England & Wales’s Hidden Gems: Part One (1904-1924)

I was watching a television show the other day and happened to notice on the credits that one of babies who was used in the show was called [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]! There were only 9 babies named [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] last year in [name_u]England[/name_u] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] and it got me thinking. More and more we are seeing these beautiful, hidden gems of names being used but often overlook wanting to use them ourselves because we simply think that they aren’t yet ready to have their time again and are scared of what people might think. So, with my new found obsession for the name [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], I comprised four sections made up of the Top 100 names of years gone by (1904-1924, 1934-1944, 1954-1964 & 1974-1994). Then I separated all of the names that fell under my sections into two categories. Those that are still within the current Top 500, and those that fall below the current Top 500 or did not rank at all.

Now, here is my question for you berries. [name_f]Imagine[/name_f] we were living in an ideal world. No one judges your name choices. There are no such labels as “old lady,” “too 70s” or “dad” names and children called [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f] and [name_m]Keith[/name_m] are just as current as children called [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. I am totally aware that these names will not be to everyone’s taste but for those who feel they want to, indulge me for a minute. Using the hidden gems below, what would you name a son and a daughter? [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to explain your reasoning if you’d like to and I am so excited to hear all of your choices :cherry_blossom:

Below the Top 500: 1904-1924 (Boys)

[name_m]Alec[/name_m], [name_m]Allan[/name_m], [name_m]Arnold[/name_m]
[name_u]Basil[/name_u], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], [name_m]Bertram[/name_m], [name_m]Brian[/name_m]
[name_u]Cecil[/name_u], [name_u]Clarence[/name_u], [name_u]Claude[/name_u], [name_u]Clifford[/name_u], [name_m]Colin[/name_m], [name_m]Cyril[/name_m]
[name_m]Derek[/name_m], [name_m]Derrick[/name_m], [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Fred[/name_m]
[name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m], [name_m]Gerald[/name_m], [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_m]Gordon[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Harold[/name_m], [name_m]Herbert[/name_m], [name_m]Horace[/name_m], [name_u]Howard[/name_u], [name_m]Hubert[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m], [name_m]Ivor[/name_m]
[name_m]Keith[/name_m], [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_u]Leslie[/name_u], [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_u]Maurice[/name_u], [name_m]Morris[/name_m]
[name_m]Norman[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_m]Ronald[/name_m], [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m], [name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_m]Terence[/name_m], [name_m]Tom[/name_m], [name_m]Trevor[/name_m]

Below the Top 500: 1904-1924 (Girls)

[name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_f]Bertha[/name_f], [name_f]Beryl[/name_f], [name_f]Bessie[/name_f], [name_f]Blanche[/name_f], [name_f]Brenda[/name_f], [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f]
[name_f]Dora[/name_f], [name_f]Doreen[/name_f], [name_f]Doris[/name_f]
[name_f]Edna[/name_f], [name_f]Eileen[/name_f], [name_f]Enid[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Fanny[/name_f], [name_f]Freda[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Janet[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_u]Joyce[/name_u], [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilian[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Margery[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f], [name_f]Maureen[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Monica[/name_f], [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]
[name_f]Pamela[/name_f], [name_f]Patricia[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f], [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Rosina[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sheila[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Thelma[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

There will be four parts to this series, so for those of you who prefer less “vintage” and more “retro,” hang tight, I thoroughly intend to cater to all!

6 Likes

It’s fun how some of these are popular names in my generation where I live like [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Eileen[/name_f], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] and [name_m]Tom[/name_m].

I would go for [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] and [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] kids were born in 1985, 1990, and 1991 and they are [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f], and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Caleb[/name_m].

The current names from your list that I would use are:

[name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_f]Alys[/name_f] or [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Angharad[/name_f]
[name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]Eben[/name_m] or [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]

1 Like

For a girl I would use:

Anne, Brenda, Blanche, Pauline, Beryl, Bridget, Caroline, Edna, Enid, Ethel, Gladys, Helen, Gwendoline, Irene, Janet, Marie, Marjorie, Mavis, May, Millicent, Monica, Muriel, Pauline, Rita, Rosina, Ruth, Sheila, Sybil, Kate, Gertrude, Christine

With a different spelling:
Berta, Cristina, Eilyn, Frida, Caitlin, Liliane, Luisa, Silvia.

Maybe Vera!

Naming ideas for myself:

Frida Rosina :orange_heart:
Helen Gwendoline
Gladys Enid
Irene Cristina :orange_heart:
Blanche Pauline
Anne Caroline
Sybil Helen

In orange the names that would kinda be safe here

2 Likes

This was an interesting post. I look forward to many others like this one. :smile:

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] or Maud-Kate for girls and [name_u]Cecil[/name_u] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Horace[/name_m] for boys. I might switch the middles for boys so they become [name_u]Cecil[/name_u] [name_m]Horace[/name_m] and [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u].

1 Like

I think I’d have a [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] and [name_f]Freda[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] :tulip:

3 Likes

i love when you do these posts @EleanorVintage :white_heart:

my kiddos would be…

sylvia marjorie & desmond philip :fairy:t2:

though i could name a whole baseball team of children with these lovely choices!

2 Likes

[name_m]Alec[/name_m] [name_m]Herbert[/name_m] (love the sounds and a double literary reference!) or maybe [name_u]Clarence[/name_u] [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] (with the nn [name_u]Clancy[/name_u] :heart_eyes:)

[name_f]Dora[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (another double literary ref and I love Dora!) [name_u]Or[/name_u] perhaps [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] [name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f]

2 Likes

Edmund & Blanche would be my favourites!

Other honourable mentions to Basil, Cyril, Percival, Lionel, June, Lilian & Mavis!

2 Likes

[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]

To be fair, [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] has 100% made a comeback in Finland (it’s in the top 50), so that’s a very safe choice for me. [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] is more old man cool and brave.

1 Like

Right now, I’d choose [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_m]Percival[/name_m] & [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Margery[/name_f].

1 Like

I always find things like this interesting, thank you for doing them!

I think I’d have [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] “Lawrie” and [name_f]Rosina[/name_f] [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] [name_f]Doreen[/name_f] “Rose” (all the middles happen to be honour names for me!)

1 Like

In order of preference…
[name_m]Alec[/name_m] [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Rosina[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

I think [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] is lovely, and it feels so handsome and gentle!

1 Like

love this!!

I would call a boy [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] and a girl [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] :two_hearts:

1 Like

So difficult because there are so many good options! But I think today, it’d be [name_m]Morris[/name_m] [name_u]Cecil[/name_u] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Margery[/name_f] (middles happen to be family names, and all four are names high on my list)

1 Like

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] & [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_u]Basil[/name_u] !

3 Likes

[name_f]Beryl[/name_f] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]! I’ve loved those names for quite awhile. Like quite a few of the boys’ names, not so much the girls. [name_m]Percival[/name_m] is another great one. Also, [name_u]Cecil[/name_u], [name_m]Cyril[/name_m], [name_u]Claude[/name_u] and [name_m]Bertram[/name_m].

1 Like

Gilbert Edmund Lawrence and Bridget Caroline

1 Like

I’d go with [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Rosina[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] & [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Percival[/name_m] [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] as they’re all names from my long list :sunny:

1 Like

I’d have to go with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_m]Graham[/name_m] and [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u], no clue why, just would.

1 Like