Emilia Cate? Are we crazy?

Hello to all of you!

My husband and I are hoping that some of you may be able to assist us in our war, err name, games.

We have a few contenders that we’re hoping to get some thoughts on and we would welcome and greatly appreciate any additional suggestions.We live in Illinois, in an area where names such as [name]Braxton[/name], Broden and Brynleigh reign supreme. Our taste in names tends to run on the more traditional or vintage side, especially given our last name is Higgins.

Here are our contenders:
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] Higgins
This is our absolute favorite at the moment. I’ve never been fond of the name “[name]Amelia[/name]” but I discovered this variation while perusing this site and fell in love with it. We love the softer “EH-meel-ee-yah” as opposed to the more blunt “UH-mee-lee-uh” of [name]Amelia[/name]. Does that make any sense or is it just ridiculous?
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] Higgins
[name]Grace[/name] was initially our first choice but after reading about it’s re-emerging popularity, we’ve kind of went off the name. We do like [name]Adelaide[/name] but aren’t keen on considering it for a first name.
[name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name] Higgins
This name has a bit of meaning for us but we’re both having difficulty seeing it as anything other than elderly.

We welcome your thoughts and suggestions and thank you for your time! :slight_smile:

Have you thought of combining [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name]? [name]Adelaide[/name] gives it more of a funky punch not that [name]Iris[/name] is not a funky name.

I adore [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] I stay stick with that.

I think all three name combos are lovely. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

I like all three. I also like [name]Iris[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emilia[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you live in Barrington? I went to BHS, class of 1997.

I think you should go with [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] since that’s your favorite. [name]Emilia[/name] is a bit unusual but it’s legit and easy to pronounce.

First off, you have a fantastic list! I’d be glad to have any of these names.

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] Higgins- If this is your absolute favorite, use it! It’s a great name. To me, [name]Amelia[/name] is uh-MEEL-ya and [name]Emilia[/name] is eh-MEE-lee-a.

[name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] Higgins- You have to weigh how important popularity is to you. [name]Will[/name] you regret not using a name you love because it’s popular? And remember, there’s always a chance that she could grow up knowing tons of other Emilias/Irises and never meet another [name]Grace[/name]. You just can’t tell. Also know that popularity isn’t what it used to be. [name]Grace[/name] ranked #18 in 2010, given to .3914% of babies. In 1980, .3914% would’ve ranked #42, between [name]Christine[/name] and [name]Brandy[/name]. Popularity is a funny thing, and you never know how it’ll affect you- don’t let it be the only deciding factor. It’s a beautiful and classic name no matter what!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name] Higgins- I think a change of middle would make it seem less old. I’ve recently come to really like [name]Iris[/name], and I think [name]Iris[/name] [name]Cate[/name], [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Iris[/name] [name]Grace[/name], or [name]Iris[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] would make it seem more modern.

All three are lovely names. You really can’t go wrong.

Have you considered [name]June[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]June[/name]? I think it’s lovely and vintage and spunky. [name]Truly[/name] classic.

I [name]LOVE[/name] all your names! [name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] comes in last only because I personally know quite a few [name]Grace[/name]'s in my area, but like some of the pp said, you never know who your child will be surrounded by… I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Emilia[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cate[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Iris[/name] (all of those were on my list at some point) and I [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestion of [name]June[/name] (we are thinking of using that as a MN as we already have a [name]Mae[/name])! In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with ANY of them…sorry to not be much help, other than I guess to validate ALL your names! Good luck!

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is beautiful!!! I think I love it! Couldnt suggest anything better.

=
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] Higgins: Though I can’t really differentiate in pronunciation between [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name], I think [name]Emilia[/name] is a lovely name! More distinctive than [name]Amelia[/name], too. [name]Cate[/name]'s not really my style-- I prefer full names over nicknames, even in the middle-- but the combo flows well.

[name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] Higgins: [name]Grace[/name] is utterly boring to me. I know virtually dozens of them under the age of 18. That’s not to say it’s a bad choice, though, just an extremely popular one. And it may not be popular in your area, though I think it’s one that appeals to both tryndeighs and classic namers alike, so you never know.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name] Higgins: I love [name]Iris[/name]. It’s my middle name, and I’ve always appreciated it. But I do get a bit of an old-lady vibe with [name]June[/name]… Maybe [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emilia[/name]? That would be gorgeous. And I’m sure when you see your little baby, ‘elderly’ will be the furthest from your mind! So I wouldn’t really worry about that part.

You really can’t go wrong, but my first choice would be [name]Iris[/name], followed by [name]Emilia[/name]. :slight_smile:

One other suggestion that I think is beautiful (and I haven’t seen suggested, but maybe am repeating)…is [name]Emilia[/name] [name]June[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t know the significance of [name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name], but I think [name]Emilia[/name] [name]June[/name] flows even better and you mentioned not being able to see [name]Iris[/name] as more than elderly.

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name]–why would you be crazy for liking this? I think it’s perfect! I, too, have a bit of trouble differentiating between [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name], but, like you, I really can’t stand [name]Amelia[/name]. I think [name]Emilia[/name] is gorgeous! And I love its nns ([name]Emmy[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Millie[/name], [name]Lia[/name], etc.). I think [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is seriously cute, and [name]Emilia[/name] Higgins/[name]Emmy[/name] Higgins sounds so adorable!

[name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]–[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Grace[/name]! I know it’s hugely popular, but it leaves such a strikingly GORGEOUS impression with me! I know two Graces already, but I think I’d be impressed to meet any [name]Grace[/name], lol. My reservations with your combo is that [name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] is very “AY” heavy, and that I’m not crazy about the nn [name]Gracie[/name]. I think [name]Grace[/name] [name]Emilia[/name] would be gorgeous, too, if you were willing to give up [name]Emilia[/name] as a FN. [name]Grace[/name] Higgins, too, sounds adorable!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name]–I’m not the hugest fan of [name]June[/name], but I do like [name]Iris[/name] a lot! I prefer it as a MN, though. I think [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Iris[/name] would be seriously cute!

I think [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is my favorite, but I really, really like [name]Grace[/name], too. If I were considering them for myself, [name]Grace[/name] would win, as it’s my grandmother’s MN, and I wouldn’t want my [name]Emilia[/name] to be mistook for an [name]Amelia[/name]. :confused: And [name]Iris[/name] seems strangely unusable as a FN to me, for some reason. But all your options are stunning! Good luck!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] it is very, very pretty. My daughter’s mn is [name]Kate[/name] and I am so pleased that I gave her this name and she loves it.

All the best,

rollo :slight_smile:

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is lovely. [name]Emilia[/name] is a character in [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s [name]Othello[/name], and I’ve loved that name since reading the play in college.

All of your choices are very nice.

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is my favorite. [name]Cate[/name]/[name]Kate[/name] is one shortened name that I really like much better than the original ( [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Catherine[/name]). I think it is great combo. I also prefer [name]Emilia[/name] to [name]Amelia[/name].

[name]Grace[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]: I adore the name [name]Grace[/name], unlike [name]Ava[/name], it’s popularity has not swayed my love for it. I think it is eternally classic. I like [name]Adelaide[/name] as well, but I also see so many different possible combinations with [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is good option if you are worried about encountering too many little Graces

[name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name]: Cute combo but my least favorite of your choices. [name]Iris[/name] is the name I have the old lady twitch about. Although I still think it is a nice classic name. [name]June[/name] is cute, but nothing too special [name]IMO[/name].