Esme or Emmeline?

A sister for Sadie & Nora - is she to be Esme or Emmeline?

For me Emmeline has been a long-standing favourite but I am mindful that whilst I pronounce it “Emma-leen”, there are others who err towards “Emma-line” or “Emma-lyn” and am I relegating my daughter to a life of pronouncing and spelling her name?

3 Likes

You chose great names! I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] as a sister for your girls.

They both work really well !! [name_f]Esme[/name_f] feels more obviously matchy, but I like how [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] breaks the 2-syllable pattern. I think you should just go for whicever name you like more, they’re both lovely with your girls!

I have a name that needs to be corrected on the pronunciation sometimes, and it’s never really bothered me. It’s a quick fix! Spelling it is more annoying, but I don’t think that would be a big issue with [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f].

I adore the name [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]! It’s really sweet and elegant.
However, with sisters named Sadi3 and Nor@, [name_f]Esme[/name_f] gets my vote! I think it complements your sibset perfectly! [name_f]Esme[/name_f] has a gorgeous meaning that I adore :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I like saying [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] at the end of that list and like that it breaks up the syllable pattern, but I agree that [name_f]Esme[/name_f] suits the other two names better - together, they sounds like a jazz trio/ all sister pop band.

I really like [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] for you - Emma-leen is the pronunciation I’d probably guess! It’s sleek and elegant, but sweet and bubbly like your girls

Could you ask anyone around you how they’ve instinctively say it, to get a sense of how it will be said where you are? Maybe if you know any educators, anyone who has to conduct interviews or receptionists, ask them - as they would often see the name written first, rather than hear it from the person/parent?

Personally I prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f] with the other girls!

I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and hate mispronunciation so [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is my vote

I think you should go with [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] although I will say I naturally say “Emma-line” (east coast USA).

1 Like

I personally prefer Emmeline to Esmé because I like the more traditionally feminine names for girls. I would pronounce Emmeline like Emma-line but one bonus of naming your daughter Emmeline that you don’t get with Esme is that she can choose how she pronounces it.

Between three pronunciations and tons of spelling variations, an [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] would definitely need to clarify her spelling/pronunciation quite a bit.

I’m leaning more towards [name_f]Esme[/name_f], I like the shorter length with your other kids.

I prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but there’s not much between it so if [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] is a long standing love of yours I would go with that.

I would naturally pronounce [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] like Emma-leen - I think here in the UK that would be the default and what everyone would expect thanks to [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] Pankhurst…Emma-lyn/Emma-line would struggle a lot more with pronunciation and spelling.

I personally like [name_f]Esme[/name_f], and I think she’d fit perfectly with siblings [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]! I like that they’d all have short, sweet, lyrical names.

BUT if you love [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] that much, I would say go with it. [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] sound fun and sweet together too! I am one of those people who instinctively pronounce it as Emma-line (East [name_m]Coast[/name_m] USA), but if you’re willing to correct people it shouldn’t be an issue in the long run, it’ll catch on!

I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f] with your girls!!

I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but it sounds like you really prefer [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]. It’s not that big of a deal to correct pronunciation. I think you should pick the name you really like best.

I personally don’t like either very much. but I would say [name_f]Esme[/name_f] would go better would your other daughters names

Absolutely love [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but if you prefer [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] go with that. Personally I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] pronunciation is more variable (if no accent) - some say the [name_m]French[/name_m] way Ez-may, and others (like myself) use the Scottish pronunciation Ez-mie. The accent would indicate the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation but if none it could go either way and may need corrected though this could depend where you are geographically. I’ve never heard anyone pronounce [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] anything other than Emma-leen, but again not saying it doesn’t happen elsewhere (I’m in the UK).

I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] more with your other girls, but overall I prefer [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]!

I love both names!! They’re elegant and beautiful sounding, and give off vibes of organized, put-together girls, who have many talents, love looking pretty, and always wear hair ribbons.

[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] are lovely sister names! I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] goes the best with them.

Definitely [name_f]Esme[/name_f], both of the sisters have shorter names, and I just like the name [name_f]Esme[/name_f] much better!