Emily?

Thoughts on [name_f]Emily[/name_f]? Is it too boring/expected?

1 Like

it is expected, but it also has a darling sound and a horde of namesakes. i genuinely really love emily.

5 Likes

To me, [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a timeless classic, not necessarily “expected”. Other names I’d consider similarly are [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

“Expected” names to me are more along the lines of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. All of these are lovely in their own regard, but I find them to be more popular/of the moment.

3 Likes

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] is warm, sweet and rugged and has the [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Brontë[/name_f] connection:) I do like it but it is popular

1 Like

I find it too boring and overused. I like a lot of classic names like Emily that others might consider boring, too, to be fair! But Emily just doesn’t do it for me.

3 Likes

trying to view my own name as an outsider lol…

although it’s common, it gives me happy, warm, bouncy vibes while sounding intelligent at the same time. I think it’s more useable now for a less common name than it was about 20 years ago (when I was born) since its popularity has gone down to about #15 from #1.

I’d agree that names like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are more “expected” nowadays, also the likes of [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], etc.

1 Like

LOVE [name_f]Emily[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] style is classic and that is what I’d consider [name_f]Emily[/name_f], but I find it a bit bland, expected, and somewhat dated.

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] is well loved for a reason - she’s versatile, classic, playful, etc. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a stunning choice.

1 Like

It’s very popular, and she certainly won’t be the only [name_f]Emily[/name_f], but right now, it’s not terribly expected compared to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], etc. It’s #41, which means a child born around this time would likely be younger than most Emilys. Which I like, as a [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] who was born after [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] was out of style. :stuck_out_tongue: People assume I’m older than I am, even though I have a baby face, and I feel like I get along better with older people because they make assumptions on the type of person I am based on when my name was popular. Which is shallow, but there it is.

In addition, [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a beautiful, classic name. It has a beautiful history, as it was borne by so many authors, poets, and other great people. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m] is a favorite, in addition to the [name_f]Brontë[/name_f] sister, and then there’s Emily’s Runaway [name_f]Imagination[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] of [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] (one of my favorites as a kid), etc. It can work well for a rugged tomboy, a laid-back down to earth farm girl, an [name_f]English[/name_f] debutante, a creative spirit … it’s so versatile!

Now, it’s not for everyone, but it’s such a beautiful name!

2 Likes

I honestly really love [name_f]Emily[/name_f]. It’s just too popular imo. Which is very unfortunate. Maybe in a couple years it’ll be less popular!

I love [name_f]Emily[/name_f].

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a wonderful name! It’s just so common that I know multiple but don’t let popularity get in the way of a name you truly adore. I like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] best in its traditional spelling and I think it is even better as a middle name since it is typically never in that spot.

Here are some similar alternatives to [name_f]Emily[/name_f] that might spike your interest!
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Demi[/name_f]
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_f]Aileen[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaylee[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Kylie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralee[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Katie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellery[/name_u]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_u]Tali[/name_u]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Emily[/name_f]. She’s got such a warm, lilting sound. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] was THE name of my generation and I grew up with about a million of them. It was so common that I stopped being able to actually hear the name, if that makes sense. Now that the popularity has waned a bit, I can see the appeal.

[name_f]Emmy[/name_f] feels very expected to me, but [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is lovely. I think she’d feel fresh paired with very classic/vintage names. Maybe something like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], sister to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_u]Robert[/name_u].

I absolutely love [name_f]Emily[/name_f] ! If it wasn’t my neighbour’s name and my coworker my son would have been [name_f]Emily[/name_f] if he was a girl!

I don’t like it. It’s a perfectly fine name of course, I’m just not keen on the -ily sound, milly [name_f]Lily[/name_f] etc, with the exception of [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]. I find it frilly, probably because it rhymes. I defs unashamedly like plenty of names that would be considered boring, I wouldn’t let that put you off. Popularity would bother me though… it’s whether it bothers you.

Yea I’d have to agree, I personally wouldn’t use because it’s lost its originality.

I love it, it’s such a classic!

I think for me personally it is too expected and was so popular when I was a child that I think it will be a “mom” name soon if it isn’t already. It does have a nice sound but it’s just not my thing.

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] is so pretty and traditional, I don’t think it’s overused even though it’s common. It’s such a classic, that it’s always been fairly popular, but I don’t think extremely overused.