emmaleigh or emily

I know that the spelling [name]Emmaleigh[/name] is kind of “tryndee” and that’s not what i’m going for… but i have a grandmother named [name]Emily[/name] and hubby’s grandmother’s middle name is [name]Leigh[/name]… and we thought it would be sweet to honor both of them by calling our (someday) daughter [name]Emmaleigh[/name]…
Everyone i’ve asked though says that it will provide an unneccesary hardship for our child because she’ll constantly have to be explaining how to spell her name because most people would just assume that it’s [name]Emily[/name].
in any case, we both really like [name]Emmaleigh[/name]… nn [name]Emma[/name]. and the name [name]Emily[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] just doesn’t work… it sounds repetitive to me.
thoughts?

You could go with [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], or you could make it a double first name as in [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] or [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name].

I think [name]Emmaleigh[/name] is just too much as an alternative spelling of [name]Emily[/name]. I’m not sure what else to suggest. I like the sentiment of the name. :slight_smile:

Unforunately, [name]Emmaleigh[/name] just looks awful, and when she goes out into the world, people won’t know why it’s spelled that way, just that it is.

If it’s really important to you to get both names in there, maybe you could use two middle names.
Then her name could be [name]Emily[/name] _____ [name]Leigh[/name], and the two [name]Lee[/name] sounds won’t be back to back the way they would be with just [name]Emily[/name] [name]Leigh[/name].

Some examples that I think sound nice, though it’s hard to tell without knowing your last name:

[name]Emily[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]*
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]

Why not just [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] with [name]Leigh[/name] as her middle name? That seems reasonable, especially since you are going to call her [name]Emma[/name] anyway.

I’d agree with this suggestion. [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] sounds just fine as fn and mn. [name]Emmaleigh[/name] looks awful [name]IMO[/name].

Yes. Yes, please… either [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] or just [name]Emily[/name].

If you’re looking for something a little different, maybe Am”lie?

[name]Emmaleigh[/name] just looks like a silly, unnecessary spelling of [name]Emily[/name]. BUT [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] Lastname is very lovely!

We know an “[name]Emmaleigh[/name]” and I’ve (along with other family members) always thought it so bizarre. She goes by [name]Emma[/name] - I don’t think there was any thought of ever calling her “[name]Emily[/name]” - its more like mom wanted two middle names so tagged one on to the first.

oh sorry… i forgot to mention… it’s tradition in my family to give the first daughter the mn [name]Kate[/name]… it goes back for several generations and i don’t want to break tradition…
so it would be
[name]Emmaleigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
or [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
or [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name]…
anyway… we’re not expecting right now… just exploring name options so that when we finally do get pregnant, we already have a good idea of what names we’d both like to use… just wanted to get a feel for what everyone thinks of [name]Emmaleigh[/name]…
suppose the general thought is “bleh”…
wonder how else i can honor them?
their names are [name]Emily[/name] [name]Suzanne[/name] and [name]Martha[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]… i dislike both [name]Suzanne[/name] and [name]Martha[/name]. Grandma [name]Emily[/name]'s maiden name is [name]Dorian[/name]… which i kind of like. i don’t know how well it would do as a first name… and i always think of the character [name]Dorian[/name] [name]Gray[/name]…
anyway… thoughts? opinions?

I vote for [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Emily[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Leigh[/name].
Best wishes!

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m definitely not a fan of [name]Emmaleigh[/name], so I’ll vote for [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name].

More ways to honor [name]Emily[/name]:

[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name] (has the ending)

[name]Suzanne[/name]:

[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]/[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Lily[/name] ([name]Susan[/name] means “[name]Lily[/name]”)
[name]Liliana[/name]

[name]Martha[/name]:

[name]Martina[/name]
[name]Marta[/name]

Other [name]Mar[/name] names:

[name]Martine[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margo[/name]

[name]Leigh[/name]:

[name]Amelie[/name] (could honor [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Leigh[/name])
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name] (nn [name]Lia[/name])
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I know an [name]Emmaleigh[/name] (sibling to [name]Kalah[/name], [name]Jeremie[/name], and Josscelyn) who HATES her name and now goes by ‘[name]Emmy[/name]’. Her name was always misspelled, especially during her school years and at summer camps, and it was a source of tears on several occasions. :frowning:

Soooo…my vote is for [name]Emily[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (nn [name]Emma[/name]). Not only is it the ‘right’ spelling, but I just think the combo is super cute.

I have to agree with the others. [name]Emmaleigh[/name] is just wrong. Sorry! So [name]Emily[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Emma[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name].

I have a cousin called [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name]. She’s three years old, and adorable, but, without exception, my entire family thinks the name is ridiculous. Her parents announced her name was [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Kate[/name], but then at her christening they pretty much did an about-face and re-named her, and then changed it legally. It was all very odd. I got told my aunt’s mother-in-law wanted a more “Anglicised” name, and orchestrated the change. Whatever the reason, every time her name is mentioned in her extended family it is greeted by eye-rolls. I don’t really know how much I personally would let the opinions of family and friends motivate my name choices (I sure as hell wouldn’t change a name because it was ‘too foreign’) but I do feel like they’ve caused a lot of unnecessary, if minor, problems for their daughter.

I dont quite understand why everyone hates emmaleigh. I dont think its horrible, its pronounced the same as [name]Emily[/name] so its not a horrible aweful name. [name]Just[/name] a diffrent spelling. I know people dontlike this but i mean there is [name]Everly[/name] and Everleigh. I personally prefere Everleigh, i dont understand anything bad about other then its considered trendy. Its not a bad spelling because it could be worse, im thinking ehmalee or something like that. Its a sweet sentimate and i like [name]Emmaleigh[/name] [name]Kate[/name]. And really the only thing i see being a problem would be spelling. But i wouldnt consider correcting a spelling a tramatic event of life that will scar her, it would be kind of annoying more then anything. I say its a very good reason to go with it, i say go for it!