Elliot, Aurie, Daniel and?

Need your advice with naming our next baby! Our last name is [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]

[name_m]Son[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] (We call him “[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]”)
Daughter, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] “[name_f]Aurie[/name_f]” [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_m]Son[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]

I love names that have rich meaning. I like girl names that have a lot of diminutive or creative nickname options. Not interested in calling my kiddo a name that means “deer in the clearing” or anything silly like that! I do not like names that can be used equally for boys and girls.

We’ll find out in 4 days if the newbie is a boy or a girl, but I have been deliberating for months now!

Our options include:
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
Husband likes Tyberius, but that’s a hard no from mom :wink:
-and-
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] (Is “[name_f]Addie[/name_f]” too popular? Too close to “[name_f]Aurie[/name_f]?” I’m trying to keep in mind that [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] might one day decide she likes [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], or [name_f]Meg[/name_f], or [name_f]Greta[/name_f] better.)
I also like [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]

What do you think could also fit our sib set?

6 Likes

Hi there.

Caleb [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] is nice for a boy, & fits in great w/your crew. Tyberius is pretty rough.

Here are a few more boy ideas that you may like:

Arthur

Abel/Abe

Asa

Clark

Casey

Edward/Teddy

Gabriel/Gabe/Gib

Leo

Levi

Malcolm

Matthew

Oscar

Otis

Peter

Quinn

Rafe

Theodore/Theo/Teddy

Thomas

William

Wyatt

Adelaide is lovely & really nice w/Elliot, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] & [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]. I think that [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is a little bit close to [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] though. And yes, [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is super popular. They’re mostly Adelyns & Addisons, but an [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] could get lost in the shuffle. I like [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. Especially w/the nn [name_f]Maisy[/name_f]. [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] is not my cup of tea, but fits in well & is nice enough. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is fine, but maybe a little over done & kind of rhymes w/Margaret.

A few more girls ideas:

Ada

Elizabeth-so many nick names!

Emilia

Katherine

Lucy

Matilda

Penelope

Tabitha

Vivian

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Wow! Thank you for your thoughtful response! I feel like I’ve found “my people” as my family is pretty sick of the name conversation in our house!

I love the boy names [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m] (husband didn’t love this one, but maybe if I subtly insert it in conversation, he will become desensitized!), [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (but it means “twin” and I feel more compelled to use it in the event that I have multiples), [name_m]William[/name_m] (but it is terribly overloved in our rather large extended family, and I can’t stand the nn "[name_u]Willie[/name_u]!).

I love the girl names [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (too close to [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]?), I have a dog named [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (but strangely, I know three baby Penelopes, so that’s out!), and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is really pretty too!

Could I use the nn “[name_f]Ada[/name_f]?” I’m obviously a little loose with nicknames ([name_f]Margaret[/name_f]->[name_f]Aurie[/name_f]). Maybe there are other options for little [name_f]Adalaide[/name_f] that go with [name_f]Aurie[/name_f]?)

You’ve given me a fresh look. Thank you!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ada[/name_f] totally works!

3 Likes

Margaret, [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] (Is [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] a double-barrel?), [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], &…

Rosa
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
Quinc(e)y
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]

We call him [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] or EJ. Good question!

Quinc(e)y… I’m not sure. I feel like this might be equally used for both boys and girls (I like more gender specific names) and it means estate of the fifth son. What an interesting name, but I don’t think it’s quite right.

I am not fond of the alliteration [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u], but you might have noticed that my sons have J middle names. [name_f]My[/name_f] first son has one syllable, second has two, and the third should probably follow the pattern. I love J- names, but prefer them as secondary names. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] is a solid recommendation!

Rosa and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] are okay. I like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] a little better, but don’t love either.

Thank you for helping/sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

Vivian. Means “Life” which is really significant because this baby will be the first after our stillborn baby.

Vivian [name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]…?
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]?

This is lovely!!

1 Like

I think names in the traditional and classic styles complement your sibling set best. From your list [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] fit especially well.

May I suggest [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_u]Simone[/name_u], [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] for girls. And for boys [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and [name_m]Reuben[/name_m].

1 Like

Congratulations!
I adore your kids names ! [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] make an adorable set!

I really like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and I don’t think it’s too close with Aurir , as someone suggestion you can go a different way with nicknames ; notably [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Lady[/name_f], [name_u]Del[/name_u], [name_u]Ade[/name_u], [name_f]Della[/name_f]. I don’t think you would have to go by [name_f]Addie[/name_f]

Rachel has been a long time love of mine and I am smitten with it. I think it pairs well with your kids names - as it’s another classic that never goes out of style

I know about 5 [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]’s and 10 “[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]’s” so for me they feel super popular. [name_f]My[/name_f] hesitation with [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is the spelling confusion. I have a name I am constantly correction spelling and pronunciation and while I love my name it does get annoying

For girl I would suggest
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]/ [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]- [name_u]Del[/name_u] , [name_u]Lane[/name_u], [name_u]Laney[/name_u], [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Theresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Annemarie[/name_f]/ [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]- [name_f]Ally[/name_f], [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], [name_f]Andi[/name_f], [name_f]Ria[/name_f], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

For boys I really enjoy [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] !
I think that if I were to offer additions they would be
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u] ( Mic / [name_m]Mac[/name_m])
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]

1 Like

Love [name_m]Robert[/name_m]… but how do you get him to never go by “bob” haha! (Same issue with [name_m]Fredrick[/name_m]) [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] smiles back on my O’[name_m]Neill[/name_m] roots. [name_f]My[/name_f] hesitation (after less than 24 hours of consideration!) on [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is that it ends “an” and my last name ends in “en” So, [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]… is that too parallel? [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is pretty! I’m thinking american girl dolls though. Am I missing any terrible connotations with that name? I’ve never met a [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]. Great suggestions, and thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts! I’d never thought of using [name_u]Del[/name_u] as a nn. It runs a little when the sib set is listed (following [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]). Maybe it’s okay.

You bring up a great point. Too many Scarletts and Maddies, and I suppose there are lots of names that can become a [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] ([name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Madilynn[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], etc). Marking those off!

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] sounds cool, but the Irish roots are “Dark defiance” which makes the name really unappealing! The english roots aren’t worthi bothering to mention. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I’d have to name her [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that’s too close to [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]? [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]? They both have the same root and the name lover in me pulls back from the similarity, but I love the suggestion! I have a girlfriend who’s named her kids [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Anabelle[/name_f]. Both pretty, but also somewhat bovine. (I’m sorry to be so picky!) [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] is [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u], so I’m giving some space between that baby and naming another [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], but that’s my name, and I feel it might be a little bold to name a baby after myself. If my hubby suggested it, okay, but he hasn’t and it’s not that important to me. He loves the name [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] for a boy… but it’s so popular and that’s not so appealing to me. [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] means blind. :frowning: (What name site do you love for it’s authority on name meanings? I have used https://www.behindthename.com, but so many sites tell disputing stories! One example is the re-defining of the name [name_u]Marie[/name_u] to mean star of the sea? What?! [name_f]Mara[/name_f] comes from a word that means bitter. Someone help! lol)

[name_u]Micah[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]. Haha! No Kendalls, Janets, Andrews, Jesses or (sadly) Samuels for me!

Caleb [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] is great and I like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] for you

1 Like

Regarding the nickname [name_m]Bob[/name_m], it seems to me less of a concern than it would’ve been a few generations ago. Nicknames don’t tend to be automatically used as they once were, and when they are used, they tend to be intuitive. For instance, ‘[name_m]Rob[/name_m]’ or ’ [name_u]Robbie[/name_u]’ in the case of [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. It’s still feasible for a [name_m]Robert[/name_m] to be known as ‘[name_m]Bob[/name_m]’ or ‘[name_u]Bobby[/name_u]’ or ‘[name_u]Bertie[/name_u]’ but probably only if the owner of the name agrees to the nickname or there are lots of members in the one family by the same name. If your son wants to be called [name_m]Bob[/name_m], there isn’t anything you can do. However, [name_m]Bob[/name_m] isn’t currently in style so it seems unlikely. If I use SSA data as an indicator, [name_m]Bob[/name_m] as a full given name was popular between the late 1920’s and 1960’s and then dropped to very low figures. These numbers should correlate with informal nickname usage as well. I don’t see this as a high risk to take.

Vivian has a different number of syllables to [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] to offset the repeated ending. There are no other similarities between the names so I don’t mind it at all. I think it’s one of those things that you notice during the name search because it’s a time when parents carefully consider and scrutinise the names on their lists from all angles. But once it’s the name of the child, it completely disappears as a non-issue.

I’m Australian so I’m not familiar with the doll. I don’t have any associations with the name [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] at all. A quick search online comes up with an old television show that ran four seasons between 1988 and 2002. I simply think it’s a lovely name with a positive meaning, and I’ve love to see it used more.

1 Like

As I imagined, because we were spending so much time talking about girl names, we have learned that the next baby is going to be a boy! I think we’re going to go with [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]. I was a little hesitant at first, as many websites suggest that the name “[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]” means one who loves dogs, and I don’t mind dogs, but it’s not a good enough reason to pick a name. I asked a hebrew scholar friend of mine about the etymology of the hebrew names “[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]” and “[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]” and this was his response:

The name “[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]” is a compound word. The word COL, which mean “whole, all, or full” combined with the word [name_m]Le[/name_m](v)b, which means “heart.”

Numb.14:24 “[name_f]My[/name_f] servant, [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], because he has a different spirit and has followed me with his whole heart.” This commendation by God is actually a play on Hebrew words. God is basically saying that “[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]” (which means “whole heart one”) lived out his name when he followed Me with his “whole heart” by believing by faith that I (God) would give the [name_f]Promise[/name_f] [name_u]Land[/name_u] to [name_u]Israel[/name_u].

“[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]” ([name_m]Kalev[/name_m]) means whole heart is sometimes confused with (Kelev) vowel change: means “dog.”

Josiah was a godly king of [name_m]Judah[/name_m], who transcended the faithfulness of [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_m]Hezekiah[/name_m]. [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] ascended to the throne at the age of 8, and at age 16, began “to seek after the God of [name_m]David[/name_m], his father.” After scrolls of the Pentateuch were discovered, He lead the nation by abolishing pagan worship, by beautifying the temple, and by renewing their ancient covenant with God.

Josiah means “Yahweh will Heal” or “Yahweh Supports.”

Josiah is a combination of the prefix for Yahweh (Ya or Yah). It’s the second part of the Hebrew Word that is tricky: Yassah—traditionally means despair. And the word carries a derivative from the word ‘shh, which is not used in the Bible, but it is commonly used to mean “support.” Thus, the name [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] could literally mean the “despair of Yahweh,” or in a different context mean “Yahweh supports,”
which is more fitting as [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]’s name describes his faithful reign.

•	BDB- Yahweh Supports 
•	Younger: Yahweh Heals 
•	NOBSE Study Bible Names: Whom Yahweh Heals
•	[name_m]Alfred[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m]-(who sees the word ‘esh: could mean a fire offering to the [name_m]Lord[/name_m].)
•	More than likely, the second part [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] is an imported word from another language (I would be only guessing if I took a stab at which one it is from), because the word “Rapha” means heal in Hebrew. 

Finally, I think the name [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] is a beautiful combination of a strong Hebrew name, which could accurately be translated as: The whole-hearted one ([name_m]Caleb[/name_m]) whom the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] Supports ([name_m]Josiah[/name_m]).
Thank you all for your input and looking forward to naming baby #5!

2 Likes

Caleb [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] is a really good fit with your other kiddos. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Aurie[/name_f]’s nickname. Very creative for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

I can agree with you that Tyberius is a lot. Maybe shorten it to [name_m]Tyrus[/name_m] or Terius.

Adelaide [name_f]Renee[/name_f] is a wonderful option. I would suggest [name_f]Della[/name_f] as a nickname or even [name_f]Lady[/name_f]. [name_u]Or[/name_u]…you can change it to [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f] and use [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] as nickname.

Other suggestions:

Cassandra ([name_f]Cassie[/name_f] or [name_f]Sandie[/name_f])
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ([name_f]Lottie[/name_f])
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] ([name_f]Nellie[/name_f])
[name_f]Eveline[/name_f] ([name_f]Evvie[/name_f] or Linney)
[name_f]Felicia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lizzie[/name_f])
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] ([name_u]Finn[/name_u] or Seffie)
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f] ([name_u]Lee[/name_u] or [name_f]Nea[/name_f])
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] ([name_f]Tilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Tilda[/name_f])
[name_f]Ottilia[/name_f] ([name_u]Ottie[/name_u] or Tills)
Rhonia ([name_u]Ronnie[/name_u])
[name_f]Smilla[/name_f] ([name_f]Millie[/name_f])
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] ([name_f]Viva[/name_f] or Ennie)
[name_f]Wilhelmine[/name_f] ([name_f]Minnie[/name_f])

1 Like

Congratulations!

If you end up changing your mind some people use [name_u]Liam[/name_u] as a shortening of [name_m]William[/name_m]!

1 Like

Caleb’s 6 months old and we’re talking about babies again! Help us complete our family with our last little girl or boy :slight_smile: No J first names please, and we would love to avoid names beginning with E, A, D and C because we use first initials as calendar identifiers. I find myself looking over all your wonderful suggestions from last time.

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_f]Aurie[/name_f], [name_u]Daniel[/name_u], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] and ?

I would like to step away from [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], just because of the similarities between myself (a 2 syllable -e name) and my daughter (the same).

If we follow the pattern of boy mn beginning with J and increasing in syllables, we’ll probably use “Jeremiah” because it’s the only 4 syllable J name that I can find! There’s a challenge if you can come up with another!

Thank youuuuu!!

People give me a hard time for pulling [name_f]Aurie[/name_f] out of Margaret… but there are seriously stranger nn than that! Plus, there are two "ar"s in [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] haha