Esca: tell me what you think!

Ooh, I love it! It feels fresh and interesting but very approachable, and I really like the balance between softer and spikier sounds. I can definitely see it with your sibset. It would bother me a little that it looks similar to [name_f]Emma[/name_f], but probably not a dealbreaker!

2 Likes

I think I’m with you. I’m Mummy 99% of the time now anyway :roll_eyes: :grin:

1 Like

I love [name_u]Esca[/name_u]. It’s right up my alley. Thank you, @katinka, for bringing up this name. I don’t think it’s too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f] at all. [name_u]Esca[/name_u] would fit in perfectly with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f].

Eska is cute as well, @choupette.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I feel about it! Neutral I guess? One thing I wouldn’t love is that [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] also have the ‘k’/‘c’ sound, so [name_f]Juno[/name_f] would the odd one out. I like [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] much more!

1 Like

[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] would definitely be the one if we ever had a second boy :heart_eyes: I just love finding new names and [name_u]Esca[/name_u] feels right up my alley with that -a ending!

2 Likes

Esca was brand new to me till this thread–a new name, yay! I wasn’t particularly drawn to it at first glance, but I’m warming up, maybe especially since it’s Gaelic :grin:
As soon as I saw it probably means “water,” I thought of “pisces,” with its shared SC. Different sounds, of course.
I too would likely have thought girl if I’d seen it without context, but [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is male. No big deal.
Your set is eclectic, short and sweet enough to make [name_u]Esca[/name_u] a good fit. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Esca[/name_u] are close enough to bother me a bit on siblings, but not on a mother and son.

1 Like

I love it because I love names that start with either the Es or Ez sound. I originally thought girl, but I can definitely see it on a boy. The only weird association I have is qu est que tu fais… For a boy, I would pronounce it more Ezka, just because I love the name Ezzie for a boy.

1 Like

In the tv show [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of [name_f]Korra[/name_f] there are twins named [name_f]Eska[/name_f] and Desna and [name_u]Esca[/name_u] immediately made me think of them.

Eska’s character in the show is kind of- intense. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I know this is 100% a me thing but also the fact that some of your children have prominent Ks in their names ([name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f]) and then Esca shares that sound but with a letter C, it is somewhat visually off to me. Like I said I know that’s just my own weird nitpickiness though. Sound wise I think it fits in with your other children’s names. And while there is some similarity I don’t think it’s too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. That s-c blend is a very distinct sound.

1 Like

Thanks @brittanyanitarose, I appreciate your input! Yes, I love that “ska” sound :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great sound, great vibe, but sounds like a girl to me.

1 Like

Sounds like word suffix, like -ine, -ette, -ora, -enza, etc. Like Francesca and Romesca. Actually, I prefer Enza to it.

Could be misheard as “et cetera”?
Emma and Esca sound quite close, but I wouldn’t worry about that. As an Emma, how often did you hear your name come in a pairing with your mom’s name? For me, the answer is not often or almost never.

Edit: I just did a triple take and realized that this is in the Boys category. Esca (as well as my alternate suggestion of Enza) ONLY reads as a feminine suffix to me. /sorry!

1 Like