Emmett

What are your thoughts on [name]Emmett[/name]?

I usually tend to lean towards ancient/historic names (i.e. [name]Caius[/name]), but have also a small few more modern seeming names in the mix of back-up possibilities, and those seem to be the one’s my parents (especially my mom) are particularly fond of. Some of them I have liked at various stages but have began to loose their luster over some time (i.e. [name]Conrad[/name]), but [name]Emmett[/name] is one that seems to be growing on me a bit. I like it, and it is seems to be a favorite option among some other family members too. I don’t know whether I actually want to keep it in the back-up possibility mix or not, but some thoughts and impressions on this name may help in the reflection process. Thanks in advance!

According to Nameberry, it looks like [name]Emmett[/name] has a Twilight connection, which I’m not personally fond of. But if you like Twilight, or if pop culture associations don’t bother you, then I see no reason why this should affect your opinion of the name. Outside of Twilight, I actually do really like the name [name]Emmett[/name] the more I think about it. You called [name]Emmett[/name] a “more modern name,” but the name database seems to indicate that it actually has quite a long history, and has been in the U.S. top 1,000 since at least 1880. To me it sounds more antique than modern, which is a quality I love. While it sounds much more usable than [name]Kermit[/name], it sounds to me like a name that would have been popular in the same era when [name]Kermit[/name] was on the charts (first half of the 1900s).

I really like it. [name]Emmett[/name] in Twilight is not the most prominent of characters, though you might get a few people who ask, “Oh, like Twilight?” Mostly, I think it’s a great vintage name. There was a kid at my high school named [name]Emmett[/name] and it really worked for him.

[name]Emmett[/name] is one of my favorite names! It means “entire”. I think it sounds regal, yet playful.

Other names you might like:

[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Augustus[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Claude[/name]
[name]Cornelius[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]
[name]Horatio[/name]
[name]Ignatius[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Magnus[/name]
[name]Marcellus[/name]
[name]Marius[/name]
[name]Prosper[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Terrence[/name]
[name]Virgil[/name]

Sorry that I got a little carried away!

Best of luck!

I love [name]Emmett[/name]. It would be on my list if it weren’t so close to my own name. It’s handsome, friendly, and down-to-earth. Something about the name [name]Emmett[/name] feels so warm and cuddly to me.

[name]Emmett[/name] is at the top of my boys list right now. I love the name. I think it’s fresh, strong and has classic charm.

I love [name]Emmett[/name]! It’s taken me a few years to come around to it–some of the pop culture associations (not just Twilight–actually Twilight was the least of my concerns, haha) had deterred me for a while–but I genuinely love it now, and would love to see one of my friends or family members use it! I would use it myself, but I’m too tied to [name]Everett[/name] and couldn’t bear to part with it. :slight_smile: But I really love [name]Emmett[/name], too.

I can’t get over the twilight connection, which definitely affects my opinion. That being said I’m not very fond.

Alzora- I didn’t realize it had a Twilight connection, but it seems to me that that’ll be the kind of association that fades away after several years, so it doesn’t bother me much. Yeah, and [name]Emmett[/name] is definitely not a ‘modern name’ as in the last few decades, but compared to many of my other favorites (which are very ancient Persian/Greek/Latin names that have been around for a couple thousand years) it has a more modern (as in become common with the past couple of hundred years, and has been around for the past few generations) feel.

[name]Sparrow[/name]- good to know that [name]Emmett[/name] is not a prominent character in Twilight. Makes that association have even less meaning in my mind.

[name]Corinne[/name]- thanks for the awesome list! A bunch of those names have actually graced out list at various stages of this process already: [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Augustus[/name], [name]Cassius[/name] (top 10 in our list), [name]Claude[/name]/[name]Claudius[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name], [name]Julian[/name] (my mom’s personal favorite) have all been reflected on quite deeply. A bunch of the other ones are almost our style. Appreciate the list. Always helpful to get more suggestions.

And thanks for all the opinions everyone!

I love [name]Emmett[/name]. I’m an [name]Emma[/name], and I like the balance and strength of my name, but I think I’d almost rather be an [name]Emmett[/name] (though it’s clearly a man’s name!) Those Ts on the end really give it a beautiful sense of closure and groundedness. I know an Irish family with this surname- cool, eccentric clan - so that’s my association, not Twilight.