Emma vs. Margot

Ok, so I thought I had decided On the name [name]Emma[/name] for our daughter. But I can’t seem to shake the feeling that it is just too popular. I try to tell myself that it doesn’t matter and that it’s the name we love and agree on but the popularity thing is really getting to me (and my husband). So I recently came across the name [name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margo[/name] and I like it a lot. I want a classic name that still has a fun quirky edge to it. We have a 2 yr old daughter named [name]Molly[/name].

What do you think? Does [name]Molly[/name] go with [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Margot[/name] better? Am I crazy for worrying so much about the popularity of [name]Emma[/name]? Does it really matter? I myself have a name that was very popular at the time I was born and sometimes it was a pain. But I lived! I just don’t know. So confused. Help Please:-)

If popularity bothers you, stay away from [name]Emma[/name]. They are everywhere and in many variations.
[name]Molly[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] are so cute together! love it! i prefer [name]Margo[/name], but the name is lovely

I love the name [name]Margot[/name]. (there is also Margeaux/[name]Margaux[/name])
I understand the popularity issue of [name]Emma[/name]. But I suppose if you are both totally in love with that name more than anything else, perhaps it would be worth using it despite the popularity. Maybe you can add a middle name that can be used for a double first name? ([name]Emma[/name] [name]Rae[/name], for example). That way it would be more unique.

Personally, I like [name]Emma[/name] much better than [name]Margot[/name]. [name]Margot[/name]'s always felt a bit harsh to me, although it is quite lovely. Besides, I think stylistically [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] are a wonderful match, and I don’t like the matchy "M"s for [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Margot[/name]. [name]Both[/name] names are lovely, though. Have you thought about doing [name]Margot[/name] [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Emma[/name] [name]Margot[/name]? Or even [name]Emmeline[/name]/[name]Emilia[/name] nn [name]Emma[/name]?

I agree with a couple of things that ashthedreamer said eg

I like the combo of [name]Emma[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
I like the sibset of [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]
BUT
I do not think [name]Margot[/name] is the slightest bit harsh, though I would say that about [name]Margaret[/name]
I think [name]Margot[/name] is gorgeous, sophisticated, elegant, classic and unusual (I am very biased though as it is my mn and the one that the world uses for me)
[name]Margot[/name] is very on trend at the moment with people loving “o” sounds

rollo

I love [name]Margot[/name], and although I think that [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] are a super cute sister set, I think that [name]Emma[/name] is WAYYYY too popular, at least IMHO. Not too harsh at all!

[name]Molly[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] sound much better, but if you don’t like popularity, then avoid [name]Emma[/name] as a pp pointed out.

I think [name]Margo[/name] fits your quirky, classic requirements.

I LOATHE [name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margo[/name] and personally I love [name]Emma[/name]. I think It’s so simple and beautiful and popularity isn’t really an issue for me.

You might like:

[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] nn [name]Emmy[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]/[name]Maria[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] I helped :stuck_out_tongue:

I love both names, really. Regarding he popularity of [name]Emma[/name], I think it depends on your area. I know one [name]Emma[/name], age 14. I do not know any little [name]Emma[/name]'s. I know tons of [name]Ella[/name]'s and [name]Ellie[/name]'s, along with [name]Claire[/name]'s and lilys and [name]Sophia[/name]'s…honestly, [name]Emma[/name] doesn’t feel popular to me. To me, [name]Emma[/name] is a lot like [name]Hannah[/name]…even though they have been popular, they are always beautiful, classic names to me. Follow you heart, don’t let fears of popularity keep you from using a favorite. I love [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] together, too.

I like [name]Margot[/name] more than [name]Emma[/name], but I prefer [name]Emma[/name] with [name]Molly[/name], because [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Molly[/name] is too matchy imo :confused:

[name]Margaux[/name] / [name]Margo[/name]/ Margeaux all the way!

I prefer [name]Emma[/name] :slight_smile: I do like having a longer [name]Em[/name] name though, since [name]Emma[/name] (my everyday nick) is so popular. [name]Emma[/name] to me feels rooted, clear, and also a bit sweet-grandmotherly. Sometimes I think my name gives me an edge- people assume I’m gentle, old-fashioned, tea-drinker. To me [name]Margot[/name] has a glamorousness that feels a bit mismatched with dear [name]Molly[/name]. Any interest in:
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name]
[name]Emlyn[/name] ("[name]EM[/name]-lin")
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

I prefer [name]Emma[/name], especially with a sister named [name]Molly[/name]. I don’t think popularity is a big deal, but if you’re bothered by it, I agree with the poster who said to make [name]Emma[/name] a double first name ([name]Emma[/name]-[name]Kate[/name] comes to mind) and the poster who suggested a longer first name with the nickname of [name]Emma[/name]. Names like [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Emmalyn[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], and [name]Emelina[/name] can all be shortened to [name]Emma[/name]. Also, if you like [name]Emma[/name], have you considered the alternative [name]Gemma[/name]?

I wouldn’t use [name]Margot[/name] in a sibset with [name]Molly[/name] because both are nicknames for [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Molly[/name] is more of a [name]Mary[/name] nickname, admittedly, but it’s not totally unknown to use it for [name]Margaret[/name]. The famous “Unsinkable [name]Molly[/name] [name]Brown[/name]” was actually named [name]Margaret[/name]. Plus, I think [name]Emma[/name] better matches [name]Molly[/name]'s sweet style.

That’s a good point about [name]Molly[/name] [name]Brown[/name]. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m not sure how bothered I am by it tho.

I love the sweetness and classic feel of [name]Emma[/name]. But I love the spunk and unusualness of [name]Margot[/name]. I just have this dreading feeling that I will name this baby [name]Emma[/name] and then when she goes to school, she’ll be one of half a dozen [name]Emma[/name]'s.

[name]Emma[/name] is SO overused. As a teacher I encourage you to use [name]Emmeline[/name], or [name]Margot[/name] so your child isn’t one of 4 [name]Emma[/name]'s.

Although I like [name]Margot[/name], I think [name]Molly[/name] sounds better with [name]Emma[/name]. Although it is popular, if its a name that you love you should use it :slight_smile:

I strongly dislike [name]Emma[/name], so [name]Margot[/name] was an easy choice. It’s not even popularity - I would prefer to see [name]Emily[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] (popular names) to [name]Emma[/name].

[name]Margaux[/name]/[name]Margot[/name] is very cute in a '20s flapper sort of way.

[name]Molly[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] are not an ideal pair but I just can’t give the nod to [name]Emma[/name]. Which is odd, because I do like [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name].

I dislike [name]Emma[/name], for the same reason you pointed out, it’s just so common, I went to school with so many Emmas. However, I love [name]Margot[/name], it’s beautiful and I think much more endearing than [name]Emma[/name]. I think [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] sound really cute together too!