Emmett and cousin Emma?

I love the name [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], but my husband is leery of the name because my twin sister has a eight-year-old named [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. I know they have the same meaning, but since [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is far more popular than [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], I think they give off different vibes that don’t make them feel too matchy. Plus they will be 8.5 years apart in age! Am I off base? Are they too matchy? Is it just too weird? Help please!

I personally think they’re too similar. I suppose it depends how close your family is, and whether there are likely to be events and meetups where it might be an issue. But, for me, they’re too close.

I would avoid it. What about [name_u]Everett[/name_u] or [name_u]Everest[/name_u]

I think it would be weird if they were siblings, but with cousins it’s not a big deal. But then again, my dad has a brother, uncle, and cousin who are all named [name_m]John[/name_m] :smiley:

I think it’s perfectly fine. My cousin and I have agreed that we can both name are sons the exact same name if we still want to when the time comes. It will be confusing, but that is a pimple on the face of the moon compared to choosing the name you love. The confusion factor would be much smaller for [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] anyhow, since they will be far apart in age. If it still bothers you, you could always have a chat with your sister (and little [name_f]Emma[/name_f]) about it.

I agree with what a previous poster said, it would be too close for siblings, but for cousins, especially ones that are almost 9 years apart, it’s more than okay. In my extended family we have about 6 cousins all named [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], but there have been surprisingly few mix-ups regarding who’s who, due in part to age differences and to logically reading the context to figure out which [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] a story is about. With [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], not only will there be a significant age gap, the names themselves aren’t exactly the same, plus, they will be of different genders, so that will make things even more clear.
If you’re still worried about it, I would suggest you have a conversation with your sister, to see how she feels about it.

It’s definitely not an issue. The kids will be almost a decade apart in age, and the names are different enough that it shouldn’t be confusing. My cousin [name_f]Cora[/name_f] has a cousin named [name_f]Nora[/name_f] who is less than a year younger than her and I don’t think it’s been a big deal.

I have two cousins named [name_f]Krista[/name_f] and [name_f]Trista[/name_f] who are pretty close in age. It was never really a problem.
I think it should be fine! [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] are too close for siblings, but not for cousins. Especially ones who will be far apart in age.
I agree with a pp that if itd make you feel better, you could talk to your sister about it!

Personally, I really like [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]. I think its handsome and sweet. I think you should use the name you love.

(If you’re still hesitant, I second the suggestion of [name_u]Everett[/name_u]!)

I don’t think it is an issue. I am a [name_f]Kate[/name_f] who has a cousin named [name_m]Pate[/name_m]. It was never an issue as the names are not identical and there is an age gap. If you are worried, I recommend checking in with [name_f]Emma[/name_f]'s mom.

Personally I think its fine. If they were siblings it would be too much but there’s a degree of separation with cousins.

I have 2 cousins named [name_m]Jason[/name_m] on my mothers side of the family 6 months apart. Its kind of a pain but they just call them [name_m]Jason[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] (or JD) and [name_m]Jason[/name_m] [name_u]Kyle[/name_u] when they are together to differentiate them. I think cousins [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] won’t be a problem.

I have a nephew named [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], who is one and half now and a niece named [name_f]Emme[/name_f] who’s almost 9 months old. They’re so close in age, and the names sound similar but they’re different genders so we never confuse them. I also have two cousins growing up named [name_u]Michael[/name_u], age gap was pretty big, like 8-9 or more years apart, and we always called the older one [name_u]Michael[/name_u], never mike. The younger one went by [name_m]Mikey[/name_m], because his father is [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. But now he goes by [name_m]Mike[/name_m] since he’s older.

i mean, they’re just cousins. Not siblings in which case i would advise no. Cousins should be fine

They’re cousins, not siblings. I think it’s okay to share the same or a similar name amongst relatives. What about [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]?