Emerson... too feminine??

I am really liking the name [name]Emerson[/name], but I have been hearing of a lot of girls with this name. I thought it sounded like a strong male name, but is it too feminine??

sounds masculine to me!

[name]Love[/name] it for a boy.

sorry, I think girl. :confused:

Unfortunately, [name]Emerson[/name] has been stolen by the girls, and it’s now more popular in the girls’ camp than in the boys’. If I were to hear of an [name]Emerson[/name], I’d assume it was a little girl (and then wonder why that little girl was given a boys’ name).

Plus, with [name]Emma[/name] being number one, and [name]Emily[/name] at #3 (I think), that’s an awful lot of little Ems running around.

I agree with the [name]Emma[/name]/[name]Em[/name] comment. This is why it is so hard to name a little boy, all of their names are being taken over by girls!!

Here are some more -son names that haven’t gone to the girls yet:

[name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Davidson[/name]
[name]Dawson[/name]
[name]Denison[/name]
[name]Ellison[/name] (nn [name]Ellis[/name] or [name]Eli[/name])
[name]Edison[/name]
[name]Gibson[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Jefferson[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name]
[name]Pierson[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Stevenson[/name]
[name]Tennyson[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

If you are afraid it is too feminine but love it, use it as a middle name or pair it with a very masculine name.

I love this name. While I was looking at it for a girl, I do not think it has transitioned into a feminine name. It is still a masculine name that some people are hijacking for a girl.

If a boy is named [name]Emerson[/name] I do not think his masculinity will be questioned or that he will be teased for having a girl’s name.

I’m sorry, but I’m with the [name]Emerson[/name] is too feminine camp, and [name]Jill[/name] makes the excellent point that its similarity to number one [name]Emma[/name] and long-time favorite [name]Emily[/name] – not to mention new hotties [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Emeline[/name] – just really tips it over the edge. Middle name: good idea.

I agree; if you like it for a boy use it!

ETA: If you look at the popularity graph [name]Emerson[/name] has not yet started to decline in popularity on the boy’s side, so there’s still quite a few who think that it’s usable for a boy.

Give me a break!! It’s a boy’s name. I mean, it’s obvious - and all of a sudden people started using it for a girl to copy a Hollywood actress, and suddenly it’s feminine? [name]Silly[/name]. it’s a boy’s name, everyone knows that, and who cares if some people are using it for a girl and calling her “[name]Emmie[/name]” or whatever in order to NOT use the boy’s name [name]Emerson[/name] as a girls name! Hilarous. It’s like thinking that a different spelling somehow makes a name unique.

I think [name]Emerson[/name] is a gorgeous boy’s name!
And not too feminine at all, It’s very popular in Scandinavian countries…One example is [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Burton[/name] from the Finnish rock band HIM…
I’d say just go with the name you like best, other peopel will learn to love it! :slight_smile:

[name]Emerson[/name] is so much nicer for a boy than a girl. And the association with [name]Ralph[/name] [name]Waldo[/name] is always a good thing.

Definitely a boys name! I would never consider it feminine at all.

It is a boys name, but I know a girl named that. I know a boy with that as his middle name. I think it is up to you. I love [name]Rowan[/name], and [name]Brooke[/name] Shields has a daughter named that. Girls often take names away from the boys!

Maybe:

[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Jensen[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Sutton[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Anson[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]