Esmae or Esme

I prefer [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] as that’s how I say it…but is that the “wrong” way to spell [name_f]Esme[/name_f]?

I would just spell it [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] !

2 Likes

You would need to correct people oftentimes, if you want it to be spelled [name_f]Esmae[/name_f].
[name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Esmé[/name_f] and [name_f]Esmée[/name_f] are the most recognisable variants I think.

1 Like

I do think you’d have to correct spelling a bit. I also say [name_f]Esme[/name_f] as ez-may.

2 Likes

Esme! It’s common enough that it should be easy for folks to catch on.

2 Likes

I would 100% stick to the [name_f]Esme[/name_f] or [name_f]Esmée[/name_f] spelling, personally.

1 Like

My name is [name_f]Kristina[/name_f]… growing up I can attest there are legit a million way to spell my name. I’ve trained myself as a result to go ahead and say “[name_f]Kristina[/name_f] with a K” when asked my name.

I say all that to say on NB [name_f]Esme[/name_f] seems to be the overall common spelling but I wouldn’t take that to mean it’s unheard off at all… according to its name page on NB it’s listed with that spelling as #103 for [name_f]England[/name_f]. If you live in the US [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] would actually help you out with the pronunciation aspect as often on this site it’s thrown around that some say [name_f]Esme[/name_f] one way while others instinctively say it another way.

My vote goes for [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] if that’s how you prefer it! :purple_heart:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f]

1 Like

Esme looks best to me

1 Like

Esme looks better to me :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f].

I don’t think it’s “wrong,” but I do think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is also pronounced the way you’re going for! I prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f] personally–and I think it would come with the fewest spelling/pronunciation challenges if that’s something you’re worried about–but I definitely think you should go with what you love best :yellow_heart:

I’m torn on this one. I do think most people pronounce [name_f]Esme[/name_f], the usual spelling, the way you want. In the north of [name_f]England[/name_f], and possibly [name_m]Wales[/name_m], there does seem to be an alternate pronunciation of Ez-mee. [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] has the advantage of guaranteeing the pronunciation that you want, but at the same time meaning you/she will mostly have to spell it out. I do like the look of [name_f]Esmae[/name_f]. Not much help here, but if in doubt I tend to go with the default spelling, in this case [name_f]Esme[/name_f].

1 Like

Esme

As a person that has a common name that can be spelled like 10 different ways - I’ve had to spell out my name and correct people my entire life. It’s an annoying hassle and kind of a downer that takes away from having my name. I think it’s part of why I’ve always gone by a nickname. 100% I would pick the most commonly recognized spelling for this - ESME.

1 Like

I would just spell it [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] looks wrong to me personally