Elly

I have always loved the nickname [name]Elly[/name], ever since I was really little. It has stuck with me into adulthood, and I’m considering it now as I’m at the beginnings of my pregnancy. I’m not a big fan of [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Elise[/name], more traditional ways of getting to [name]Elly[/name]. Here are three I’m thinking of:

[name]Eloise[/name] - For some reason, I cannot get this name out of my head! I think it is stunning, and I absolutely loved the [name]Eloise[/name] books as a kid. I think its elegant and graceful, while [name]Elly[/name] is cute and playful, balancing the name out.

[name]Elsa[/name] - This is actually my great-grandmother’s name, and I think its ready to come back into style. Its a name that could last a lifetime.

Erlea - This is a Basque name meaning “bee” (pn air-[name]LEE[/name]-uh or air-[name]LAY[/name]-uh, depending on the accent. Not sure which one we would go with yet), and I think it would be a cool way to honor my husband’s twin sister [name]Deborah[/name] (which also means “bee”). It might be a stretch to get to [name]Elly[/name], but I really like it.

Which do you think is the best way to get to [name]Elly[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you have any creative suggestions for more names? Thanks!

[name]Sofia[/name]

I love [name]Eloise[/name] the best out of your choices. Erlea is lovely and intriguing, but you’ll probably get a lot of problems in the US or other English speaking places. It sort of looks like a tryndeigh spelling of ‘early’. [name]Elsa[/name] is nice but I prefer it as a nickname. [name]Eloise[/name] is gorgeous! There’s also:

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Elettra[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Elysia[/name]
[name]Elvira[/name]
[name]Elisheva[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]

These are a bit of a stretch:

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]

I know a [name]Murielle[/name] who went by [name]Elly[/name].

I like [name]Eloise[/name] most. Classic!

Ladies, I think I am in [name]LOVE[/name]! After seeing the movie Inception tonight, I could totally see an absolutely adorable set of sisters named [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Filippa[/name], [name]Elly[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name]! While there is really no way I could guarantee this ever happening, I seem to have found the ones :slight_smile: However, I saw Inception with my brother, and hubby was too tired to discuss names by the time I got back, so I don’t know how he feels about this. But, if he likes [name]Filippa[/name], I’m pretty sure I’ve got my top new names.

If not…

Thanks irisrose for your thoughts/suggestions! I hadn’t really noticed before, but now I can totally see how someone could mistake Erlea for an attempt at [name]Early[/name] (this is the same problem I have with a Finnish name I love, Lyyli! I would never use it because a) the pronunciation is not obvious - its Loolee - and b) everyone would think it was a slightly trashy attempt at [name]Lily[/name].) I’m still going to hold on to Erlea though since I actually like quite a few boy Basque names as potential brothers - that could be a direction I take…I like your suggestion of [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Eliora[/name], [name]Eleni[/name], and [name]Elysia[/name], and while I only really liked [name]Ad[/name]”le from your “stretches”, they reminded me of the name [name]Fiorella[/name], which I really like :slight_smile:

Thanks jhansi and bex for your thoughts! [name]Eloise[/name] is a classic - so lovely! - and [name]Murielle[/name] is an interesting way to get to [name]Elly[/name].

If you had to pick one from this list, what would it be:
[name]Eloise[/name] - nn [name]Elly[/name]
Erlea - nn [name]Elly[/name]
[name]Filippa[/name] - nn [name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] - nn Vy
[name]Valentina[/name] - nn [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name] - nn [name]Elly[/name]
[name]Fiorella[/name] - nn [name]Elly[/name]
[name]Roma[/name] - nn [name]Romy[/name]
[name]Suzannah[/name] - nn [name]Sukie[/name]
[name]Ad[/name]”le - nn either [name]Elly[/name] or [name]Addie[/name]
*I’m adding [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name] nn [name]Bea[/name]! because I think that [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], and [name]Filippa[/name] would be amazing sisters!

Thanks so much everyone! Hopefully I can get a boys name list compiled at some point, since I have a lot of different styles and directions we could go with on that front.

[name]Sofia[/name]

From your list I really like [name]Susannah[/name] (spelt this way) because there are so many possible nns, [name]Anna[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Sue[/name], [name]Susie[/name] and [name]Sukie[/name]. I also think that [name]Phillipa[/name] would be a great name for her sister [name]Sukie[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name]?

I definitely agree - [name]Sukie[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name] is so cute! Hmm…[name]Suzannah[/name] vs [name]Susannah[/name], an interesting issue. Some spellings just “speak” to certain people, I guess. For example, I prefer [name]Filippa[/name] with an “F” because my name, [name]Sofia[/name], is spelt with an “f” instead of a “P”. However, for the name [name]Delphina[/name] (a name we’re considering in the middle), I prefer the “ph” spelling over, say, [name]Delfina[/name]. I just don’t know why :slight_smile:

[name]Brielle[/name]