Éowyn?

How does Éowyn strike you as a name?

I love how it sounds and spells. I’m not sure if it would come off as uniquely beautiful or crazy nerdy.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you know the reference off the top of your head?

I’m trying to gauge whether the general public will know Éowyn right away or just think it sounds vaguely familiar.

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I personally cannot detach the name from the association, but I am kind of a huge fan, so… There may be people out there who don’t know the reference, even though they’re likely few and far between.

That said, Éowyn is such a beautiful name! Yes, the association is strong, but I don’t see it as a negative. Besides, people have been naming their daughters [name_f]Leia[/name_f] and [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f] without caring about the fact that there is one thing everyone will think of, whether they’ve seen the thing or not.

In the end, it’s all up to whether the inevitable comments would bother you. If the reason you would use the name is because you’re a fan and love the character, then I doubt hearing “Like from [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings?” every time someone hears it would be that big of an issue. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I do think about [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] from LoTR too, but then again I’m also a huge fan and she’s actually my favourite character! [name_f]Imo[/name_f], she’s a very positive association to have to a name. I have [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] somewhere on my list too (though as a middle), so I obviously love this name.

I don’t think people who aren’t LoTR fans will think of the character immediately though. It has a beautiful sound and it is unique, though familiar enough due to the similarity to other more popular names with -wyn or -wen endings.

[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is pretty! It’s earthy and warm. I’ve actually come across two Eowyns so it is being used. I’ve never read LotR and I’ve only watched fragments of the films but I still know the name is from there. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, it doesn’t stirke me as a made up fantasy name

Éowyn is lovely! I know the reference but only because others have mentioned it on this website — I’ve never actually seen the movies or read any of the books, and if you asked me to name characters I would not be able to come up with Éowyn. (I only know of [name_m]Gandalf[/name_m], [name_m]Frodo[/name_m], and [name_m]Bilbo[/name_m] Baggins off the top of my head, lol)

I do think many people will recognize it but I wouldn’t say it’s an obvious reference like [name_m]Anakin[/name_m] or [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] would be. It reminds me of names like [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] rather than a specific character.

I guess I’m not really a LOTR fan - the reference did not occur to me til I looked at other comments, since it’s been so long since the movies came out. I actually first thought of an author I love, [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] [name_f]Ivey[/name_f]. I just think it has an earthy, adventurous, soft but not overly feminine sound, like it manages to hit the sweet spot between delicate but strong. I love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never read the books or watched the movies, but still know [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is from LOTR.

I’m a huge LoTR fan so really, not a good reference point because I know it in an instance and I adore her character.

That being said, the movies came out 20 years ago now, so less in the general discourse other than those who truly love the series. I say this because, as others alluded to, [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f], although a major player in the story, is not really the most well known character. She’s mostly relegated to side status until her big moment, and even then, most people would only know the main fellowship character names if any. And if they are going to remember any women it will likelier be [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] first, then maybe [name_f]Galadriel[/name_f] second.

The most likely association people would have who are not as big fans of LoTR is that it is a Welsh related name. It is beautiful, and I personally considered it for my girl, but ultimately I didn’t want my nerdiness to be on display like that despite knowing that there would be a large population who wouldn’t know. It is up to you and your sensitivities. If you would be bothered that people would recognize that your daughter is named after a literary heroine and that is the only association for that name, then you should probably steer clear. However, as a character and someone to be named after, [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is truly a lovely option for her kind, strong, fierce heroism.

It sounds very lord of the rings even if youre not even familiar with the character. I wouldnt use it but then again Im sick of that series :joy:

Huge LOTR fan here, so there’s an instant & unmistakeable association for me! Having said that, it’s definitely a positive one! :slight_smile:

I know [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is from LoTR only because of NB haha. Still beautiful nonetheless though.