Elmina?

Saw this name on the top 1000 of 1890, it’s a shortened version of the weighty [name]Wilhelmina[/name]. Is it too weird or foreign or just odd? I’m pronouncing it el-me-na, haven’t decided whether it should be [name]EL[/name]-me-na or el-ME-na. Opinions would be lovely!

It’s too old-fashioned for my tastes.
And the sound is a bit annoying to me.

But our tastes are rather different so, take my opinion with a cup of salt. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would pronounce it el-MEE-na. I can’t say that I like it much, though - the spelling reminds me of [name]Elvira[/name] and the overall effect is very dowdy. I’d prefer [name]Wilhelmina[/name], as much of a mouthful as it is.

My mom’s aunt is named [name]Elmina[/name] pronounced
el-MY-na

I like this, and would probably pronounce it el-MEE-na. I actually prefer the similar [name]Almina[/name], though, which I would pronounce ALL-mi-na.

I feel like it sounds like Eliminate, but I may be crazy. It’s not my taste, but I don’t think it’s bad. As far as that style goes I think it’s rather pretty.

Hmm, I love [name]Wilhelmina[/name], but [name]Elmina[/name]…not so much. It sort of makes me think that someone had a grandpa [name]Elmo[/name] in their family and wanted to honor them with their daughters name.