Emelia or Isabelle?

We are pregnant with twins and don’t know the sexes yet, but we do know they are identical! We are TOTALLY lost on boy names, but are getting somewhere on the girls list!

If they are girls, one will most definitely be [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] ([name_u]Abby[/name_u]) [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

I think we have the other girls name narrowed down to:

[name_f]Emelia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_f]Emma[/name_f])

Or

[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] ([name_u]Izzy[/name_u])

Big brother is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. Last name rhymes with hood.

Which do you like better?

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is beautiful! I’m not a big fan of the name [name_f]Emelia[/name_f] because I think it will be mistaken for “[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]” because that is so popular right now.

I think that [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is a lovely name - great combo!

[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Personally, I would just go with [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] (I prefer this spelling. Any reason why you’re opting for [name_f]Emelia[/name_f]? It looks like it’s taking parts of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], but not as attractive as either one. I know it’s quite popular in the Hispanic community, but I prefer the Italian [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], personally), but that’s just me! I adore both of those. I used to adore [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] (and [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is lovely!)–I just find [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] to be more my style these days. With [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], I like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] the best–but I would probably like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] best regardless, as it’s my top choice should I ever get a little girl. I think it’s so beautiful. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] “[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]” is adorable! And [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] are fab together.

Good luck!

I like the spelling [name_f]Emelia[/name_f] vs [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] because of pronunciation. We would pronounce it Eh-meel-ia, and I feel like if we spelled it [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] it would be pronounced Eh-mil-ia. Does that make sense?

Personally, I prefer [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], but I like that [name_f]Emelia[/name_f] is less popular since [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is top 10. Plus, DH is more open to [name_f]Emelia[/name_f].

This is why we have to start early…I have no idea how we’re going to pick TWO names! Lol!

Congratulations! Unfortunately, I don’t think that [name_f]Emelia[/name_f] clarifies pronunciation. Because the spelling is different, it actually makes them think the pronunciation would be eh-meh-lia.

Also, if you add the number of girls named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (7191) and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] (about 1200) along with [name_f]Emelia[/name_f] (400), you’re almost in Top 10 territory.

Yes, there are still more girls named [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] etc. But it is not THAT much more individual.

I’m curious: [name_m]How[/name_m] do you know they’re identical but not know the gender?

I would not use [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] together for twins because they’re too close to rhyming. 3 syllables with [name_f]Gail[/name_f] and [name_f]Belle[/name_f] on the end, not a good idea. My mother would be the first person to tell you to find two names as different as possible for your twins. She’s a twin. Her name is [name_f]Sharen[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u] and her twin’s name is [name_f]Karen[/name_f] [name_f]Fay[/name_f]. They were called WooWoo and Tinky their entire lives, even all through high school by friends and teachers, because people couldn’t keep their real names straight. And no, they’re not identical. She has stressed to me over and over again the importance of finding two names that have absolutely nothing in common should I have twins one day (they run in our family). Her mother is also a twin. Her name is [name_f]Velma[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u] and her twin’s name was [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u]. My grandmother has been called Toad her entire life!
SO, of course, my preference is for [name_f]Emelia[/name_f]. However, I do like the [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] spellings quite a bit more.

I agree with [name_f]Pam[/name_f] (:)) I would pronounce [name_f]Emelia[/name_f] ‘eh-MEH-lee-ah’ as opposed to ‘eh-MEE-lee-ah’ for [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. I thought that was what you were going for with the spelling, in which case I actually kind of like it. That subtle difference in pronunciation makes it more distinct, imo.

Doh! [name_m]Just[/name_m] did more research on [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and feel like an idiot. I actually [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] the pronunciation [name_f]Emily[/name_f]-ah! Definitely discussing this with DH!

We know they are identical based on the U/S. they are very close together…almost as if they are in the same sac (but they are not). Fraternal twins are almost always very obviously in different sacs in early u/s…lots of space between them! Gender does t have much to do with it since you can have b/b or g/g fraternal twins.

There is still a small chance that they are fraternal, but based on our u/s and the fact that fraternal twins don’t run in my family (frat are hereditary, identical are random) the doc is pretty confident that they are identical. :smiley:

I think [name_u]Abby[/name_u] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] are gorgeous together, so I choose [name_f]Emelia[/name_f], although I prefer it spelled [name_f]Emilia[/name_f].

That is really interesting about the twins, mamatoo – I never knew that! And [name_f]Emily[/name_f]-ah is not a very obvious pronunciation, I don’t think – I would assume eh-MEEL-ya (and I do think a lot of people will say it that way).

Any chance we can nudge you to some more adventurous choices? Are you set on [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]?

I would go with [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. Where I live, there are so many [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/a that I am tired of hearing it. I don’t like the [name_f]Emily[/name_f] uh prn at all.