Enid

See the results of this poll: Do you think the name Enid could come back into fashion?

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 28 (65%)
  • Maybe: 4 (9%)
  • No: 11 (26%)

I voted yes. I think [name]Enid[/name] is adorable, and is a nice name which the vintage resurgence has yet to get to (in my experience) - it’s no more unexpected now than [name]Martha[/name], and I’ve heard of two little Marthas in the last year. I especially love it in the middle, and the combination [name]Cecelia[/name] [name]Enid[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is just perfect - three beautiful names which work perfectly together. I personally pronounce it ee-nid (I am British, and have never heard it pronounced another way), but you don’t much have to worry about pronunciation issues in the middle. I love the [name]Enid[/name] Blyton connection.

You may also like [name]Edith[/name] (I think the nn [name]Edie[/name] is just adorable) and [name]Erin[/name].

Good luck!

Thanks! I like [name]Martha[/name] too, but I like [name]Margaret[/name] more. I think of [name]Enid[/name] or [name]Edith[/name] as old-fashioned alternatives to [name]Eden[/name]. [name]Erin[/name] is nice, but most [name]Erin[/name]'s in the U.S. are between twenty and and thirty, so the name’s past its prime. [name]Edith[/name] is nice too, but I just like [name]Enid[/name] more.

I don’t know what’s so wrong with it, I think it’s beautiful.

(-’:

I love the name [name]Enid[/name]! The name combo you are considering is beautiful!

Thanks for commenting! I think some of the reason [name]Enid[/name] is disliked is because, in an age of Isabellas and Emmas, [name]Enid[/name] has lots of hard consonants. But when you think about it, it is really quite nice. the Arthurian story Geriant and [name]Enid[/name] was my introduction to the name, so I also have an image of a nobly-born but impoverished princess, which is a better image than most people have. – [name]Christy[/name] ([name]Margaret[/name])

I like it too. When I first heard it, I would never have thought it was a nice name, but I came around eventually. Thanks!

I like [name]Enid[/name]. You know, if you would’ve asked me a year ago, I probably would have said, “EEW!” Now, a lot of these “clunky”, “old lady” names are really growing on me! [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Enid[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is gorgeous!

:slight_smile:

That’s how names “old lady” names are for me sometimes. I used to think [name]Theodora[/name] was a clunky, dorky name, but now I think it’s cool and regal. [name]Enid[/name] is the epitome of this to me. Thanks for commenting! – [name]Christy[/name] ([name]Margaret[/name])

I think of [name]Enid[/name] Blyton at once, that’s a good thing to think of when you hear a name. [name]Way[/name] better than, say [name]Paris[/name] ([name]Hilton[/name]).
I’d never have though of pronouncing it Ee-nid, Eh-nid seems much more organic.
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Enid[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] combines 3 very beautiful names. However when I say it out loud over and over again(to try it out) it comes out as [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Anette[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] after a while.
Any way you look at it: it’s a name that I would be glad to have myself and that’s a good sign ;D

I think [name]Enid[/name] is definetley ready for a major comeback!

I live in the UK, and have a friend whose little sister is named [name]Enid[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] “[name]Ellie[/name]”. She is almost 3 years old now, has cascasing brown curls and is adorable. She loves her name and tells everyone she meets.

i knew an [name]Enid[/name] in college… she was a great person, but the name never grew on me for some reason. also was friends with a [name]Marjorie[/name] and her name never grew on me either. I don’t know why… just didn’t

Fo’ sure. I have an [name]Eden[/name] and wish so badly I’d gone with [name]Enid[/name] like I’d wanted. My husband thought it was an old lady name, but I disagree. It is hip and sweet.

When I was about twelve, I read a book with a character named [name]Enid[/name]. I was utterly charmed by the name and felt I’d found a rare treasure to tuck away and use for a future daughter. I made a list of names for my future children and included it. The years went by. I never heard the name again, and I forgot about it. I have only one daughter. The name [name]Enid[/name] is a reminder that I need at least 3-4 more daughters to use the girl names I most love. I would be more inclined to use [name]Enid[/name] as a middle name.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the name [name]Enid[/name] in the [name]California[/name] Birth Index (1905-1995). The name is listed 958 times (as first or middle name). There are 5 Enids born in the year 1975, 13 in the year 1985 and 20 in the year 1995.

A few of the combinations include:

[name]Enid[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (1928 and 1988)
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Christine[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Emily[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name]

[name]Eva[/name] [name]Enid[/name]
[name]April[/name] [name]Enid[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Enid[/name] (1992)
[name]Roxanna[/name] [name]Enid[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name] [name]Enid[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Enid[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Enid[/name]

[name]Enid[/name] just makes me think of the Sweet [name]Valley[/name] character. I don’t HATE it though. It could be cute.

I have to chime in because [name]Enid[/name] is high on my list of favourite names!

I do actually pronounce is EH-nid mroe often than not beacuse I’m a Welsh speaker and it is a word in the Welsh language meaning soul or spirit which is pronounce EH-nid. I know if I ever used it though my family (which is mostly exclusively English speakers) and my partners family (who all only speak English) would all pronounce it Ee-nid but I like that too so I could live with it!

By the way I’m also British, and think 99% of British people would say it EE-nid.

But yes it’s a very beautiful name and it’s the meaning that mostly draws me to it, as well as the fact it honours my heritage. I think your combo is lovely :slight_smile: