fine.
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] nn ellie is not to much of a stretch at all!

If you don’t love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] what about
[name_f]Elouise[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

1 Like

I knew an [name_f]Elle[/name_f] who went by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], so I think it’s doable. I prefer [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a nickname to [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but I think it also works well as a nickname to [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or as a stand alone name.

If you love it, just use [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]! I think it stands on its own and is well established as a name. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is one of my favs!

But if you want a full name and don’t like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], I like [name_f]Elle[/name_f]. I’ve had that same dilemma with it though, worrying that it isn’t a substantial enough of a name. But I still like it!

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is my favour all time [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] nickname name. So it has my vote

1 Like

I agree: [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is too imformal and short. The name Elliana-Roselyn would be amazing or Ella-Mae. [name_f]My[/name_f] baby: Einslee-Marie is also a good option if you like the E names.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is my favorite! I love that name, but if you don’t love it, then I’d go with [name_f]Ella[/name_f].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] - this is fine. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is in the top 100 (US) and was in the top 10 (UK) so even though it is a nickname it’s well established.

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] - this doesn’t make much sense to me because [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is already short and spunky and doesn’t really need a nickname. It feels sort of forced.

[name_f]Elle[/name_f] - [name_m]Woods[/name_m] and Fanning. It feels like a 90s baby. It is a [name_u]French[/name_u] word so I always found it a bit odd and also a magazine. For some reason this feels less forced than [name_f]Ella[/name_f], though.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - this is the best option because shortening a three syllable name makes more sense and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is pretty.

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] - also doesn’t really work for me because in Europe many people say it more like eh-lee-AH-na and not ell-lee-AH-na.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] works best.

But honestly there is no point in picking a name you don’t love. Use the one you love. So that seems to be [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Elle[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] work for more formal names for [name_f]Ellie[/name_f].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] follow your heart ! When you meet her she will tell you who she is!

• Nothing wrong with doing the nickname as the name thing, and going with just [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] by itself. Personally I feel like it needs a full form, but I also know several people who felt pressured to use a long form of a name, and hate that they caved. (Example my close friend with an [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] called [name_u]Abby[/name_u]. She regrets that she didn’t just use Abby.)

• [name_f]Ella[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] isn’t a stretch at all, if you like [name_f]Ella[/name_f] well enough to use it. I have a student that is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ella[/name_f], so I feel like [name_f]Ella[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is even closer than that. [name_f]My[/name_f] biggest issue here is the sheer popularity of [name_f]Ella[/name_f] right now. But then again it’s popular for a reason!

• I’m not a fan of [name_f]Elle[/name_f] at all. I feel it’s plain and gives off a weird vive. I also think that [name_f]Elle[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is confusing. Like if I saw her name on my student roster and heard people calling her [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], I would think you were pronouncing [name_f]Elle[/name_f] itself as [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] for some reason.

• [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is my choice, because I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and I think it shortens to [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] very obviously. But if you don’t love it, you need to sit with it awhile and see if you will regret it (see my Abigail/Abby friend example above)

• [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] works well, but also I am with you that it seems long and frilly. There is also something about the trend with this name that bugs me. I can’t put my finger on it, and I’ve known a lot of nice people/families that use this for their nice sweet little daughter, but my first thought is always “oh, they are the kind of people who name their kid Eliana”, and I don’t even know what my brain is meaning by that!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. :two_hearts: I named my daughter just [name_f]Annie[/name_f], and never looked back. She IS an [name_f]Annie[/name_f], and any of the long forms just wouldn’t have fit her. We love it.

1 Like

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is what i would choose.

I see no problem with ‘just’ [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], I know adults with this as the full name.

2 - [name_f]Ella[/name_f] nn is fine to me.
3 - I love [name_f]Elle[/name_f], very sleek.
4+5 - neither of those sound like names you love, so I think [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is better rather than a name you’re lukewarm on.

Other options (I know you said you weren’t interested in more…)

• [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] (sure you’ve considered this!)
  • [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (maybe a stretch)
  • Elizabeth/Eliza
  • [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Melody[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Danielle[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Mariel[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Elena[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]

:slight_smile:

I just like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] out of the options x

I prefer [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is ok.

[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is great as a stand alone name!

However, I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] would be a very versatile full name to fall back on, if she were to ever want a more formal name as an adult. And it lends itself to most your other name options. [name_u]An[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] could go by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a child, [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f] to her friends, and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] at work.

[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is nice on its own. Some of my favorite el names are:

[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellisse[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]