Enola?

Ok here me out. I know it’s the name of a new film. But I just adore the name!! I feel like it just has this really beautiful old timely feel too it. It is both new, exciting and unique but also peculiarly traditional. I feel like it would sound lovely with names like [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] or [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. I don’t know. I just feel like it’s beautiful, would love ti hear your thoughts! And if you can suggest any middle names!

1 Like

I think it’s pretty and charming! I appreciate how spunky it is without being too tryhard. [name_f]My[/name_f] only thing is that I don’t like how it’s “alone” backwards, but I don’t think anyone would notice/care.

Yeah, that is my only holdup about it to. I wouldn’t want someone to feel like they weren’t wanted you know. I think it would need to be something that was addressed. I’m not sure, anyway!

1 Like

It has a pretty sound and whimsical feel, but the [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] association is too strong for me and it might be triggering for some people.

1 Like

I’ve just googled that, you’re right, thank you. That’s not an association you want with anyone, let alone a child. It’s not something that anyone deserves to be reminded of.

2 Likes

For me it’s too reminiscent of the [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] and Ebola. I would suggest [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Annora[/name_f] as alternatives.

2 Likes

It reminds me too much of Granola and Ebola. I do like [name_f]Finola[/name_f] (Fuh-new-la) though.

1 Like

I don’t know about the new movie, but to me [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] is the name of the plane that dropped the atom bomb (great OMD song about it). So it is a no for me, but otherwise it is a cool name.

It reminds me a bit much of the [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] but it does have a very appealing sound

1 Like

Enola [name_u]Gay[/name_u] is my first thought.

Enola is a guilty pleasure name of mine! I think the new movie [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] may have softened the association to [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u], but I think that might depend on where you live. Where I live, in schools, we aren’t taught anything about [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u], because of our nuclear-free policies and such. Not sure how heavy the association is elsewhere, though.

1 Like

Some bad associations, so I don’t think it would be usable on a real person. But I loved [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m], and I don’t mind that it’s “alone” spelled backwards, because wouldn’t that mean it’s the opposite of alone? (Someone made this argument for [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f], which was really funny to me).

1 Like

I do really think of [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] first, then how it’s Alone backwards :confused: It has a pretty sound, but I don’t think it’s easy to wear when those associations are so strong, and negative.

Totally off topic but I’m curious. How does your school cover the end of WWII then? Or the Cold War?

1 Like

TBH, they don’t. I live in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand if you’re curious.

Everything I know about the Cold War and the end of WWII I’ve done in my own time. All we’ve covered in schools is the Holocaust and [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand’s involvement.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t remember loads but it was brief and not really covered in a lot of depth unless of chose to do A-Level [name_m]History[/name_m] etc

When I first heard of the movie, I actually thought it was a beautiful name. Learning that it was “alone” spelled backwards completely struck from my list, but just not-using-irl, it’s actually really pretty. :heart_eyes:

I do think, though, with the movie being out and it being stated in the movie that it’s “alone” spelled backwards, the connection would be used as a means of bullying much more often than if the movie hadn’t pointed it out to us all. So, unfortunately, I think it’s unusable. :confused:

I think its usability will be determined in the next few years depending on whether Netflix will be ordering more [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] movies or not. If they do, I think that will be the main association people have (this may also be highly dependent on where you live, though) and the name may actually become somewhat popular ([name_f]Nola[/name_f] has).
I think the sound is lovely and I like the many nickname options!

1 Like

I agree with the previous posters.
Maybe you might like [name_f]Elora[/name_f] instead?

I 100% agree, you basically said my opinion

1 Like