Ellie short for Amelia?

We’re expecting our second baby girl in [name]July[/name], who will be a sister to [name]Avery[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. We’re thinking of naming baby sister [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] but would like to call her [name]Ellie[/name]. Does [name]Ellie[/name] work as a nickname for [name]Amelia[/name]? Thanks!!

I would say yes. [name]Mellie[/name] seems like a logical nickname, so taking the M off isn’t that out there. [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] is a beautiful combination.

[name]Alexis[/name]

It’s not my favorite nickname for [name]Amelia[/name] (those would be [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Milly[/name]), but it works. [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] would be cute sisters!

In [name]William[/name] Makepeace Thackery’s 19th century novel Vanity Fair, he uses the nn [name]Emmy[/name] for his character [name]Amelia[/name].

I think [name]Ellie[/name] works and like pp said [name]Amy[/name] too!

[name]Aimee[/name]

Thank you for your thoughts! We adore [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] as sister names. [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] is cute too! We are also considering [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Alice[/name] for baby sister, but [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] is really growing on me. Thanks again everyone! :slight_smile: