English name for a Chinese

other than [name]Leo[/name], I’ve just thought another one, which is [name]Ronald[/name].

[name]Ronald[/name] is very dated/old-fashioned. [name]Edward[/name], [name]Andrew[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] would be better choices.

lyndsayjenness - I have never heard of someone named [name]George[/name] with the nickname [name]Geo[/name]. [name]How[/name] often have you heard this?

I always thought nicknames were shorter and/or easier to say than the full name (why else have them?) and [name]Geo[/name] is neither (although I like it much better).

moxielove- I haven’t actually heard [name]Geo[/name] used as a nickname for [name]George[/name], but I think it’s certainly plausible. [name]Geo[/name] are the first three letters of [name]George[/name], after all! I’ve always thought of [name]Geo[/name] as a nickname for [name]Geoffrey[/name], but I don’t like [name]Geoffrey[/name], and I love [name]George[/name]. And my husband hates [name]George[/name] but loves [name]Leo[/name], so I thought [name]George[/name] with the nickname [name]Geo[/name] would be a good compromise, but he doesn’t like it. Anyway, I think [name]Geo[/name] is a pretty cool name, and very underused. You’d think it’d be more popular, with O names being all the rage. Bah, sorry to make a short answer so long!

[name]Ronald[/name] is very dated/old-fashioned. [name]Edward[/name], [name]Andrew[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] would be better choices.[/quote]

then what about [name]Raphael[/name]?

I think [name]Raphael[/name] is fantastic! I [name]LOVE[/name] it! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Raphael[/name] and your nn could be [name]Rafe[/name]. So dashing!

These are really great and thoughtful replies – thanks everyone. I totally agree with [name]Susan[/name] that you SHOULD NOT use [name]Charles[/name], as any native English-speaker will think the name [name]Charles[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Chan[/name] is a joke. [name]Leo[/name] is a fantastic idea, and of course [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Andrew[/name] are great too. I would agree that you should stay away from names like [name]Ronald[/name] or [name]Howard[/name] that are very dated. As you have this great opportunity to choose your own name, you should make sure it’s a great one! Please let us know what you decide.

There once was a Chinese girl with the English name [name]Elaine[/name] in my class. Her chinese name is Hoang.

Thank you, and [name]Elaine[/name] is also my sister’s name. But I am a man, aged 18. Why don’t you give some comment about the previous replies of this topic? I’m always waiting for yours valuable comment.

[name]Andrew[/name] sounds great with your last name.

[name]Thomas[/name] is another good option and is a name that can be pronounced easily in other European languages too (French, [name]German[/name], Spanish, Italian, etc.).

A warm thanks for everyone for their valuable sharings first :slight_smile:
So from previous replies, there are some suggestions.
[name]Edward[/name], I do admit this is a strong yet great name, but I think it is a litte bit not “pronunciationally-friendly”. The two Ds in the name make me feel that it is not fluently pronunced (especially the [name]ED[/name] sound at the first syllable).
[name]Andrew[/name], I think this name is more gentle than [name]Edward[/name] in pronunciation, it’s good. But I think it seems not suitable for me. Sorry, undescribable feeling. Give me more time on it.
This is my opinions, please comment on them.
And by the way, what do you think about [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name]? Or do you have other suggestions?

I think [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name] are fantastic options! :slight_smile: You need to choose the name that feels comfortable to you; there’s no need to explain your reasoning. If it doesn’t feel right to you, it’s not right. :slight_smile: Picking the perfect name isn’t always easy, but I know you’ll find the right one for you.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name]. [name]Leo[/name] is really easy to pronounce. Other names that are stylish and easy to pronounce:
[name]Andrew[/name] nn [name]Andy[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Brian[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Devon[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] you find a name that you love. Keep asking us for help until you’re happy. We are more than willing to help you.

I am Chinese, my birth name comtained J-i-a, so I rearranged it to my American name [name]Janice[/name] :O)

Try rearranging your birth name to come up with something creative, that way you will keep your heritage with you.

I am Chinese, my birth name contained J-i-a, so I rearranged it to my American name [name]Janice[/name] :O)

Try rearranging your birth name to come up with something creative, that way you will keep your heritage with you.

Any suggestion for me using your formula?
I’m [name]Chan[/name] [name]Chi[/name] Ho.