Eloise...

My grandmother’s name is [name]Lois[/name], and I was thinking [name]Eloise[/name] might be a good way to honor her, since it spells [name]Lois[/name] in the middle of the name. I’m just not sure of [name]Lois[/name] on it’s own…

What do you think?

I don’t dislike [name]Lois[/name] on its own, though it wouldn’t be my first choice either.
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]! I also love [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name]! Alll three of these names use the letters from [name]Lois[/name], but none of them have the same “low” sound, so I guess it depends on what you’re comfortable with in terms of feeling that it still honors your grandma.
Another possibility for honoring [name]Lois[/name] is [name]Lola[/name], which is also a very pretty name and starts with the same sound.

I think [name]Eloise[/name] is lovely, and a great way to honor your grandma!

I think I am one of the only people on nameberry to [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Lois[/name], but I think in the US it is a bit more of an old lady name (where as I just think of [name]Lois[/name] [name]Lane[/name] and I love the nn Lo). So I would use it as it is. That said, if you’re not a fan, I agree that [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Louise[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] are all lovely alternatives!

I like [name]Eloise[/name] a lot, and prefer it to [name]Lois[/name], personally. [name]How[/name] it goes with your last name makes a difference though - it sounds terrible with mine, or else I would have given it more consideration myself! [name]Lola[/name] is a nice alternative too, although becoming popular I think.

I think that if you really want to honor your grandma, you should use [name]Lois[/name]. I know that it is now common to use similar names to honor someone, but I’ve never understood this. I think the honor comes from choosing the actual name (or nn), whatever it may be. Now, if you don’t actually like the name of the person you wish to honor, you have a choice. [name]Do[/name] you use the name in the middle name slot? Or do you just go with a name you like, and find some other way to honor the person? As for the name [name]Lois[/name], I think it is quite pretty. I really like it. It sounds classy in its simplicity - kind of like names like [name]Helen[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Lily[/name].

I just [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eloise[/name], and think it’s a fantastic and logical way to honor a [name]Lois[/name]. (I love the [name]Louisa[/name] suggestion, too.) :slight_smile:

I am named after my grandmother (her initials), and don’t feel any less named after her because I wasn’t given her actual first name. (My parents wanted to give me my own identity due to the tragic circumstances surrounding her death, and because my grieving dad knew that it would be too hard for him to call me by her name. )

There are many ways to honor deceased loved ones, such as using initials (a common practice in the Jewish religion), similar names, surnames, meanings of names, or, of course, the actual name.

If you’re comfortable using [name]Eloise[/name] to honor [name]Lois[/name], I think it’s a wonderful choice!

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Eloise[/name] for [name]Lois[/name].

I knew a [name]Lois[/name] when I was in high school, though, and I thought her name “should” be a mom name, but she made it work, and worked it. She was a cool person. I think a lot of people knew someone like her in high school and became hipsters and pick out odd names that aren’t old enough to make a scheduled comeback in popularity, but are good strong names that are appealing no matter what age.

Although I also like [name]Louise[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name], I’ve also considered [name]Aloisa[/name]. [name]Aloisa[/name] is the feminization of [name]Alois[/name], related to [name]Louis[/name]. I think it has more of a hard S of [name]Lois[/name], [name]Ah[/name]-low-ees-a, but I’m not certain, than [name]Eloise[/name] [name]El[/name]-oh-eez. My favorite, if you don’t want to use [name]Lois[/name] is between [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Aloisa[/name].

I just wanted to add that I also have an honor to my grandmother in my middle name, as a name built on two significances, one of which was after her, meaning an entirely 3rd thing, and it’s still definitely special to me. I like that it’s part her but it’s mine.

i [name]LOVE[/name] lois ! eloise is an okay name, cute for a little girl & acceptable when they get older:) eloise lois sounds very cute to.

I think it is a gorgeous idea! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] :slight_smile:

I just love [name]Eloise[/name]. I agree that [name]Eloise[/name] honors [name]Lois[/name], because [name]Lois[/name] is in the middle of [name]Eloise[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name], too, and I think they are very similar to [name]Lois[/name].

I agree. I think any of the above names honor your grandmother [name]Lois[/name]. [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are my favorites :slight_smile:

I have to agree. I don’t really get the common practice of honoring someone with a name that is different but sort of sounds the same.
Anyway…I love the name [name]Eloise[/name] so if you feel like you are honoring someone special then go for it.

I have to agree. I don’t really get the common practice of honoring someone with a name that is different but sort of sounds the same.
Anyway…I love the name [name]Eloise[/name] so if you feel like you are honoring someone special then go for it.[/quote]

First of all, it is not just “now” becoming popular. It has always been done. It is just that some people do it differently, to the letter, and that’s always been done also.

Whenever people like to do this, if they’re able and have strict terms, they do choose the actual name, no related names or unrelated close names, or updated spelling. I think some relatives do not settle for a partial honor either.

On the other hand, it speaks to the past without being the past. Grandma’s name was [name]Giulietta[/name], for example. Well, I like [name]Julia[/name]. We don’t live in [name]Italy[/name] like she did. I mean, pass up an opportunity for a fantastic, authentic Italian vibrant, textural name? What are ya, nuts? Yes, we are moving forward. She has a piece of grandma in her and with her always, but she is an individual in her own time, in her own place.

I think it is a matter of preference. It’s easy to say now, you’d choose [name]Giulietta[/name] in a heartbeat, if only you had some authentic background story, because it’s kind of unusual.

Some people you love have really gross names. Some people you don’t know, don’t remember, and anyone who does remember them wishes they didn’t, but they have “the cool name,” that you just see and go a-Ha, how can we keep looking, that’s so perfect. If you’re playing the ancestry game, this cherry-picking tends to annoy me, but it’s not my kid, not my preference.

Sometimes your mom and your SO’s mom have almost the same name, [name]Marion[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name], for example, and you want to use it, but you can’t decide which way, and you can’t use it both ways. I think everyone wants to be best loved, but peace in the family, find a name that compromises their name. So, [name]Mary[/name]? [name]Marian[/name], [name]Mariana[/name], [name]Marya[/name]? This solves a problem elegantly.

Sometimes, the person you want to honor is not the same sex as your child. Sometimes, this can “not matter,” but to many people, it does. Daughters were named after their father or a grandfather all the time. That’s where feminizations came from. DRAMATIZATION: You are not going to name a boy [name]Lois[/name], but you still want to honor the person; you may never have a daughter, so you better honor the people you feel the need to honor and not let this pass. You are going to find something suitable for a boy, like [name]Louis[/name], or maybe [name]Carlos[/name]!, so if you are going to modify for a boy, you can modify for a girl.

There are so many beautiful names, and variations of names. It partly hurts me inside to copy someone’s name. I guess I know the search has to end sometime, but if it’s just decided like that, the hunt is over, and you didn’t even come up with a new name for a new person. Some people feel strongly about the ties and traditions of heritage, and the bonds they feel to a name are to the person themselves; different by even a letter is not the same, I get it, but there is another strong tradition called “mixing it up.” Progress.

I definitely see it both ways, and when I have kids, I’ll do it how I want. Which is, I don’t know. Strongly considering [name]Giulietta[/name].

[name]Pam[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] wrote a great blog on the various ways in which people choose honor relatives. There’s no right or wrong, of course, just varying opinions. There’s an interesting poll at the end, too.

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/01/04/how-important-are-family-names/

Take care! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your input! I’m happy/relieved so many of you think that [name]Eloise[/name] is a good name to honor my Grandma [name]Lois[/name]. I do like [name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name] as well. Some combinations I really like are:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]

Thanks again! It’s been great to read your comments!

I love [name]Jane[/name] for a first name! [name]Jane[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] is really pretty.

I personally think [name]Eloise[/name] is a great way to honour a [name]Lois[/name].