Elliot for a girl?

WDYT of [name]Elliot[/name] as a girl’s name?

What middle name suggestions would go well with [name]Elliot[/name] to make it beautifully feminine?

We considered using [name]Elliot[/name] for our daughter (it is my husband’s middle name), but it wasn’t unisex enough for my husband…he said that on paper everyone would think she was a boy. I also didn’t like the fact that she would inevitably be called “[name]Ellie[/name]”, and although it is a cute nn, it is SUPER popular around here!

I don’t think of it as a girls’ name at all…it’s totally masculine to me. Maybe a bit on the softer side, but it doesn’t appeal to me at all as a girls’ name. I’d never question whether an [name]Elliot[/name] (on paper) was male or female. It’s one thing to use it in honor of a family member, but even then I’d say it’s best as a middle name for a girl.

I don’t think of it as a girl’s name at all. This is 100% boy to me and on a boy, I love it.

It is too masculine…

It is 100% boys name to me. I don’t think the possibilty of a feminine nickname makes a boys name unisex…

Totally a boy’s name. I would never consider an [name]Elliot[/name] was a girl until after I met her in person.

I like it for a girl! A friend of mine has a daughter named [name]Elliot[/name] and I think it’s sweet. Of course, I like it for a boy too, only as [name]Elliott[/name]. I don’t know which I like better actually.
A middle name is hard. For some reason names that start with a vowel keep popping in my head, and I don’t like the sound of them with [name]Elliot[/name]. Let’s think…

[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Faith[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Darcy[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Katharine[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Diana[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Natalie[/name]…

I am so bad at picking middle names! I’m kinda just going through my friends’ kids at this point. :slight_smile:

My sweet and beautiful niece is named Elliette. She was [name]Elliot[/name] for one day and when I came to the hospital I said did you guys ever think of Elliette??.. a feminine way to spell it? They LOVED it and immediately changed her name. Her name is Elliette [name]Jane[/name]. We do call her [name]Elly[/name]… [name]Elly[/name] [name]Jane[/name]… [name]Elly[/name]-gator. ha-ha. But she is so sweet and the name fits her perfectly. So happy I suggested this feminine alternative!

GOOD [name]LUCK[/name]! :o)

I’m sorry, I can’t get behind [name]Elliot[/name] for a girl. It’s just such a great boy’s name. I would save it for a boy or use something similar but more recognizably feminine, like [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] (or something with that spunky “t” ending, like [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name]). The way I see it is, if you need to respell a name or add a feminine middle to make it clearly female you might as well pick another name that will be less of a burden on your daughter.

To be brutally honest, I despise it on a girl. I understand the “[name]El[/name]” sound is appealing for girls, but that doesn’t make every “el” name feminine. And the last syllable is downright harsh sounding. There are so many beautiful and even tough sounding [name]El[/name] names- please consider one of those!

To be perfectly honest, just because it is a “softer” name does NOT make it a girl’s name. [name]Elliot[/name] is a boy’s name. And the same goes for [name]Luca[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name] (which are two of my pet peeves when people try and use them for girls) [name]Just[/name]…no.

It’s such a great boys name, I’d hate to see it go to the girls. I was worried that would happen when I saw Scrubs.

[name]Elliot[/name] is 100% boy to me. Spelling it kr8evlee to make it more “feminine” does not change the fact that your daughter’s name is [name]Elliot[/name]. Like a previous poster said, just because a name begins with [name]El[/name]- does not make it a new hip way to get the nickname [name]Ellie[/name]. I feel the same way about many other “unisex” names. [name]Just[/name] because a name ends in a vowel sound or -son does not make it a viable option for a girl. I hate to rant but this really frustrates me.

[name]Elliot[/name] is one of those names that parents should leave for the boys. If you like it, use it for a middle name. There are so many lovely girls names beginning with “[name]EL[/name]”: [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Elisha[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Eliora[/name], [name]Elise[/name] etc…

Though I 100% understand people thinking [name]Elliot[/name] is definitely a boys name I don’t understand people saying it sounds very masculine and that the ending is “harsh sounding” [name]Charlotte[/name] is a beautiful very feminine name with the exact same ending. And extremely similiar to names like [name]Juliette[/name]… which are also considered very feminine.

[name]Elliott[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] do not have the same ending sound.
[name]Elliott[/name] is ee-ut, [name]Juliet[/name] is ee-et, and [name]Charlotte[/name] is lut. To me ee-ut sounds very masculine, ee-et sounds feminine, and lut sounds less feminine than ee-et, but not as harsh and masculine as ee-ut.

I’m sorry; I don’t like it at all. It’s a boy’s name. I’ve seen a few people get cre8iv with Elliette, but according to Behind the Name it’s a boy name also. I doubt it’s in use in the States, but [name]Elliot[/name]/[name]Elliott[/name] is a boys name. I’d leave it that way.

I like it for a girl. I am kinda a fan of unisex names though… :slight_smile:
However, I would spell the name like [name]Eliot[/name] because to me, that seems more like a girl’s name.
What about [name]Eliot[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] or [name]Eliot[/name] [name]Mariah[/name]? I like those combinations…

[name]Elliot[/name] is not unisex