Elspeth!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

I was wondering what your opinions on [name]Elspeth[/name] are - as well as any connections you have with the name, good or bad! I am also curious as to what nicknames you can come up with.

DH and I have been discussing names for a while, and while he didn’t (doesn’t?) really like [name]Elspeth[/name] too much, he knows I love it and has agreed to it (lucky me!). We’re considering [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Miriam[/name] for his sister [name]Mim[/name] whom we both love and is an awesome person.

Thanks!

I’m not sure what it means or the origins but I think [name]Elspeth[/name] reminds me of a nymph or fairy… It’s a litte out there, I’m not going to lie. I’m not a huge fan, as it is a little tricky to read/pronounce. What about Elsabeth? With nickname [name]Elsa[/name] or Ells?

Secondly, I think it’s really important for your husband to at least like whatever name you two pick. This is a really big decision for the two of you, and one he’ll be faced with everyday. Can you imaging calling your daughter a name you don’t like? He sounds like a great guy, but I would suggest avoiding the possibility that he may end up resenting you, or worse the baby. Why not avoid the possibility? What about reversing the middle and first name?

There are so many names out there that there has to be at least one that you both like. I read some great advice, I think on this website, that says you should talk about what you want the name to mean/how it feels, or what traits you want to associate with her name. I would suggest agreeing on that first and then coming up with 10-20 names independently and see if any overlap.

I like it. Are you planning to use a nickname? [name]Elsie[/name]? [name]Elise[/name]?

And I LOOVE [name]Miriam[/name]! Gorgeous.

I love [name]Elspeth[/name]! I have liked that name for a long time. I would avoid [name]Elsie[/name] as a nickname - always makes me think of a cow or someone obese. I would call her [name]Elspeth[/name] or if you need to shorten it, [name]Elle[/name] would be a nice choice.

babyhansolo thanks so much for your comment! [name]Elspeth[/name] isn’t particularly common here (Australia) but I know one or two of them. It’s the Scottish version of [name]Elizabeth[/name], and feels much softer to me.

DH doesn’t mind [name]Elspeth[/name] now; he doesn’t like it but he doesn’t dislike it - and he loves the nickname [name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ella[/name]. We do have a few other names on the list, but he isn’t fussed - he feels that the name will become defined by who the child is, so as long as we avoid the ones he really dislikes it’s a-ok!

A few names we’re agreed on are [name]Esme[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Claudia[/name] (and [name]Elspeth[/name]) for a girl; [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Tobias[/name] or [name]William[/name] for a boy.

There are a lot more that I love but he doesn’t want, so they are most definitely off the list! Like [name]Madeleine[/name], my great-grandma’s name, and [name]Odette[/name].

phaedrap I like [name]Elsie[/name] for a nickname, and w can always use [name]Mim[/name] (such a cute nn) if she doesn’t really suit [name]Elsie[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] :slight_smile:

poptart I just saw your reply as I was typing this :smiley: DH loves [name]Elle[/name], so we’d probably go with that even though I like [name]Elsie[/name] too; it’s nice to find out how other people see the names/nicknames since I’m so in love with it I see it with rose-tinted spectacles!