Emrys for a girl?

I recently developed a crush on the name [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] with the nickname [name_f]Emme[/name_f] or [name_f]Emmi[/name_f], but I’m not sure if it work as it is traditionally a boys name, any thoughts?

2 Likes

I really am not a fan of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] for a girl honestly leave this one for the boys it’s such a lovely traditional Welsh boys name with so much ancient history attached. I’m really not a fan of boy names like [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] being used for girls especially where there are a lot of names you can use to get the desired [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] nickname.

15 Likes

It’s an amazing name. But I could never see it on a girl, it sounds very strong and masculine to me.
There are lots of other awesome names with the NN [name_f]Emmie[/name_f]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find a great one!
Xx

1 Like

it definitely sounds like it could be a girl’s name, but it just isn’t there for me. since i feel like i’ve seen it around here a lot for boys, it’s very masculine to me. if i saw the name emrys on, say, a class list, it wouldn’t even cross my mind that the child might be a girl.

2 Likes

i think that it has the potential to be used for a girl, but it definitely has much more usage as a masculine name and i’d be surprised to meet a girl named emrys.

1 Like

It makes a lot more sense on a boy to me, especially because it makes me think of Merlin, who was most definitely not a girl :laughing:

2 Likes

I had the same experience! I discovered the name and LOVED it for a girl.
But, that is with the caveat that I know nobody with that name in real life, hadn’t heard of anyone real or fictional with that name, and only just found out about it on nameberry (so I never automatically associated it with boys/ men previously.)
When I read it, I was actually surprised to find out it was “boy’s name” in the first place.

Based on the other comments on this thread though, which indicate a very widespread, strong sense of it being a masculine name, I now don’t think I would ever use it for a girl.

2 Likes

I much prefer it on a boy. Although I’m not a big fan of traditionally male names becoming female names. It’s the Welsh form of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. With it being a name of the legendary [name_u]Merlin[/name_u], I really just can’t see it on a girl.

2 Likes

I’d leave it to the boys as well. Especially since you seem to mainly want the [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] nn, there’s so many other similar choices that are established for girls already. I completely understand the appeal, but I think it’s lovely as a masculine name, and there’s no need to crossover for girls. :heartpulse:

1 Like

Ehhh no thanks. I don’t really like it. It’s so cool and interesting for a boy.

2 Likes

Sure! Why not! I don’t know a single [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], so I wouldn’t bat an eye if I met a girl with the name.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] for any gender!! :grin:

2 Likes

I far far prefer it for a boy and would never entertain using it on a girl. There are lots of ways to get [name_f]Emmi[/name_f] as a nickname, but I don’t think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is one.

1 Like

Agreed with a pp, [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is a boys name with so much history attached, that I’d use a different [name_f]Em[/name_f]- name for a girl instead.

I don’t personally have issues with some bnog, but I hesitate when it’s a traditional name from another culture. I’ve specifically seen some people be annoyed/upset by non Welsh people using Welsh boys names on girls, so I’d stay away from crossing that line.

2 Likes

It works but after losing [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_u]Avery[/name_u] to the girls I really dont want to see [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] go too :pensive:

4 Likes

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is type cast in my mind as a boys name though nicknames [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] / [name_f]Emme[/name_f] / [name_f]Emmi[/name_f] would potentially be cute for it if you got over the preconceived gender of the name.

What about [name_u]Emery[/name_u], [name_u]Emory[/name_u], [name_f]Emerence[/name_f], [name_f]Emri[/name_f], [name_u]Emry[/name_u], [name_f]Elery[/name_f], [name_u]Ellery[/name_u], [name_u]Ellerby[/name_u], [name_f]Ensley[/name_f], [name_u]Emry[/name_u], or [name_f]Elerie[/name_f] / [name_f]Eleri[/name_f]?
All have comparable sounds and most have the same [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] nickname potential.

1 Like

When I first heard the name [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] I thought it was a girls name. I didn’t learn it was a boys name until much later and honestly I still prefer it for a girl.

2 Likes

I thought this was a name for girls actually! I think it works out well!

2 Likes