Emmeline Pankhurt's Children

I wasn’t sure if this went here… But here we go!

If anyone doesn’t know who [name]Emmeline[/name] Pankhurst is, she was a women’s rights activist in the late 1800’s - early 1900’s. She fought for women’s rights in [name]Britain[/name] and was eventually quite successful in starting to get rights for women.

I was recently looking up her for a history project, when I came across her children’s names. Being a name addict I had to ask what everyone thought of them!
Personally, I quite like them.

[name]Christabel[/name] [name]Harriette[/name] Pankhurst
[name]Estelle[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] Pankhurst
[name]Francis[/name] [name]Henry[/name] Pankhurst
[name]Adela[/name] [name]Constantia[/name] Pankhurst

Bearing in mind it was the 1800’s, I think they are quite good choices of name! What does everyone else think?

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Emmeline[/name] is such a great character, and obviously (with her daughter, [name]Christabel[/name]) an important figure for women’s rights in [name]England[/name]. Her name, [name]Emmeline[/name], conveys such class and elegance, too! Did you happen to find HER middle name?

[name]Christabel[/name] [name]Harriette[/name] - I like the elegant flair that this name has, yet it still fits in with the vintage style (vintage was modern back then!). Personally, I would have used my favorite -belle name, [name]Arabella[/name], and a more streamlined, less frilly, version of [name]Harriette[/name] - [name]Harriet[/name]. [name]Arabella[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]…

[name]Estelle[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] - [name]Christabel[/name] and [name]Estelle[/name], to me, sound remarkably similar. That being said, I quite like [name]Estelle[/name], and I love [name]Estella[/name] even more (blame Dickens’ Great Expectations for that!). [name]Sylvia[/name] isn’t my favorite, but it is kind of interesting and unexpected. I would have changed the name to [name]Estella[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]…

[name]Francis[/name] [name]Henry[/name] is a name with such classic sophistication and elegance, I almost hate to say anything about it. It is so handsome and strong! However, if it were my child, I would have used [name]Henry[/name] [name]Francis[/name], because I love the name [name]Henry[/name] and don’t care as much for [name]Francis[/name], [name]Frank[/name], or [name]Frankie[/name]…

[name]Adela[/name] [name]Constantia[/name] is much more unusual in my opinion, yet it has a beautiful sound and flow! [name]Constantia[/name] would be a bit much for me to pull off, so I would switch the name to [name]Adela[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]…

Overall, I’m loving [name]Emmeline[/name]'s naming style! However, my Pankhurst children would be as follows:

[name]Arabella[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Francis[/name]
[name]Adela[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]

Thanks for posting! :slight_smile: